Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Plugged-In Tour not having International Support rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Curtis
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
I was very disappointed to read that there were no International events scheduled for the Plugged in Tour. I think FFG has done a good job thus far making international customers like myself feel a part of the Netrunner community with having the event kits and Regional tournaments held all over the place.

However they have made a serious misstep with this tour. Isolating the tour to North America is a backwards move. This should have been the series of events for those of us that wanted to take part in larger scale events between now and Worlds. A reason to take a trip to participate in a larger event and play games with lots of new players. As anyone living internationally knows, the flight costs with flying internationally into North America really prohibit most players from being able to attend any of these, and if they have the funds it would be a choice between this event and World's; would choose to save their money for Worlds.

Having the major tournament like World's in the U.S. is completely reasonable. However there's no reason that these event kits couldn't have made their way overseas. If the sole reason is that FFG Personnel are going to attend the tournament to demo the product and interact with the players, surely something could have been worked out for international stores to allow for some type of middle ground. Maybe a Skype session with the designers or recording direct customer feedback and sending that in directly to the design team.

Obviously the prize support is not a large issue because they were willing to ship out the regionals trophies to other countries and that seemed to work out fine.

I have written the Customer Service on the FFG webpage voicing my displeasure with this Tour as an international customer and if you are the same, or if you agree that they should support their international fans better, please do the same.

Good luck to everyone who gets to play in the tour, and happy running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Norman
msg tools
Not only internationally but there is much of North America not anywhere near a location in the tour. No locations in the entire American South and only one place in Canada. Very disappointed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Toronto, pffff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mbmbmbmbmb
mjnorman90 wrote:
Not only internationally but there is much of North America not anywhere near a location in the tour. No locations in the entire American South and only one place in Canada. Very disappointed

I'm pretty upset about them skipping the entire Southeastern US - maybe they'll learn from this one and the next "tour" might have a little more coverage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mjnorman90 wrote:

They are likely just hitting the stores with the highest Regional turn outs.

I am just more of seeing the USA only thing as they likely don't want to spend the money to fly around the world for 2 months and likely don't have the same connections. Even than if they did it world wide people will complain they went to X place in France but not Y place in Brazil.

If the just did prizes world wide than they'd need to more or less make it a game night 3 kit for places as it'd cost them a bunch to make the prizes on that scale.

ALSO unless they have people there to make the count there is no way to keep the vote honest.

So there are a bunch of reasons to do it the way they are. ya it sucks for some and is great for others. But life is not fair, some people just happen to live in large population centers in the USA that have a bunch of support for Netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Considering FFG has had many events that're only in Minnesota, the fact that they're branching out at all with something like this is cool. Living in the Southern US, I probably won't be able to make it out to any of the Plugged-In events, but I'm still excited they exist.

I hope your letter of complaint didn't sound too complain-y. I'd hate for them to get the impression that the Netrunner community is ungrateful of stuff like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Galaviz
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to see Texas has 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm naive, but thinking a card game has enough support to do international tours when its not named MtG seems like asking a lot to me. Sure it could be better I suppose, but speaking as someone unable to make it I still think its good its happening at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Curtis
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
LordNat wrote:
mjnorman90 wrote:

If the just did prizes world wide than they'd need to more or less make it a game night 3 kit for places as it'd cost them a bunch to make the prizes on that scale.

ALSO unless they have people there to make the count there is no way to keep the vote honest.

The Regionals kit was like $100+ USD, and they printed a fucking glass trophy that couldn't have been particularly cheap to make in comparison to a custom shoulder bag.

If they trusted that people would be honest about the Regionals kit, why wouldn't they trust people to be honest about a vote.

The only argument I buy is that they wanted to directly interact with the fans in which case they should have just have cast a wider net of locations and then specifically said "Here's the store's we're attending."

I'm not begrudging them for not wanting to fly overseas or travel to every state. I'm mad that they are doing nothing for people in areas that are trying to get the game more popular and seemingly only going to places that have an already large fanbase.

With their whole Print on Demand deal there's NO reason why they couldn't have events all over that TOs could order a kit for and schedule a big event for; just like Regionals but on a slightly smaller scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Galaviz
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of stores just order Regional Kits and sell them out on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PaybackJack wrote:
LordNat wrote:
mjnorman90 wrote:

The Regionals kit was like $100+ USD, and they printed a fucking glass trophy that couldn't have been particularly cheap to make in comparison to a custom shoulder bag.

If they trusted that people would be honest about the Regionals kit, why wouldn't they trust people to be honest about a vote.

The only argument I buy is that they wanted to directly interact with the fans in which case they should have just have cast a wider net of locations and then specifically said "Here's the store's we're attending."

