Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Lurker at the Threshold Expansion» Forums » News

Subject: PREVIEW: New Gates to Old Worlds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted to the Fantasy Flight Games website:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1407

Gates with special abilities! gulp
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far there's no part of this expansion that I don't like. I can't wait for this to hit the table!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This preview has changed my opinion of this expansion from "neutral" to "optimistic."

I hope that gate tokens for the 4 expansion Other Worlds are included, but I fear they are not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
This preview has changed my opinion of this expansion from "neutral" to "optimistic."

I hope that gate tokens for the 4 expansion Other Worlds are included, but I fear they are not.


I don't know why they wouldn't. So far FFG has a pretty good record about remembering to include stuff from the other expansions. When Kingsport came out, they provided Epic cards for the 4 GOOs in Dunwich. And Innsmouth provided personal stories for the characters in Dunwich and Kingsport, as well as Epic cards for their GOOs. No reason to think otherwise now.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Partizan242 wrote:
I don't know why they wouldn't. So far FFG has a pretty good record about remembering to include stuff from the other expansions. When Kingsport came out, they provided Epic cards for the 4 GOOs in Dunwich. And Innsmouth provided personal stories for the characters in Dunwich and Kingsport, as well as Epic cards for their GOOs. No reason to think otherwise now.


Plus the product description says there will be 18 Gate tokens in the box, so I think that's a good sign that it will cover all of the boards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original announcement/preview of Lurker actually said:

Quote:
One of the highlights is the full set of 18 Gate markers that are designed to replace those from the Arkham Horror core set, as well as those from The Dunwich Horror and The Kingsport Horror.


The expansion gates will be covered too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror: The Lurker at the Threshold Expansion » Forums » News
Re: PREVIEW: New Gates to Old Worlds
So, when a moving gates moves to vortex, what then? Can an investigator return to it? Once you close it, what then (investigators can't enter a vortex)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
So, when a moving gates moves to vortex, what then? Can an investigator return to it? Once you close it, what then (investigators can't enter a vortex)?

Uhh... good question Dam. Here are my three guesses:

1) They can't enter gates. They just stay there indefinitely. However, recall that when this same thing was asked of rifts, they were ruled to enter the vortexes. So...

2) They sit inside the vortex, and either when an investigator returns to the gate, or closes the gate, s/he is devoured. Whether or not this triggers the vortex effect is beyond me, but I'd hope it did.

3) Like a monster, it gets "eaten" and the vortex triggers. Clearly there is now no gate to which to return, so an investigator in that OW is LiTaS when s/he tries to return. Whether or not monsters are removed from the board because of the closed gate is another thing I could only guess at.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
The original announcement/preview of Lurker actually said:

Quote:
One of the highlights is the full set of 18 Gate markers that are designed to replace those from the Arkham Horror core set, as well as those from The Dunwich Horror and The Kingsport Horror.


The expansion gates will be covered too.


Thanks! It has been so long since that announcement. I plain forgot.

So this part of the expansion will be usable without the Herald. Score one big point for Lurker over, say, the Black Goat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support this website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
...recall that when this same thing was asked of rifts, they were ruled to enter the vortexes.

Are you sure? I seem to recall the ruling being that they stay on the space in front of the vortex but still apply the effect as if they had moved. So the rift would basically sit there dumping monsters into the vortex until someone closes it.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxx wrote:
kungfro wrote:
...recall that when this same thing was asked of rifts, they were ruled to enter the vortexes.

Are you sure? I seem to recall the ruling being that they stay on the space in front of the vortex but still apply the effect as if they had moved. So the rift would basically sit there dumping monsters into the vortex until someone closes it.



"[KH] 3. What happens if a Rift appears in Kingsport and moves into a Vortice? I would say it simply remains there, spitting out a monster that instantly passes through the vortice every time it is supposed to move, but again, the rulebook doesn't say. (06/13/08)

If a rift moves into a vortex, it just sits there, as you surmised. Note that a rift will still add a doom token / spit out monsters if it cannot move. The drawing of the proper dimensional symbol on a mythos card is the trigger for that, NOT the actual movement."

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guybrush Threepwood
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you seal a gate that moved into a street area? I guess the street gets a sealed token.
What now if a moving gate runs into a sealed street? Does it stop? Break the seal? Ignore the seal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh heh... GATE OF DOOM! heh heh....

Now I want this expansion even more because it has something called The GATE OF DOOM!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TillScout wrote:
What if you seal a gate that moved into a street area? I guess the street gets a sealed token.
What now if a moving gate runs into a sealed street? Does it stop? Break the seal? Ignore the seal?


And what if you're playing with the Innsmouth board and the Gate at Devil Reef picks up and walks into a Vortex?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
And what if you're playing with the Innsmouth board and the Gate at Devil Reef picks up and walks into a Vortex?

Dam brought that up earlier in the thread, actually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.