The Hell of Stalingrad is an historical card-driven game simulating the massive urban battle that changed the course of WWII. The Hell of Stalingrad uses revolutionary mechanics to put players directly in the action as they commit division Formations and battalion Units.
The focus of the game is combat over colorful Building Cards representing actual Stalingrad locations bitterly contested during the battle such as the Grain Elevator, the Traktor Factory and Pavlov’s House.
The German commander will use his disciplined veterans and German Doctrines to batter through the fortified strongholds and reach the Volga River. Assisting him will be Panzer Divisions, Kampfgruppen and elite Pioneer assault teams.
The Soviet commander must hold the city with a battered army of patriotic conscripts. Reinforcements must brave Luftwaffe attacks as they attempt to cross the Volga River and reach Stalingrad. Those who survive will be thrown into the carnage. The Soviets must hold out and prevent the invaders from capturing the entire city at all costs. The tide of the war depends on their resolve!
The Hell of Stalingrad focuses on key aspects of the battle:
- Historical commanders leading the armies. General Paulus commands the German 6th Army and General Lopitan the Soviet 62nd. However, Hitler and Stalin want immediate victory and will replace them if they fail!
- The role of historical formations such as Kampfgruppe Stahl and the 10th NKVD.
- Fires from bombardment and shelling aids the Germans and turns Stalingrad into a massive inferno of ruins.
- The influence of Strategic level events on player's decisions in tactical battles.
- The timely acts of heroes such as Panzer ace Von Loringhoven and Soviet sniper Vasilli Zaitsev affecting a battle.
- 200 Combat, Formation and Campaign Cards divided into Basic, Expert and Advanced, adding to play dynamics and subtlety of tactics.
- 30 Stalingrad Building & Tracking Cards
- 219 Game Counters
- Rules of Play, QRS Sheets