Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game for the first time (2-player), but on our second game ran into some issues. My starting hand contained 2 Myrmidon and 2 Ally cards. I also drew another 2 Myrmidon cards in the first round.

The Myrmidon Power: May randomly draw half (rounded up) of the hand of another player and place them in that players reserve. To retrieve reserve cards you lose your draw for the turn.

Using these cards and the Myrmidon power I was able to reduce my opponents hand to two cards (instead of drawing he retrieved his reserve).

At least in two-player this power seems very powerful compared to the others. I can see were there does not need to be absolute balance between the powers, but something seems very wrong here.

Am I doing something wrong?

I am usually very tolerant of game balance issues, but this one almost makes me not want to play. I have thought of several ways of toning down this power, but before making any changes I wanted to make sure I was not misinterpreting something.

Otherwise this is a very fine game.

Thank you…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is simple really ... as the other player "Kill the Myrmidon!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought too in a 3+ player game, but with two if the starting player has the right hand there will be little the other player can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To answer your question, no, you were not doing anything wrong. With only two players, a strong starting hand for the Myrmidon is absolutely devastating. For that matter, they can be just as crippling during later rounds if they're still around.

As I recall, what we did for two players was to change their power to:
May randomly draw one card from another player's hand, look at it, and place it in that player's reserve.

Basically, every card played to the Myrmidon column by its Governor acts like a Probe(1). This has the effect of reducing the opponent's hand size by one whether they pick up their reserve or draw a new card. A very unlikely draw of many Myrmidon and Ally cards, such as you had, would still be tough to beat, but it might not be quite so hopeless. The ability to look at what gets put in the opponent's reserve restores a bit of value to the power in the more likely case of a weaker Myrmidon hand.

I think this game really shines with three and is nearly as good with four. I have only played 2P games a few times, mostly to get a new player up to speed. The need to balance who you attack is completely lost with 2P. The Felowi also seem rather overpowered with 2P. They are almost impossible to kill off once they get several ships in their column. The Governor need only keep playing to that column to keep getting more Felowi cards. I think we limited the Felowi Governor to only being able to reclaim ships from the previous row to help mitigate this.

You said you already had some ideas of your own, so do let us know what you try. Mostly, though, I suggest you try it with 3 or 4 players to really see how great this game is. Then, if a certain Governor power is getting to be too much of a nuisance, it can be eliminated. Happy blasting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cataldo
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, you played correctly.

Galaxy isn't well suited for only two players, and probably needs some adjustment for such circumstances. I believe it is best with 4-5 players, though passable with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Londini
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An improbable occurrence, and a motivator to play another game - since the game you describe was undoubtedly short

I've very much enjoyed 4 games of this (so far) with 2-players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.