Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doom as a reward... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that (like in the Android version) a doom reward means that I REMOVE a doom token... but I noticed that in the rules there is no mention of that.

In the Android version the icon has been changed, to show that you remove the token. But the Android version has many differences...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played that a Doom "reward" is just like a Doom penalty - you add a marker to the track.

It adds an interesting additional factor to whether you take on a given adventure.

I think that's borne out by the fact the O:ES uses a different symbol for removing a counter.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
I've always played that a Doom "reward" is just like a Doom penalty - you add a marker to the track.

It adds an interesting additional factor to whether you take on a given adventure.

I think that's borne out by the fact the O:ES uses a different symbol for removing a counter.


In ES:O you never get to remove doom tokens: doom as a reward means that you add a doom token. I tend to avoid these tasks, but sometimes, the reward is so usefull that the doom token won't be an issue (especially since I often end up with no more than 2-3 doom tokens, by the end of a game)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
Beloch wrote:
I've always played that a Doom "reward" is just like a Doom penalty - you add a marker to the track.

It adds an interesting additional factor to whether you take on a given adventure.

I think that's borne out by the fact the O:ES uses a different symbol for removing a counter.


In ES:O you never get to remove doom tokens: doom as a reward means that you add a doom token. I tend to avoid these tasks, but sometimes, the reward is so usefull that the doom token won't be an issue (especially since I often end up with no more than 2-3 doom tokens, by the end of a game)


This is very strange. Some cards in the Android version make more sense: Elder sign is more thematic, you add an elder sign and you remove a doom token. Some cards seem interesting only if you remove the token, or they are nearly useless.
I still think that the Android game is 90% similar to the physical one, and this major difference appears... strange. I don't understand it.

Normally you need more elder signs than the doom track length, so adding an elder sign AND a doom token makes things worse. The only situation where this can be a viable choice is if the doom track is far behind the limit and you really need some elder sign to win. Or if all other cards are worse!


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
Beloch wrote:
I've always played that a Doom "reward" is just like a Doom penalty - you add a marker to the track.

It adds an interesting additional factor to whether you take on a given adventure.

I think that's borne out by the fact the O:ES uses a different symbol for removing a counter.


In ES:O you never get to remove doom tokens: doom as a reward means that you add a doom token. I tend to avoid these tasks, but sometimes, the reward is so usefull that the doom token won't be an issue (especially since I often end up with no more than 2-3 doom tokens, by the end of a game)


I think you're wrong. In the latest update there is a new reward - it looks like a Doom symbol with a cross or line through it. It removes a Doom token from the Doom track.

At least, I'm 99% sure that this is the case. For iOS.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it as a penalty (i.e., a cost) for exploring that room, just as the monster icon means "Add a monster".
Thematically, it's like saying that your investigator is rummaging around in that location, unearthing arcane thisthatandtheothers and...oops...has to get a bit closer to the final awakening in order to get their hard-earned knowledge or prize.
(Plus, doesn't removing Doom tokens just make this game even easier?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Doom token as reward makes sense thematically.
As the investigators close in on the cultists, they frantically proceed with their dark ritual to awaken the GOO (or a myrad of other explanations, that make sense).

In fact with the new update for ES:O as a reward there is the possibility the have a Doom token removed (a crossed through Doom - like explained earlier).

Give it just one try - and you will know ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
CptWasp wrote:
I assume that (like in the Android version) a doom reward means that I REMOVE a doom token... but I noticed that in the rules there is no mention of that.

In the Android version the icon has been changed, to show that you remove the token. But the Android version has many differences...

Just to be clear, for the boardgame if the Doom icon appears as either a Penalty or a Reward on an Adventure card then a Doom token is added to the Doom track.

The rules confirm this, on page 8 of Rewards and Penalties it does state...
Quote:
Note that sometimes a reward may not be to a player’s benefit or a penalty may sometimes help him.

So having a Doom token added as a reward fits this.

In addition, nowhere in the rules (under this section or any other) does it mention that a Doom token is ever removed as a reward. In fact the only time you get to remove Doom tokens from the Doom track is during the Final Battle.

An example of "a penalty may sometimes help him" is the Clue token as a Penalty on the Administration Office Adventure card. If you fail this adventure card, then you gain a Clue token, you do not lose one. If you succeed, you gain 2 Clue tokens, but if you fail it then you still gain the Clue token (and lose 1 Sanity).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
CptWasp wrote:
I assume that (like in the Android version) a doom reward means that I REMOVE a doom token... but I noticed that in the rules there is no mention of that.

In the Android version the icon has been changed, to show that you remove the token. But the Android version has many differences...

Just to be clear, for the boardgame if the Doom icon appears as either a Penalty or a Reward on an Adventure card then a Doom token is added to the Doom track.

The rules confirm this, on page 8 of Rewards and Penalties it does state...
Quote:
Note that sometimes a reward may not be to a player’s benefit or a penalty may sometimes help him.

