Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're left with too many, Sebastian. Sure you did it right?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
You're left with too many, Sebastian. Sure you did it right?

-MMM

Thanks. I'm just going to stick to doing these in the mornings from now on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I am left with brainy... but it doesn't work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:

DOH, I guess I was using the wrong language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
diehard4life wrote:

As the puzzle states...Don't overthink....Knowledge leads to the wrong salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinhorn wrote:
Really? Can't we finally get past puzzles that

use undirected anagrams. ESPECIALLY when there is more than one possibility!

I sure hope so. Cryptic instructions that actually tell you how to solve the puzzle once you figure them out are what make a puzzle interesting.

What's so fun about puzzles that require brute forcing different solution methods until randomly stumbling on the correct one?

Especially when there are false instructions (this wasn't a visual puzzle at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Cat
msg tools
mbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
Tinhorn wrote:
Really? Can't we finally get past puzzles that

use undirected anagrams. ESPECIALLY when there is more than one possibility!

I sure hope so. Cryptic instructions that actually tell you how to solve the puzzle once you figure them out are what make a puzzle interesting.

What's so fun about puzzles that require brute forcing different solution methods until randomly stumbling on the correct one?

Especially when there are false instructions (this wasn't a visual puzzle at all).

This puzzle did not require brute forcing different solution methods, if the solver had the "aha!" moment early. There was an abundance of clues in the puzzle, which is why many members were able to solve it so fast. Like many Tanga puzzles, there are hidden messages in the text. Thus the words should not all be taken literally. Maybe, some solvers found a clue in the inaccurate reference to "Visual Puzzle" especially when "Zest" and "X-rated" were used in the same sentence.

The last 2 sentences were clues to which was the correct anagram, and which was not. So, I wouldn't really call that an "undirected" anagram.

I just want to give my compliments to the puzzle creator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shukan
United States
San Marino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The last 2 sentences were clues to which was the correct anagram, and which was not. So, I wouldn't really call that an "undirected" anagram.

An undirected anagram is one where you get a bunch of letters and you need to determine an ordering. The anagram was undirected, even though arguably the last line hinted away from a particular anagram. Indeed, there were other possible anagrams as well, since anagrams are not limited to single words, and often the result of taking a letter index is a phrase that leads to the solution. The last line did not hint away from such other phrases. (If the next point is that the anagram could be guessed from the context of the puzzle -- well, the solution could be guessed from the context of the puzzle even without doing any solving.) And since letters in the puzzle were used more than once, how were we to know (as opposed to take an educated guess) that *we* could not use letters more than once? Moreover, to me, at least, the last line led to the *wrong* choice initially. Of the two one-word possibilities (excluding a surname that gets 97,000 hits on Google), one is a noun and one is a noun or an adjective. The fact that "knowledge" is a noun led me to try the wrong one first -- it seemed as though "computer knowledge" had been flagged as *incorrect*. Sure, it's not a big issue when you are allowed to try multiple answers to find out which is correct, as in the Tanga format, but something feels a bit lacking if the puzzle does not have a unique, "this has to be it," answer that you are sure of before typing it in.

The fact that some solvers solved quickly does not address the undirected anagram issue -- if a puzzle dropped out the letters SSSIIMIPISP in that order, it's easy to see they transpose to MISSISSIPPI, but to some of us (I readily concede not to all of us), a puzzle that gives you a bunch of letters and requires an anagram at the end "for no reason" just doesn't feel as satisfying. That doesn't make it a bad puzzle, but to some people (myself included) it lacks a certain elegance. (I also resisted for about 5 minutes doing what was supposed to be done, because I saw that it would give a bunch of letters but no mechanism for ordering them, and I thought -- "Nah, the puzzle-maker wouldn't do something like THAT.")

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Cat
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow! Now, I know the technical definition of "undirected anagram." I didn't know there was one. I should have googled it first, hehe. Obviously, my mileage is a lot less than yours. Thanks, Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyncat wrote:
This puzzle did not require brute forcing different solution methods, if the solver had the "aha!" moment early.

