(from the back of the box:)
At the beginning of 1943, the Red Armies facing Army Group North had lifted the siege of Leningrad. In order to enlarge the lifeline into the city, they attacked thc Axis Forces holding its flanks.
The Spanish Blue: In the euphoria surrounding the German invasion of Russia in 1941 the Spanish government raised an infantry division of volunteers to assist the fight against Bolshevism.
The Battle: Black Wednesday covers the Battle of Krasni Bor. It begins with a typical Soviet artillery barrage followed by the "Urrah!" of swarms of Soviet infantrymen. The newly anointed 63rd Guards Rifle Division led the attack with support by the 72nd Rifle Division (a former Ukrainian Penal unit) and part of the 43rd Rifle Division. Further support for the attack came from the T·26, T·34, and KV -1 tanks of the 1st Red Banner Tank Brigade. It was a full Soviet combined arms force striking a skilled dug in enemy.
The Game: Black Wednesday is a full-force TCS treatment of a typical Eastern Front action-massive preparatory barrages against front-line trenches, waves of stubborn Soviet infantrymen, embattled knots of hedgehogged defenders.
Black Wednesday highlights the doctrine and capabilities of massed Red Army troops and the skill, and elan of the elite Spanish Volunteers.
- Streamlined Third Edition Game System with the same series rules as Hunters from the Sky.
- Furious situation as the Soviets make a massed assault, the Spanish conduct a grim defense and the Germans come to counterattack.
- First game ever to allow players to fire the largest Railroad Gun in history - the 800mm Gun DORA-as a variant.
- Player Skill is highly rewarded.
- One Counter Tray
- Two Full-Color. 22x34' Map
- 1.040 Die-Cut Counters
- Series Rules
- Game Rules
- Two 2·Color Charts & Tables Booklets
- Eight Major Scenarios
- Two Dice
Game number 7 in the Gamers Tactical Combat Series. Black Wednesday covers the battle of Krasni Bor in February 1943: The Spanish Blue Division against the Red Army south of Leningrad.