Rob Mortimer
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitchcar Mini

Preamble.
I bought Pitchcar Mini for a stag weekend, thinking it would be great light entertainment. Unfortunately, everyone else there was an extreme sports fanatic without a single gaming bone in their body. Subsequently I’ve played it with a variety of family and friends. It is a great game to play with kids, and it remains the only game in my collection where a 4 year old has beaten adult players!

Components.
The game comes in a small but heavy box. The track sections fit together like a jigsaw, and are black. There are 6 straights and 10 curves and each has a groove along one edge into which you fit a red plastic crash barrier. There are 8 wooden disks in a variety of nice colours to represent the cars. There are also stickers to represent the start and cars that are stuck to a straight track section and the wooden disks respectively. Overall, the components are excellent. The crash barriers are easily removed for packing away, but always stay in place during games. My only gripe is that the stickers have begun to show wear and tear quite quickly, though it doesn’t detract from the game.

Gameplay.
Gameplay is VERY simple. This game is ultra-light. Players simply pitch cars along the track by flicking with their fingers. If a car leaves the track, it is returned to where it started that particular pitch. Initially each player does a qualifying lap on their own to see how many pitches it takes them to complete a lap. This determines the grid order for the main race, with the player taking the smallest number of pitches to do a lap gaining pole position. Players then race over 3 laps, taking it in turn to pitch their cars. If a car goes off the track or flips over, it is returned to the place it started the turn. If a player knocks another car off the track, both are returned to the place they started the turn. The winner is the car crossing the line first. Points are awarded according to finishing position and you can race several times and add these up to find the overall winner. Alternative rules are included for 2 player pursuit and a trash variation where cars can both turn over and knock opponents off the track.

So what do I think?
This is a great little game. VERY light, very quick (less than 30 mins), and great fun! I’ve played it with my three young kids and they love it. My 4-year-old son is especially fond of it, and he has beaten some experienced adult gamers (you should see the looks on their faces!). Also works well as a ‘beer and crisps’ game for adults. Leave your brain at home, because you really won’t need it, but make sure you play on table because playing on anything less than flat (e.g. the carpet) will create “adverse camber”, with cars bouncing off the joints between the track pieces. Overall I give it a very solid 6, and I'm always happy to play it. I need something a little heavier to rate a game higher, but I'm sure if I asked my kids to rate it, they'd give it a 9 or 10!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if you were to spray some clear shelack over that section with the sticker if it would protect it without slowing that section down..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to spray both the discs, which have car stickers, and the track, which has the start finish line.

And, critically, you'd have to do so before playing the game, since wear and tear is visible from nearly the first play.

However, the stickers are entirely decorative (with the exception of determining the start/finish line), and the wear and tear has no effect on game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.