$10.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War» Forums » Rules

Subject: How does the prestige leader work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you please explain how the prestige leader mechanism is supposed to work and what is the purpose of it? Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
At the start of each round, everyone evaluates how many prestige points they have. If one person has the most, then he gets a point and a card. If more than one person is tied for the most, then each player with the most gets a point, but neither gets a card.

The purpose of it is to add another tactic to the game, I suppose. I'm not the designer, so I can't really add more than that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
At the start of each round, everyone evaluates how many prestige points they have. If one person has the most, then he gets a point and a card. If more than one person is tied for the most, then each player with the most gets a point, but neither gets a card.

The purpose of it is to add another tactic to the game, I suppose. I'm not the designer, so I can't really add more than that.


The "gets a point and a card" is only true on the first turn after the the prestige leader gets the lead. On subsequent turns, the leader only gets a vp each turn. Then once someone else takes the lead, they get a point and a card, and a point on subsequent turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not quite right. The leader gains a card if they are in sole possession of most prestige and they gained at least one prestige at some point on the previous turn.

Note that gain a prestige just means they got a prestige chip at some point, not necessarily that they have more prestige at the end of the turn then at the beginning.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bmacfarlane wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
At the start of each round, everyone evaluates how many prestige points they have. If one person has the most, then he gets a point and a card. If more than one person is tied for the most, then each player with the most gets a point, but neither gets a card.

The purpose of it is to add another tactic to the game, I suppose. I'm not the designer, so I can't really add more than that.


The "gets a point and a card" is only true on the first turn after the the prestige leader gets the lead. On subsequent turns, the leader only gets a vp each turn. Then once someone else takes the lead, they get a point and a card, and a point on subsequent turns.


That is really what I was wondering, because it seemed like that was what the rules were trying to say by getting you to place the prestige chips on the tile when you earn them, but it was confusing.

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlock wrote:
bmacfarlane wrote:
Verkisto wrote:
At the start of each round, everyone evaluates how many prestige points they have. If one person has the most, then he gets a point and a card. If more than one person is tied for the most, then each player with the most gets a point, but neither gets a card.

The purpose of it is to add another tactic to the game, I suppose. I'm not the designer, so I can't really add more than that.


The "gets a point and a card" is only true on the first turn after the the prestige leader gets the lead. On subsequent turns, the leader only gets a vp each turn. Then once someone else takes the lead, they get a point and a card, and a point on subsequent turns.


That is really what I was wondering, because it seemed like that was what the rules were trying to say by getting you to place the prestige chips on the tile when you earn them, but it was confusing.

Thanks!
The designer mentioned that the whole reason you put a PP (Prestige Point) on the PL (Prestile Lead) tile is so that memory issues will be moot. In other words, you won't need to remember if player 2 got a PP at some point last round. If you're doing your bookkeeping, then just look down on the PL tile.

So some examples inclue:
p1 through p3 are player 1 through player 3

Round 1
--p1 gains a PP on II phase
--p1 has the most PP, so he places that PP on the PL tile

Round 2
--starting off p1 has 1 PP, p2 has 0, p3 has 0, AND p1's PP is on the PL tile
--p1 removes that PP on the PL tile, puts it in front of him (to show that it's still his), and then draws a card and a VP

Round 3
--starting off, nothing changed from the previous round. P1 still has 1 PP, p2 0, and p3 0
--Since the PP isn't on the PL, p1 only takes on VP, NO CARD!
--p2 gains a PP. Since p1 and p2 both have 1 PP, the PL tile goes to the center, = sign face up

Round 4
--Start of this round, p1 and p2 are tied at 1 PP each, so they each take 1 VP.



Note that "gaining a PP" and "having a PP on the PL tile" aren't the same thing. For example..

Round 1
--p1 has 2 PP. P2 has 1 PP
II phase
--p2 gains 1 PP
--p1 has 2 PP while p2 now has 2 PP
--PL tile goes to center
IV
--p1 spends a PP
--p1 now has 1 PP while p2 still has 2 PP

Round 2
--starting off, even though p1 has 1 PP while p2 has more PP at 2, since p2 wasn't able to put a PP on the PL tile, p2 only gets to get a VP, NO CARD!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us still unsure, the post immediately above by ackmondual is the only one with a completely correct answer so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War » Forums » Rules
Re: How does the prestige leader work?
mlock wrote:
Could you please explain how the prestige leader mechanism is supposed to work and what is the purpose of it? Thanks.

+ The prestige leader (including ties > 0) is rewarded with 1 VP at the start of each round.

This rewards simply being the prestige leader. The tie rule rewards "catching" the current prestige leader.


+ If a sole prestige leader gained 1+ prestige during the previous round (while achieving and/or maintaining *sole* prestige leadership), then the prestige leader *also* draws a card at the start of the next round.

In the typical case (where the prestige lead didn't devolve to a player due to the current or a tied leader spending prestige), the player who *becomes* sole prestige leader is rewarded with a card draw (plus a VP).

Requiring the sole prestige leader to gain new prestige each round to draw a card forces that player to "work" for this extra bonus (usually making a particular phase call much more predictable).

The sequence "as sole prestige leader, gain another prestige, then draw a card and 1 VP at the start of the next round" is one of three ways that "prestige engines" can be viable game strategies.


+ Mechanically, the prestige lead is tracked with the Prestige Leader tile as A) prestige can both be gained and spent during a round in various ways and B) prestige gains don't last beyond a round for drawing cards.

This is done so players don't have to remember things from one phase to the next. The detailed rules implement this for many different cases.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Rodney Smith, you have a call on line 1 from "The Brink of War." He says it's important and he needs your help right away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.