Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
A chariot racing game where you are actually bidding for cards to help you in the races, with the money bid all going into the pot for the race (six shares - three for the winner, two for second, one for third place) across a series of races. Bidding is poker style - match or drop out (but if someone has matched you, you have to raise to stay in, otherwise the last person to bid gets it - so you have a better chance of getting things cheaper when you’re to the auctioneer’s right). Th cards are all very well but there is, frankly, a huge amount of luck in the movement which makes it a bit of a lottery. You roll a dice to determine your movement, but you add on your current “speed” - which is, in effect, your previous dice roll. So rolling a 6 after a previous 6 moves you 12 spaces AND ensures you will move at least 7 next time, whereas rolling a 1 after a 1 moves you only 2 spaces and ensures you can move a MAXIMUM of 7 next time. Since you can get round a lap in only about 16 spaces, you can see the problem. Some of the cards allow you to change your (or another player’s) dice roll or speed; others allow you to do special things with your chariot, like ram people, or stop them when they try to overtake. I set myself up with a very nice chariot in the last race but used all my cards to try and get an early lead so no-one could then catch me (I had the “Eye of Newt” modification meaning no-one could play cards to change my dice rolls down). Unfortunately Simon, who had the “ram” (reduce the “speed” of a chariot directly in front to 1) managed to just catch me and of course after that I never made up enough ground. Simon won easily, while I made myself thoroughly unpopular with Robin by attacking her with carpenter ants (losing her a complete move).

The “leading player moves first” mechanism can make it hell to try and catch up, as in general you can only seriously affect other chariots as you go past them; the “doubled” effect of every dice roll combined with the short laps makes it a very luck-oriented game. Since it’s nowhere near as amusing as (say) Kill Doctor Lucky, I’ll not be too fussed about playing this again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.