I'm not begrudging them for not wanting to fly overseas or travel to every state. I'm mad that they are doing nothing for people in areas that are trying to get the game more popular and seemingly only going to places that have an already large fanbase.

With their whole Print on Demand deal there's NO reason why they couldn't have events all over that TOs could order a kit for and schedule a big event for; just like Regionals but on a slightly smaller scale.

I was more meaning they they likely did not have a production run to the scale of the Regional run and if they did it'd have cost more.
Also if you even read just around BBG there was a BUNCH of complaints about TOs running bad events for the regional.

Mostly I think it comes down to how much they want to spend on Netrunner and it's event too. Netrunner is just 1 of 6 LCGs that is just one line of what FFG does. It is not like WotC where MTG is their thing and it is almost all they do. You can't expect FFG to have global support for all their events, they are just too small and have too many things going on.
The fact they are even going outside of their Event Center or a major Con for this is a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LordNat wrote:
mjnorman90 wrote:

They are likely just hitting the stores with the highest Regional turn outs.

Unfortunately, that isn't true. Several stores on the list didn't run Regional Tournaments. Not trying to pick a fight - just pointing out that location doesn't seem to have any correlation to Regionals stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Curtis
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
There are plenty of International Regionals that went off perfectly. The ones that got turned around on Ebay or the TO didn't run the event correctly can be filtered out.

Again, it doesn't have to be cost prohibitive because you could have stores prepay for the print on demand product.

You don't even need to go full on with the prizes, just have the TO print out a form that they sign and mail back in that allows the winner a vote. It's still an official excuse for holding a major tournament that has a big reward.

I'm not asking for them to bankrupt themselves in order to provide support for international customers. I'm asking that they at least try and provide some way for people outside the areas that already see a lot of play to get in on the action.

AEG for example sanctions a number of tournaments that only have story rewards as their major prize. The rest of the prizes at the event are product provided by the game store. There's no reason this couldn't be the same here. Provide an online document that TOs can fill out and have requirements that the TO provide pictures and such to document that the tournament occurred if you're worried about people abusing the system.

I don't expect them to break their back but I would like them to at least lift a finger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narziss
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is just gaining its big momentum, so I think we have to appreciate the fact that this tour is even happening at all.

Even music bands that are huge don't tour everywhere....

And if you read the description, it looks like the tour will be personally attended by FFG staff including ANR designers, so it isn't something they could provide for every location
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
The level of entitlement here is just staggering.

This is a company that provides new monthly products for your game, as well as multiple regional and game night kits a year on demand, and somehow they're not doing enough for you?

This tour isn't a more restrictive regionals, it's a more expansive nationals/worlds. In either of the latter FFG were physically present, they got to officiate and interact with their playerbase directly, and the stakes were raised due to the rarity of the event. Attendees had the chance for neat unique prizes, but because of the nature of the event I've never heard of those left out complaining. This is just like that, only FFG is trying to be more inclusive by coming to their players and getting to meet some people who would never make it out to Minneapolis or Indy. They won't get to go everywhere, but the upside is that the rarity of each event will help to drum up interest and draw players.

They're not coming within 1000 clicks of me, and I'm fine with that. Sometimes interesting things happen elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually the one game I wish they didn't make promotional things for because I kinda get sad looking at pictures of things FFG doesn't want me to have a chance at getting.

Anyone interested in a full art private security force? No chance in heck ill ever get a play set of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Curtis
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
EndTheRun wrote:
(1)The game is just gaining its big momentum, so I think we have to appreciate the fact that this tour is even happening at all.

(2)Even music bands that are huge don't tour everywhere....

(3)And if you read the description, it looks like the tour will be personally attended by FFG staff including ANR designers, so it isn't something they could provide for every location

1 - No, we don't have to appreciate that they're trying to market their product. That's their job and how they stay in business. They are a business, if they provide a shitty product and don't market it well then it suffers. I can't stand this mentality of "we should be happy with whatever they decide to give us". If someone gives you a big pile of crap you can't go "Well at least they gave you something!". That's outrageous. They're providing a service that is subpar for a lot of their consumers; just providing the service is not enough. Would I rather they didn't provide the service? Of course not, but that's their job to provide this service and as a consumer it's my job to tell them when it's being provided in a manner that doesn't meet my needs.

2 - Bands and even entertainers are not the same thing as a card game. There are numerous ways in which their different but the main difference here is that the draw of going to the event is to take part in the event itself and with a card game that's only contingent on the game being played, not seeing a live performer. Meaning that you can take away the FFG staff that will attend and you'd still get 99% of the attendance.

3 - You apparently haven't read very closely because I noted that it would be fine if FFG representatives couldn't travel overseas. It's not like a lot of people would be making the trip to see them anyway. People who want to attend will be there to play Netrunner and compete; and there's no good reason why that should be limited to certain dates at specific locations.

