$10.00
Kevin Kahn
United States
BALTIMORE
Maryland
flag msg tools
This came situation came up while playing Keldon's R4tG program and was wondering if it was a bug or not.

I have 2 alien planets out already and I use Imperium Planet Buster to "takeover and destroy" an alien planet. In the program I didn't get the "first to 3 alien" goal though I expected to. However, I had rebel freedom fighters and I got 3 prestige from taking over and destroying a rebel planet (2 from buster, 1 from start world) so I'm assuming things happen as if you had played the card into your tableau.

I'm also assuming that once you get a first goal, you can't lose it (i.e. if I get the "first to have every power" due to playing R&D and I later discard R&D, i still get to keep the "first goal").

I want to say it's a bug...but just wanted to check
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In takeovers it specifically says that benefits for placing a world also apply for taking over. Achieving a goal, however, is only checked at the end of a phase. At the end of the phase the Alien world that you destroyed no longer exists.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A screenshot and version # of the program would help, as those can uncover things that could be missed with just text descriptions.

FrostyM288 wrote:
This came situation came up while playing Keldon's R4tG program and was wondering if it was a bug or not.

I have 2 alien planets out already and I use Imperium Planet Buster to "takeover and destroy" an alien planet. In the program I didn't get the "first to 3 alien" goal though I expected to.
The way that worked is correct. The reason why people say "you put the world onto your tableau, then discard it" is to let it be known that you DO receive settles bonuses from using IPB to destroy worlds. Specifically, the III rebates since the wording on those always say "... you place a --- world".

Since goals being claimed from the center are checked at the end of a phase, the 3rd card with ALIEN on it was on your tableau, but then discarded immediately. You then check your tableau, and you still only have 2 ALIEN cards on there.

FrostyM288 wrote:
However, I had rebel freedom fighters and I got 3 prestige from taking over and destroying a rebel planet (2 from buster, 1 from start world) so I'm assuming things happen as if you had played the card into your tableau.


The difference between this and the ALIEN example above is RFF gives you the PP as it's placed on your tableau (so it's part of those III bonuses that are kicking in). As mentioned, it works differently with goals since they're checked at the END of the phase, whereas you get the PP right away for destroying a REBEL military world with IPB + RFF.


FrostyM288 wrote:
I'm also assuming that once you get a first goal, you can't lose it (i.e. if I get the "first to have every power" due to playing R&D and I later discard R&D, i still get to keep the "first goal").

I want to say it's a bug...but just wanted to check
That's correct. however, make sure you would've gotten the goal when you placed just R&D. NOT b/c you placed another dev, and discarded R&D from your tableau ot pay for that "another dev".
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kahn
United States
BALTIMORE
Maryland
flag msg tools
Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War » Forums » Rules
Re: Imperium Planet Buster + first goals (in relation to Keldon's program)
Thanks guys...was unaware of the "check goal at end of phase".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.