(from the back of the box:)
The German Wehmacht stands at the pinnacle of its last season of blitzkrieg. Embattled German troops hold most of the city of Stalingrad but the flanks are covered with less dependable Axis allied units. Opposing these flanks are the shock troops of the 1942 Soviet winter counteroffensive. They are poised to encircle Stalingrad and turn the tide of the war.
This game covers the Soviet counteroffensive and the German operations to hold the pincers apart and (if that fails) to relieve the Stalingrad pocket. Soviet play requires the use of a ponderous and fragile weapon of great size (the Red Army of 1942). German play requires sabre-like use of mobile reserves in hit and run attacks.
2nd Edition SP:
This is the second edition of Stalingrad Pocket, winner of the 1992 CSR Award for Best WW2 Game. It includes a reworked map and Order of Battle (utilizing Enemy at the Gates, the 1994 CSR Best WW2 Game award winner). It also applies the series rules version 1.6 used in its sister games Yom Kippur and Ardennes.
SPII adds the following features to make play even more interesting:
- Determined Attacks and Defenses
- Air Power
- Artillery Barrage attacks
- Limited use of "dead unit count" victory conditions.
- Easy to learn and use game system.
- Dynamic and Fluid situation
- Balance of Military and Political Victory Conditions required to win
- Fast and Furious Action
- Player Skill is highly rewarded
- One Full·Color, 22x34" Map
- 560 Die-Cut Counters
- Series Rules
- Game Rules
- Three Major Scenarios
- Two Dice
- Playing Time: 3 to 15 Hours
- Unit Scale: Battalions and above
- Time Length: 2 Days
- Hex Scale: 10 Kilometers
Solitaire suitability: High