You don't need to compare the game to Magic and say "oh its not as big, you can't expect as much" either because they've already shown that they're willing to support international stores. They just failed to do so in this instance and that's where my problem lies. Apparently even the coverage of where they're going in the U.S. is leaving some gaping holes so there's people upset there too. I could understand that logistically you could send your people to multiple stores in CA but why hold FOUR tournaments there over TWO days. That's just dumb. One of those event kits could have been sent to the south so people in Alabama, Georgia, Florida could have some place to go that was closer than Washington or Texas.

I hope they can see the error in how they planned this out, get event kits out to more places and the current list of stores are simply the lucky recipients of FFG representatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corvus_ wrote:

This is a company that provides new monthly products for your game, as well as multiple regional and game night kits a year on demand, and somehow they're not doing enough for you?

This tour isn't a more restrictive regionals, it's a more expansive nationals/worlds. In either of the latter FFG were physically present, they got to officiate and interact with their playerbase directly, and the stakes were raised due to the rarity of the event. Attendees had the chance for neat unique prizes, but because of the nature of the event I've never heard of those left out complaining. This is just like that, only FFG is trying to be more inclusive by coming to their players and getting to meet some people who would never make it out to Minneapolis or Indy. They won't get to go everywhere, but the upside is that the rarity of each event will help to drum up interest and draw players.

They're not coming within 1000 clicks of me, and I'm fine with that. Sometimes interesting things happen elsewhere.

To be fair it's not just about this one tournament. There is literally no options anywhere within hundreds of miles around to get even the game night kits here, and in tons of other places too. Every cool thing and promotional item is just a big ole middle finger from FFG to the non privileged fans. Meanwhile Magic the gathering just won't leave me the heck alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Galaviz
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a road trip, book a flight, charter a boat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrChurch13 wrote:
Corvus_ wrote:

To be fair it's not just about this one tournament. There is literally no options anywhere within hundreds of miles around to get even the game night kits here, and in tons of other places too. Every cool thing and promotional item is just a big ole middle finger from FFG to the non privileged fans. Meanwhile Magic the gathering just won't leave me the heck alone.

Promo items are a "middle finger" to fans? Wow, now I have heard everything. I'm sorry you aren't close enough to a store that will host a game night. That doesn't mean that the existence of such kits is a "middle finger" to you. Keep working to build Netrunner in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We live in South Africa, all of you can just stfu

If they had all the clones they could spare and all the cash they could spend I'm sure they'll gladly give everyone what they want, it's a business of passion, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm from down under and I'm used to missing out - all sorts of events/tours go US and Europe only.

I do find it weird though that they didn't add a 'plugged in' pack that international stores could order with say, the custom gabe art for top 8 plus the winner gets to cast a vote for which identity (with photo evidence ).

It seriously could not be hard for FFG to organize this since it is print on demand prizes, and they already have an international network of distribution and stores from game night kits.

In summary, I totally recognize FFG can do what they please here, but it seems like it would have been good business for them to throw us a bone here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
MrChurch13 wrote:
Corvus_ wrote:

Promo items are a "middle finger" to fans? Wow, now I have heard everything. I'm sorry you aren't close enough to a store that will host a game night. That doesn't mean that the existence of such kits is a "middle finger" to you. Keep working to build Netrunner in your area.

Yup when you create "promotional" items for your game and then proceed to only make that item available to a very select few people who are lucky enough to live in major cities where the game is already booming. Seems to me like you could care less if anyone outside those select areas ever touch your product. Especially when you have an online store and you already hand the things out as door prizes for just showing up at events. Keep the major stuff like tote bags, trophies, acrylic Stuff, and playmats for your giant event prizes. Is it really too much to ask that us lowly poor southeasterners and the entire international audience (Toronto excluded) gets a shot at non eBay priced really cool alternate art cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Promo items are available on eBay. They're not unobtainable. If you want it that bad, just cough up some money.

It's totally understandable that a card game tournament can't go on a worldwide tour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
Promo items are available on eBay. They're not unobtainable. If you want it that bad, just cough up some money.

It's totally understandable that a card game tournament can't go on a worldwide tour.

Yep, it's my favorite game made by my currently least favorite company (Seriously, right now they trail behind Games Workshop). You're absolutely right that I should be punished for not being in their chosen cities or living near any FLGS by having to pay 60+ for some promos posted by people who entered the event GOT ONE FOR FREE and immediately dropped just to gouge the consumers FFG could care less about. When making them available at a reasonable Print On Demand product price would be cool and make FFG some extra cash.

Hear that, FFG, I'm willing to give you money for free stuff and not some dude exploiting your hospitality for ginormous gains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.