Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

On Board Games» Forums » News

Subject: OBG 13: The Price of Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
On Board Games » Forums » News
OBG 13: The Price of Games

On Board Games Round Table
Don, Erik, and Scott, discuss manufacturers setting a maximum retail discount on their board games.

Stoplight Reviews
Agricola (Z-Man Games / Lookout Games)and reviewed by Scott
Pick & Pack(Z-Man Games) reviewed by Erik

Web Site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note, I'm sorry but this is a Ra-less episode. cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
Just a quick note, I'm sorry but this is a Ra-less episode. cry
Indeed. I'm sorry about that, it seems somehow indecent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great episode.

One question: Since Mayfair makes so much of their money on importing games from Europe, could this price fixing be used against them by their competition? For instance when a new game (that looks like it's going to be a real winner) comes out in Germany, couldn't Z-Man or Rio Grande emphasize with the designer and original publisher that they are going to make the game more popular by not being selective in their selling process? It just seems like Mayfair has really put themselves out on an island to stand up for what they think is right.

One comment: A few months ago a game store moved into my area. This has been a real treat for me because, until now, I basically couldn't see and feel these games live and in person until I made the online purchase. It has made me purchase games I never even considered because of the prospect of instant gratification and no shipping fees. Also, I have family members who are amazingly reluctant to shop online (especially the older ones.) This game shop has given me a physical location that I can recommend for them. The result is that I have probably been one of the game shops best customers, and I have received a lot more quality games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:
Just a quick note, I'm sorry but this is a Ra-less episode. cry


I don't know what you are talking about! My review was all about

"A-grick-o-Ra!"

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kuhlman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Oh, come on! I don't drink Coca-Co-RA!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arathorn73 wrote:
Oh, come on! I don't drink Coca-Co-RA!


But maybe you should.

Mmmm, that's good deity!


(Insert culturally insensitive remark here about Japanese soda.)

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kuhlman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
snicholson wrote:

But maybe you should.

Mmmm, that's good deity!


I prefer Doc-Thor Pepper for that. Electrically good taste worthy of thunderous applause.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Another great episode.
Thanks!

Blott wrote:
One question: Since Mayfair makes so much of their money on importing games from Europe, could this price fixing be used against them by their competition? For instance when a new game (that looks like it's going to be a real winner) comes out in Germany, couldn't Z-Man or Rio Grande emphasize with the designer and original publisher that they are going to make the game more popular by not being selective in their selling process? It just seems like Mayfair has really put themselves out on an island to stand up for what they think is right.

With this announcement it is likely that Mayfair products will be carried more broadly at many FLGS. Because most game buyers don't know jack about gaming news it is unlikely that most customers wont even notice a change in Mayfair pricing. (Even if it does cost them a few sales to board game news hounds.) BGG users and podcast listeners are better informed than most board gamers.

As far as costing them when importing products, I understand that in some countries this policy is not as much of a shock as it is here. Additionally Mayfair has a proven track record at getting quality games to market, and have developed strong relationships with several key designers and foreign game companies. In other words, I suspect the decision wont cost Mayfair in the way you propose. Who knows? they may prefer to do business with Mayfair because of this policy.

It is possible that this policy will cost them some opportunities with US game designers, but I suspect that most talented designers would still be interested in having Mayfair bring their game to market, should the game fit well into Mayfair's product portfolio.

Erik may have a better answer though.

Blott wrote:
One comment: A few months ago a game store moved into my area. This has been a real treat for me because ... The result is that I have probably been one of the game shops best customers, and I have received a lot more quality games.


Wow, sounds like a success story. I wish all FLGS relationships blossomed so well but, as mentioned in the podcast, some stores actually encourage people not to shop there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dear Blooper Reel,
I took you for granted, and now you left without even a note. I was foolish. I miss you. Come back.

I enjoyed the new guest host though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
Dear Blooper Reel,
I took you for granted, and now you left without even a note. I was foolish. I miss you. Come back.


I had no idea if people really liked them or they were a waste of bandwidth. How does everyone else feel about them? If they are missed I'll make the time to add them in in the future, when there is material.

Oh, I may have some un-played bloopers from old episodes, should I toss them or work them in to future blooper reels?