Guessing which number you're thinking of doesn't require trying different guesses, if I happen to guess it right off the bat.

cyncat wrote:
There was an abundance of clues in the puzzle, which is why many members were able to solve it so fast. Like many Tanga puzzles, there are hidden messages in the text.

What clues (as to the solution method) were in the puzzle, aside from the one that hinted which of the two answers in the final step to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol McKevitt
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Why can't I see anything when I mouseover?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
theothercarol wrote:
Why can't I see anything when I mouseover?

Hmmm...
What browser are you using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zoghby
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you can't see when you simply mouseover, then you may have to click and drag across the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyn Cat
msg tools
mbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
cyncat wrote:
This puzzle did not require brute forcing different solution methods, if the solver had the "aha!" moment early.

Guessing which number you're thinking of doesn't require trying different guesses, if I happen to guess it right off the bat.

cyncat wrote:
There was an abundance of clues in the puzzle, which is why many members were able to solve it so fast. Like many Tanga puzzles, there are hidden messages in the text.

What clues (as to the solution method) were in the puzzle, aside from the one that hinted which of the two answers in the final step to use?

It is true that in this case, from start to finish, there were always guesses involved when determining which next step to take.
For example, after noticing that all the words started with capital letters, and that almost all the capital letters were represented in the text, and after being reminded of "The quick brown fox ..." by the word "Quick" (accidental clue?), I had to guess that the solution is in the letters of the alphabet, used exactly once. After that, I had to guess that the best path to take is to look at the 6 missing letters, rather than the 20 that were present. When it was time to anagram, I used the word "two" to make my "best" guess.

If the puzzle had been different, such that the 20 letters actually spelled out instructions for what exactly to do next, (so that answer is hence determined without any guesses), that might have been more fun for other solvers.

I think for most of these puzzles, there is some guessing involved, whether it stops after the first step (figuring out the cryptic message that tells us what to do next) or it stays till the end. If the method were clear from the start, then it would be more like question in a midterm exam, and less like a riddle.

Aaron, to answer your question, there was no clue that specifically pointed at the solution method. Not one. Whatever clues we all got from the image and the text, were just abstract hints which, when mixed with some Tanga skills and luck, led us to the answer.

Like I wrote in my message to Dave above, I'm relatively new here. "Brute force" must have a technical definition, but I'm too lazy to google it now. I'll take your word for it.

Sorry if I had ruffled feathers. I didn't mean to. I just wanted to express my approval of last night's puzzle. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
..February 8th, 2007...
zz
pleu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought is

Directions - Up, Down, Left, Right
But I can't seem to find where to start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chiriatti
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, I tried a number of up/down/left/right methods to no avail.

notice there are two 4s and two 6s - I don't know if it means anything... yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annie B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
But why are the ups and down on the first two lines, and the rights and lefts on the last two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
I represent no danger.
mb
Background significance thoughts:

Clearly that's a wrap in the picture and the background is a spiral. Rotating or wrapping seems to be significant... but how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rice
msg tools
This brings back memories of the "traded" puzzle but there's no grey square this time lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am getting
CLEO

for the first line
but then my algorithm seems to fall apart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm moving the numbered columns up and down, then the numbered rows right and left. It's mostly a jumble, but I'm seeing the words "THE" and "SIXTH" spelled out. I hope I'm on the right track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The type of sandwich is an important clue. U, D, L, and R meant what you think they mean. Notice there is no marked starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
I'm moving the numbered columns up and down, then the numbered rows right and left. It's mostly a jumble, but I'm seeing the words "THE" and "SIXTH" spelled out. I hope I'm on the right track.

You are on the right track!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vae victus

west chicago
Illinois
msg tools
Use the U/D/L/R directions in the order they are given.

Mega-hypertension crystal:
It's like a Rubik's cube--the directions tell you which row/column to move and how many times. This will give you a massage, er, a message....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  169 , 170 , 171 , 172 , 173  Next »  [466] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.