Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This review is not meant to be a summary of the rules or even the finer points of play, it is a statement reflecting my, and my groups opinions of the game.

Castle is a quick, light though intelligent card placement game by Serge Laget and Bruno Faidutti. This clever little game plays well with between two and five players, requires only a moderate amount of space, is quick to learn and fun to play.

Faidutti (Citadels, Fist of Dragonstones and many more) and Laget (Mare Nostrum, Shadows over Camelot and many more) designed this game together and it was released as a part of a set called ‘Blue Games’ – all designed to be simple to learn and fun to play.

In Castle players are competing to be the first to have no cards, the catch is that every card played will have some form of effect on the cards around it, usually sending one or more back to the people who own them. As usual for Faidutti, the game sings with theme, the game is about the occupants of a Fantasy castle jostling for position in the courtyard, on the walls and outside the walls. To this effect the game comes with 56 character cards, four castle walls and a bunch of coloured tokens used to indicate ownership.

What makes the game so much fun, and so tantalising, is that every turn you are struck by the desire to play cards (get rid of them) and hold on to cards to play later (each card has an effect on certain types of other cards). This game can be tense, fast paced, intelligent, tactical and challenging, and it benefits from a very simple game system and a well integrated theme.

Some people have complained about the randomness found in many of Faidutti’s games, and how it can prevent the sort of long term planning required in other games, but what many people don’t realise is that these games, Castle included, are not based around strategic planning, but rather swiftness of thought. You will not be witnessing grand plans reach fruition in this game, but you will be having to make the most of what you have given the situation at the time – often this ‘on your feet’ thinking can be extremely rewarding, and it is certainly fun.

Castle is arguably one of the best short card games I've played. If you are looking for a fun filled game for between two and five people that plays in around half an hour, has a great theme and is always a laugh look no further than Castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Woods
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just discovered this game, and your review makes me want it so bad! I hope I can get my hands on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.