LurkingMeeple wrote:
I enjoyed the new guest host though.


New guest host? There was just Scott, Erik, and myself, the normal three of us. Though we would certainly be happy to have guest hosts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kuhlman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Walsfeo wrote:

I had no idea if people really liked them [bloope reels] or they were a waste of bandwidth. How does everyone else feel about them? If they are missed I'll make the time to add them in in the future, when there is material.


I liked 'em. I think they're worth it. I was quietly hoping there just wasn't material this time and that it'd definitely be back.

Arathorn
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:
I enjoyed the new guest host though.


New guest host? There was just Scott, Erik, and myself, the normal three of us. Though we would certainly be happy to have guest hosts.


Maybe he means the intro voice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Arathorn73 wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

I had no idea if people really liked them [bloope reels] or they were a waste of bandwidth. How does everyone else feel about them? If they are missed I'll make the time to add them in in the future, when there is material.

I liked 'em. I think they're worth it. I was quietly hoping there just wasn't material this time and that it'd definitely be back.
Excellent, I'll make sure to include them in the future. I know Erik likes them as well, so I'm sure he'll include blooper segments when he's editing.

beehive23 wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:
I enjoyed the new guest host though.
New guest host? There was just Scott, Erik, and myself, the normal three of us. Though we would certainly be happy to have guest hosts.
Maybe he means the intro voice.
Oh yeah! Connie, my fiancé, has started doing our intros. She was part of the in the first episode - in the Santy Anno review. She's expressed some willingness to do some reviews and possibly participate in other segments.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arathorn73 wrote:
I was quietly hoping there just wasn't material this time and that it'd definitely be back.


Oh, there's always material. Too much material. We probably cut as much as we leave in...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Oh, there's always material. Too much material. We probably cut as much as we leave in...

Indeed, but most of what I cut nobody wants to hear. I don't put dead air or me wheezing into the mic in the out takes.

And no need to hope quietly, please let us know what you like. Podcasters pretty much live on feedback.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
beehive23 wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:
I enjoyed the new guest host though.


New guest host? There was just Scott, Erik, and myself, the normal three of us. Though we would certainly be happy to have guest hosts.


Maybe he means the intro voice.


I assumed he meant Pierce (sp?).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
I assumed he meant Pierce (sp?).
Apparently I've used up my quota for being clever. I never even thought of Pierce or Connie.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asmiles wrote:
I assumed he meant Pierce (sp?).


Yes, I meant Erik's son. That kid really told Mayfair where to stick it.

Regarding the bloopers, I wouldn't dredge up any of the old stuff to add to the end of a show.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gurganus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent show guys. I thought this was a well thought out discussion of the pricing topic. It will be interesting to see who follows suit and not. I would hope this would be an opportunity for some smaller companies to get their games in front of more people as you talked about briefly.
Thanks for the Agricola review. It sounds like a lot of fun. As does Pick & Pack.
Thanks,
tomg
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
boffotom wrote:
Excellent show guys. I thought this was a well thought out discussion of the pricing topic. It will be interesting to see who follows suit and not. I would hope this would be an opportunity for some smaller companies to get their games in front of more people as you talked about briefly.

Thanks! We tried to talk about it from as many different angles as possible, both hobby-wide and an individual company/purchaser standpoint. Erik made it sound like we knew what we were talking about.
boffotom wrote:
Thanks for the Agricola review. It sounds like a lot of fun. As does Pick & Pack.
Yeah! New games for me to buy in any case, I haven't played either one of them!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kelley
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
As far as costing them when importing products, I understand that in some countries this policy is not as much of a shock as it is here.


In Australia what Mayfair is doing is actually illegal according to the trade practices act. I'm not sure what they would do if anyone actually decided to take them on locally. I suspect that the game prices available for Australian distribution might suddenly start to rise due to all sorts of "unrelated factors". It wouldn't be worth it for any of the smaller online retailers here to challenge them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
beehive23 wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:
I enjoyed the new guest host though.


New guest host? There was just Scott, Erik, and myself, the normal three of us. Though we would certainly be happy to have guest hosts.


Maybe he means the intro voice.


I assumed he meant Pierce (sp?).


Ah Piers. Any chance to grab the mic, my little 2 year old goes "I am a robot!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.