Recommend
147 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11632 Posts
[1]  Prev «  95 , 96 , 97 , 98 , 99  Next »  [466] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Master Tanga Puzzle Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tanga [+] tangapuzzle [+] puzzle [+] news [+] [View All]
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"READ" is the first word of the directions
the next two letters I don't know about, but continue to read for more directions
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Prince George
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally!!

I was getting
Spoiler (click to reveal)
READ
but then kept running into
Spoiler (click to reveal)
SWDO
and abandoning that line of thought. Just keep going, and words will start to appear!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must just be retarded. I'm not getting anything.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Nitsche
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Those two letters are a compass direction
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chachito wrote:
Finally!!

I was getting
Spoiler (click to reveal)
READ
but then kept running into
Spoiler (click to reveal)
SWDO
and abandoning that line of thought. Just keep going, and words will start to appear!

Finally indeed! That got it for me. Although, I did get hung up for a bit because
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I mixed up west and east!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Kittel
United States
Beaver Dam
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
READ SW DOWN THE OTHER COLOR DIAGONALS


I assume something obvious should just jump out at me at this point.... wtf is wrong with me tonight? what am I missing about following those directions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Kittel
United States
Beaver Dam
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
v3rt1g0 wrote:
I got,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
READ SW DOWN THE OTHER COLOR DIAGONALS


I assume something obvious should just jump out at me at this point.... wtf is wrong with me tonight? what am I missing about following those directions?


Doh, Silly me. Yes. following those istructions does produce more instructions! I was just off a column.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Meeple
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, unless anyone is interested in either emailing what the heck you do, or posting some good salt, I fear this will be the first one I don't get since Tanga started. Sigh. I do no see anything, especially anything that someone can solve in two or four minutes.

Sigh again.shake


Ok, I got it, but only after refreshing my browser and seeing the hints here. I still don't see how you could get it in two minutes...and once again I am 143rd fastest. I am almost always the 143rd fastest. Isn't that wierd?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Kittel
United States
Beaver Dam
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsgottrocks wrote:
Well, unless anyone is interested in either emailing what the heck you do


GeekMail sent
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
Get off me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having done that, I now have no idea what the resulting sentence means. Should I apply the verb (second word) to the remaining words? That seems too long. Yet none of the K-----s are m---d in this puzzle, unless I'm missing something...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time ever, I am asking for major help, please e-mail me some major clues!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Kittel
United States
Beaver Dam
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
Having done that, I now have no idea what the resulting sentence means. Should I apply the verb (second word) to the remaining words? That seems too long. Yet none of the K-----s are m---d in this puzzle, unless I'm missing something...


No, don't apply the verb to the rest of the directions. Apply the directions to the default layout of a chess board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
Get off me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
Having done that, I now have no idea what the resulting sentence means. Should I apply the verb (second word) to the remaining words? That seems too long. Yet none of the K-----s are m---d in this puzzle, unless I'm missing something...


Ah, never mind. The word 'unmoved' really should just be ignored in the last step, and do it to all of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mrsgottrocks wrote:
Well, unless anyone is interested in either emailing what the heck you do, or posting some good salt, I fear this will be the first one I don't get since Tanga started. Sigh. I do no see anything, especially anything that someone can solve in two or four minutes.

Sigh again.shake


Warning - this is a pretty specific spoiler...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1 - reflect by swapping the columns 1->8, 2->7, 3->6 ... 8->1
2 - blank out every other letter starting with the second on the top row, and then continue so it looks like a checker board.
3 - across the bottom row - notice the word "READ". Continue to read the clue left to right, bottom to top.
4 - Then follow the directions applied to the original configuration of the puzzle (the SW stands for SouthWest)
5 - This will give you a second set of directions starting with the word "NOW"
4 - Apply to the letters in the "knight" positions on a chess board
...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Timmer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
pbleadfoot wrote:
mrsgottrocks wrote:
Well, unless anyone is interested in either emailing what the heck you do, or posting some good salt, I fear this will be the first one I don't get since Tanga started. Sigh. I do no see anything, especially anything that someone can solve in two or four minutes.

Sigh again.shake


Warning - this is a pretty specific spoiler...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1 - reflect by swapping the columns 1->8, 2->7, 3->6 ... 8->1
2 - blank out every other letter starting with the second on the top row, and then continue so it looks like a checker board.
3 - across the bottom row - notice the word "READ". Continue to read the clue left to right, bottom to top.
4 - Then follow the directions applied to the original configuration of the puzzle (the SW stands for SouthWest)
5 - This will give you a second set of directions starting with the word "NOW"
4 - Apply to the "knight" positions on a chess board
...


Yeah, I got all that. The down fall of this puzzle is:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It assumes we know what those positions are called. We're not all chess players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
timmertc wrote:
pbleadfoot wrote:
mrsgottrocks wrote:
Well, unless anyone is interested in either emailing what the heck you do, or posting some good salt, I fear this will be the first one I don't get since Tanga started. Sigh. I do no see anything, especially anything that someone can solve in two or four minutes.

Sigh again.shake


Warning - this is a pretty specific spoiler...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1 - reflect by swapping the columns 1->8, 2->7, 3->6 ... 8->1
2 - blank out every other letter starting with the second on the top row, and then continue so it looks like a checker board.
3 - across the bottom row - notice the word "READ". Continue to read the clue left to right, bottom to top.
4 - Then follow the directions applied to the original configuration of the puzzle (the SW stands for SouthWest)
5 - This will give you a second set of directions starting with the word "NOW"
4 - Apply to the letters in the "knight" positions on a chess board
...