So having a Doom token added as a reward fits this.

In addition, nowhere in the rules (under this section or any other) does it mention that a Doom token is ever removed as a reward. In fact the only time you get to remove Doom tokens from the Doom track is during the Final Battle.

An example of "a penalty may sometimes help him" is the Clue token as a Penalty on the Administration Office Adventure card. If you fail this adventure card, then you gain a Clue token, you do not lose one. If you succeed, you gain 2 Clue tokens, but if you fail it then you still gain the Clue token (and lose 1 Sanity).


I agree, but the Android/iOS version seems to rethink (or correct?) this. I don't speak of the new adventures of the Chtulhu expansion, but of base cards like the adventure "Elder Sign" (I hope this is its right name in the English version, I own the Italian one).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
See also this:

http://videogamegeek.com/thread/787986/removing-doom-tokens
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Elder Sign » Forums » Rules
Re: Doom as a reward...
CptWasp wrote:
I agree, but the Android/iOS version seems to rethink (or correct?) this. I don't speak of the new adventures of the Chtulhu expansion, but of base cards like the adventure "Elder Sign" (I hope this is its right name in the English version, I own the Italian one).

Correct, Elder Sign is the name of the Adventure card that has the Doom icon as a Reward. It is the only Adventure card of the boardgame that has this as a Reward. There are four Other World Adventure cards with a Doom token as a Reward but they are Other World, not normal Adventure cards.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that FFG simply got this incorrect in the original rules. We have seen plenty of other errors in the rulebook (such as the Wildcard icon on the red die can be used as a 4 Investigation, not as a 1 Investigation).

It might be only now that the app designers noticed this (or at least highlighted the issue) and have now taken steps to correct this. Admittedly, it does make the game easier but so did most of the other correction in the FAQ.

Maybe we will see this added to a future FAQ, that Doom icons as a Reward means you remove a Doom token on the Doom track. It doesn't break the game if this is implemented, certain clarifications will be needed but it can work. Yes, it makes the game easier but it makes those four Other World Adventure cards worthwhile because currently they aren't much of a reward considering you need to complete two Adventure cards to obtain the Reward (the original Adventure card that has an Other World icon as well as the OW Adventure card).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel beaupain
Netherlands
amersfoort
utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Administration office advanture card, it has as a penalty; insanity and clue symbol. Does that mean you would lose a clue then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
shmugle wrote:
On the Administration office advanture card, it has as a penalty; insanity and clue symbol. Does that mean you would lose a clue then?

Errr, no. The exact opposite.

As I said in my post above, you gain a Clue token.
xris wrote:
An example of "a penalty may sometimes help him" is the Clue token as a Penalty on the Administration Office Adventure card. If you fail this adventure card, then you gain a Clue token, you do not lose one. If you succeed, you gain 2 Clue tokens, but if you fail it then you still gain the Clue token (and lose 1 Sanity).

This is an example of what the rulebook (on page 8) means when it says "a penalty may sometimes help".

You failed the Adventure card (Administration Office) and take the Penalty... which means you lose 1 Sanity and gain 1 Clue token.

Read the section on page 8. Nowhere does it mention that it is possible to lose a Clue token, either as a Penalty or as a Reward.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
shmugle wrote:
On the Administration office advanture card, it has as a penalty; insanity and clue symbol. Does that mean you would lose a clue then?

Errr, no. The exact opposite.

As I said in my post above, you gain a Clue token.
xris wrote:
An example of "a penalty may sometimes help him" is the Clue token as a Penalty on the Administration Office Adventure card. If you fail this adventure card, then you gain a Clue token, you do not lose one. If you succeed, you gain 2 Clue tokens, but if you fail it then you still gain the Clue token (and lose 1 Sanity).

This is an example of what the rulebook (on page 8) means when it says "a penalty may sometimes help".

You failed the Adventure card (Administration Office) and take the Penalty... which means you lose 1 Sanity and gain 1 Clue token.

Read the section on page 8. Nowhere does it mention that it is possible to lose a Clue token, either as a Penalty or as a Reward.



Obviously I played it the other way blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish they would have spent a little more time with the board game rules initially. Also wish they would focus a little more on the board game and a little less on the Android version now (I'm a tad biased because I own the board game of course). cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
zanti_misfit wrote:
Wish they would have spent a little more time with the board game rules initially. Also wish they would focus a little more on the board game and a little less on the Android version now (I'm a tad biased because I own the board game of course). cry


I agree. I own both versions and I think that the "right" one is the Android one, and I feel this strange at least.

After some more playing I must say that the external words with the "doom reward" are often just a waste of time; normally I end ignoring them. Much more fun considering them like in the Android version.

But I fully agree that the game is just too simple, after maybe 12 plays I have never lost (4 random investigators).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.