The Battle of Kasserine Pass in Tunisia, 1943.
The system is an amalgamation of Vance von Borries's Invasion: Sicily (including the extremely importantly efficiency ratings) and East Front System (Typhoon; Barbarossa Trilogy), with some accommodation for the smaller scale; the game should be quite familiar to veterans of these games.
(from GMT website:)
As Rommels veteran Panzerarmee withdrew into Tunisia from Libya during 1943, Axis command thought it had a realistic chance to reverse their fortunes in Africa by skillful counter-offensive. On Valentine's Day, the most dangerous of these began. As the Axis player, put on Rommel's goggles and guide your mobile and highly efficient German troops to a major victory that could change the war. As the Allied player, take up your binoculars and assemble your powerful, yet fragile, allied army of Americans, British, and French to decisively defeat the "Desert Fox." You command the tanks, artillery, infantry, and aircraft that decided this fateful battle.
Kasserine features the best existing detailed Order of Battle developed from extensive research by an international team. Game units include commandos, engineers, HQs, motorcycle troops, a wide variety of tanks including Tiger tanks, the dreaded Geman 88mm flak guns, and a variety of aircraft. Experienced players will find most game mechanics to be familiar and the newcomer will find help from the many examples of play. Featured items include ranged artillery and artillery fire nets, combat coordination, defender reaction and counter-attack, and minefields. All units are also rated for efficiency.
- Faid Pass - 30 January to 1 February, 6 turns, centered on the Faid Pass quadrant. [...]
- Kasserine Campaign - 14 to 23 February, 20 turns, full map. [...]
- The Axis Decide - 19 to 23 February, 10 turns, full map. [...]
- Thala - 21 to 23 February, 6 turns, the western half of the map. [...]
- Red Bull at Fondouk Pass - 27 to 29 March, 5 turns, centered on the Fondouk Pass area. [...]
- Second Battle of Fondouk - 8 to 9 April, 4 turns, centered on the Fondouk Pass area. [...]
TIME SCALE Half day per turn
MAP SCALE 2 miles per hex
UNIT SCALE Battalion & Company
NUMBER OF PLAYERS One or two
DESIGNER Vance von Borries
DEVELOPER Tony Curtis & Gene Billingsley
ART DIRECTOR Rodger B. MacGowan
MAP ART Mark Simonitch
COUNTER ART Mark Simonitch