Bermuda Triangle» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A dangerous trip into the Bermuda Triangle. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have had this game for a while and am kind of a sucker for games that have cool moving parts.

In Bermuda Triangle you control four boats that you roll and move from port to port collecting various trade goods. The object of the game is to collect $350,000. Wok so this sounds perty boring right, sounds just like games like Monopoly, Sorry, or Life where you just roll and move around the board and do stuff. There is a catch to all this, there is this large mysterious cloud that moves around on the board and whose location is determined by a directional spinner. I know still boring, whats a cloud going to do, Niagara has a cloud but at least it does stuff. So what if I say that the cloud has magnets under it? I know so what the cloud has magnets, big whoop. What if I say each of your ships have magnets in them? Ahh now you are putting it together, so when the cloud passes over your ships they get sucked up by the cloud, we in our game group refer to this as the “Mysterious Cloud Suck Action”. I know what your saying now, I will just get my ships back and start over like all these games; this is where your wrong, once sucked up your ships are no more, they cease to be, they have thus been killed by the “Mysterious Cloud Suck Action”. The other funny thing that occasionally happens is the cloud sometimes, though very rarely, will only just nudge your ship where you have to put in the closest open ship spot to where it was mysteriously relocated to. You can also land on your opponents ships sending them back to the port they came from. You get a special bonus card that adds to your dollar total for getting back to home port, which doesn't happen a lot. Most games generally tend to end when you only have one player left with boats on the board.

The game components are top notch. The mysterious cloud looks very cool. The board depicts a nice looking nautical chart. You also get four of each red, blue, yellow, and green ships that are molded plastic with a small magnet in the middle of them. I have to say that the magnets are still going strong, considering the age of the game thats perty good.

For a cheesy roll and move game this one is a lot of fun. I also think the cloud gimmick is well executed, something that didn't always happen with these gimmicky games from the 70's and 80's. I place my Bermuda Triangle game amongst my snobby euro games quite proudly. This a light beer and pretzels game with good replayability. This game has hit the table many oh game nights sandwiched in between sessions of Power Grid and Caylus. If you have a fun game group that likes to laugh or if your feeling the need for some good gimmicky nostalgia I would suggest getting a copy of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you recommend your own thread, eh? Well, I would hope so! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.