Yeah, I got all that. The down fall of this puzzle is:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It assumes we know what those positions are called. We're not all chess players.

Knight Positions
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Knight Positions:
-X----X-
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
-X----X-
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Timmer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
pbleadfoot wrote:

Knight Positions
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Knight Positions:
-X----X-
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
--------
-X----X-


Rats, I thought it meant:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
apply it to the actual spot names, and I didn't know the spot names. Whatever does that word have to do with this puzzle??? (yes, I got it, but I don't like it. A fairly elaborate puzzle with a letdown solution.)


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just to clarify, I didn't get how the answer word was connected to the puzzle. I suppose it doesn't have to be, but I guess I expected it to relate somehow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
OM | Cal alum | Trekkie | BGG! | Crosswords | Lawyer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timmertc wrote:

Yeah, I got all that. The down fall of this puzzle is:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It assumes we know what those positions are called. We're not all chess players.


Yes, Tim, this is true, but this can at least be looked up. I'm not sure if you're a new Tanga puzzler, as well as being a new user here (welcome, by the way!), but if you are, I think this might explain your consternation:
Tanga puzzles, since they are on the Internet, have not only allowed, but occasionally, expected the users to look up some items at times (I'm especially thinking of the infamous Shanghai skyline puzzle, or the Strong Bad E-mails puzzle). Often, crossword puzzle-lovers find this scandalous, and even unfair (I did at first). Now, I've adjusted my puzzling steps accordingingly, adding a step called "What, if anything, must I look up, to understand the clues?"

-K
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F B
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
elaborate, let down, and annoying.

didn't like this one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Celtic One wrote:
elaborate, let down, and annoying.

didn't like this one

Ah well, there's always tomorrow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw in my 2 cents - I never could find "now" by reading the appropriate direction. I could get it by doing a checkers type; and never saw anything re: the letter positions. Once I did know those positions, determining the word became rather trivial. So without the heavy spoiled salt, this was impossible. And I play chess some...

My first mistake was thinking too literal - I was thinking one of the combination of letters needed to be reflected (as in using a mirror) and form a word. Must be my Physics background...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
pbleadfoot wrote:

Warning - this is a pretty specific spoiler...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1 - reflect by swapping the columns 1->8, 2->7, 3->6 ... 8->1
2 - blank out every other letter starting with the second on the top row, and then continue so it looks like a checker board.
3 - across the bottom row - notice the word "READ". Continue to read the clue left to right, bottom to top.
4 - Then follow the directions applied to the original configuration of the puzzle (the SW stands for SouthWest)
5 - This will give you a second set of directions starting with the word "NOW"
4 - Apply to the letters in the "knight" positions on a chess board
...


I got to 4, but I can't get to 5 from there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Contreras

Florida
msg tools
rocketkiwi wrote:
pbleadfoot wrote:

Warning - this is a pretty specific spoiler...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1 - reflect by swapping the columns 1->8, 2->7, 3->6 ... 8->1
2 - blank out every other letter starting with the second on the top row, and then continue so it looks like a checker board.
3 - across the bottom row - notice the word "READ". Continue to read the clue left to right, bottom to top.
4 - Then follow the directions applied to the original configuration of the puzzle (the SW stands for SouthWest)
5 - This will give you a second set of directions starting with the word "NOW"
4 - Apply to the letters in the "knight" positions on a chess board
...


I got to 4, but I can't get to 5 from there.


Same here, I am unsure of how to apply number 4 to get to 5. I must be over thinking this. Any other help on this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian duff
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
BoardGameGeek » Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General
Re: Master Tanga Puzzle Thread
crimsonclay wrote:
rocketkiwi wrote:
pbleadfoot wrote:

Warning - this is a pretty specific spoiler...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1 - reflect by swapping the columns 1->8, 2->7, 3->6 ... 8->1
2 - blank out every other letter starting with the second on the top row, and then continue so it looks like a checker board.
3 - across the bottom row - notice the word "READ". Continue to read the clue left to right, bottom to top.
4 - Then follow the directions applied to the original configuration of the puzzle (the SW stands for SouthWest)
5 - This will give you a second set of directions starting with the word "NOW"
4 - Apply to the letters in the "knight" positions on a chess board
...


I got to 4, but I can't get to 5 from there.


Same here, I am unsure of how to apply number 4 to get to 5. I must be over thinking this. Any other help on this?


You have to read the letters in a certain direction. You should already have some letters blocked out. Read the ones that aren't blocked out in a certain direction and you'll get another set of instructions
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
crimsonclay wrote:
rocketkiwi wrote:
pbleadfoot wrote:

Warning - this is a pretty specific spoiler...
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1 - reflect by swapping the columns 1->8, 2->7, 3->6 ... 8->1
2 - blank out every other letter starting with the second on the top row, and then continue so it looks like a checker board.
3 - across the bottom row - notice the word "READ". Continue to read the clue left to right, bottom to top.
4 - Then follow the directions applied to the original configuration of the puzzle (the SW stands for SouthWest)
5 - This will give you a second set of directions starting with the word "NOW"
4 - Apply to the letters in the "knight" positions on a chess board
...


I got to 4, but I can't get to 5 from there.


Same here, I am unsure of how to apply number 4 to get to 5. I must be over thinking this. Any other help on this?


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Numbering the columns ABCDEFGH and the rows 12345678
A1 = "N"
A3 = "O"
B2 = "W"
C1 = "A"
A5 = "N" ...

continue to "READ SW DOWN THE OTHER COLOR DIAGONALS"
Meaning, read southwest

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  95 , 96 , 97 , 98 , 99  Next »  [466] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.