Favorite Games in your Collection by Number of Players
What are your favorite games for each player range level. Try to only include games in your personal collection only. A single game may fill multiple player number slots. Out of all of the games you've listed, pick the single game out of your collection that you enjoy playing the most. When making a game selection at each player number, assume you have the right game group to play the game with (i.e. One that enjoys the game as much as you therefore providing maximum enjoyment of the given game at that player number).
Feel free to comment on why you've selected the games for each player number. Commenting is not required.
I play board games with brussel sprouts balanced on my head... in Brussels!
I also play FFXIV: ARR. If you play, too... get in touch! Geekmail me or find me on the Midgardsormr server. Lito Lightcaster
Dominion with all expansions
1. Not sure if it counts, but when I'm by myself, I tend to play Dominion online. But that is usually against some nameless stranger so I'll call that one player.
Race for the Galaxy with various expansions
2. This recently discovered gem certainly takes the two player spot. My wife and I love to play this when we are short on time (we tend to love longer deep strategy Euros).
3. I can't understand why so many people don't like this game. It is the perfect balance of struggle at each "harvest" and building up your strategy. Sometimes I'll play a strategy without ships because I just love that struggle to "eat".
Ora et Labora
4. A four player game... perfected. This game takes the best elements from Agricola and Le Harve, and makes one of the most fun (and deep) Euro experiences out there. I never get tired of playing it.
Agricola and sometimes the FotM Expansion
5. Personally, I think the Farmers of the Moor Expansion adds to the game, but I can see why some people don't like it. They are afraid of messing with the original. Honestly, Agricola originally pulled me into the world of Board Gaming, and has a special place in my heart. You want to talk about gateway games? This literally was my gateway game, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. No way Ticket to Ride, Catan, or Carcassonne would've gotten me.
6. I just played this game for the first time a few weeks ago... and I've played it every chance I've gotten since. It is about time I can play a deep Euro Strategy game with more than 5 players. And while I usually don't like cut throat games, this one doesn't feel like it since we're all just trying to survive.
7 Wonders with the Expansions
7. 7 Wonders is a great game. Add to that the Leaders Expansion, and you have an excellent 7 player experience without any long waiting you sometimes have to deal with when there are a lot of players. I hear the Cities Expansion will add some more strategy... which, as you can tell by now, I crave.
8+. Usually when I hit the 8 person mark, I prefer splitting the group and doing 2 four player games.
Master of the Waz
1 Player: Zombie in my Pocket
This is a fun little solo game. It fits in your pocket and you can play anywhere.
2 Player: Chess
My most played game for sure. I play almost every day.
3 Player: Puerto Rico
I have played this with 2-5. I like it at any of those number, but probably fits best right here at 3 (maybe 4, but that spot is taken).
4 Player: Chaos in the Old World
I don't really like to play this one with 3. Always with 4 so I had to put it here for sure. There are a couple others that could go in this spot as top 4 player games.
5 Player: Descent: The Road to Legend
I'll play this with other number of players too even though its supposed to be 5. I play with 2 or 3 just as often as 5. Love this game though.
6 Player: Scotland Yard
I try to only play this with exactly 6 people.
7 Player: Robo Rally
This one is fun with pretty much any number. More players = more chaos though.
8 Player: Nanuk
This one is better with more people. I have played with the minimum 5, but much better with 8.
winner / runner up
1 Player: Sentinels of the Multiverse / Mage Knight
2 Player: BattleCON / Race for the Galaxy (this is the spot with the most competition)
3 Player: 7 Wonders / Race for the Galaxy (spot with the 2nd most competition)
4 Player: Race for the Galaxy / Eminent Domain
5 Player: Race for the Galaxy / Glory to Rome
6 Player: Cosmic Encounter / 7 Wonders
7 Player: 7 Wonders / Shadow Hunters
8 Players: Shadow Hunters (no competition)
1p---N/A (if I want to play solo, I play video games)
2p---Hellas (the back-and-forths in Hellas make for superb gameplay)
3p---Lord of the Rings
3p---Pandemic; Descent: Journeys in the Dark
Board Game: Go
[Average Rating:7.70 Overall Rank:75]
1 player: Go
2 players: Go, of course
3 players: Three is an awkward group.
4 players: Settlers of Catan
5 players: Shogun (Runner up: Age of Renaissance)
6 players: Here I Stand
7 players: Diplomacy. I'm really sad that all the 7 player slots aren't Diplomacy...
8+ players: For this size you really need a party game. Taboo, Fictionary, and Mao are all favorites.
What? You make with the funny stuff?
The Ginger Ninja
OK, sorry, impossible to pick just one for each:
1) Labyrinth: The War on Terror & London (With Varient)
2) Twilight Struggle & Agricola
3) Troyes & Tammany Hall
4) Brass & Puero Rico
5) Automobile & Santiago
6) Struggle of Empires & Survive
7) 7 Wonders
8) Citadels & Elder Sign
4. Lords of Vegas
5. Tammany Hall
6. Dominant Species
7. Cards Against Humanity
It had to be done...
1. Busen Memo (In reality I don't have one)
2A. Twilight Struggle
3. Ticket to Ride Europe
4. Red Dragon Inn (w/ RL drinking game)
5. A Game of Thrones (1st edition, no expansions)
6. A Game of Thrones (2nd edition or 1st edition w/ Clash of Kings Expansion)
7+. Only Game I have that plays this many is Munchkin or Fluxx...