BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Master Tanga Puzzle Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tanga [+] tangapuzzle [+] puzzle [+] news [+] [View All]
Brandy Grote
United States
California
flag msg tools
The last few times I came here for salt, there really wasn't any, despite many requests. THere were some posts that I took as people who HAD solved that day's puzzle, but weren't going to offer any assistance. Seems almost teasing in retrospect, but my 20/20 isn't good coming or going any more....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S B
United States
SoCal
California
flag msg tools
mb
pbleadfoot wrote:
Did I miss something?

It used to be that there was a lot of activity here at BGG as people helped each other solving the puzzles.

It seems there has been a mass exodus.

?

If you look at the end of page 417 / beginning of 418, that's when Faith and I pretty much stopped posting here. PB, you know that Faith and I have done everything we could to help when we could. We just couldn't handle the rudeness. That, and I agree that the puzzles haven't been anything that the 2 of us haven't been able to figure out together. We got tired of attitude and created our own LiveJournal. I still check here every night for a limited time, but no one seems to be here.

OH! And it seems that anyone that wants salt is actually getting it from the Tanga puzzle posts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
NOV 3rd 2007

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
NOV 4th 2007

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qwerty Uiop
United States
California
flag msg tools
Help on the hard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pooh Poopie

North Carolina
msg tools
qwertyca wrote:
Help on the hard?

I could use some help today too. This puzzle has way too much going on, I don't know where to start.

As for the "controversy" going on right now, I'm not as diehard as a lot of people on the puzzles, but I check them every day at work and try to do a quick solve. My office blocks livejournal, so bgg is the only place I can go for salt! I've tried to help others when I can solve it, though I think most people have already done their puzzling by the time I get around to it. Anyway, I think it would be a shame for this thread to die out, it does help a lot of people. I understand that it's hard when you offer help and get hell for it, but also realize there are plenty of people who check the forum for help and don't post afterward to avoid adding a dozen "thanks!" messages clogging up the board. I usually only post when I have a real contribution to the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lipkin
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
popoopie wrote:
qwertyca wrote:
Help on the hard?

I could use some help today too. This puzzle has way too much going on, I don't know where to start.

As for the "controversy" going on right now, I'm not as diehard as a lot of people on the puzzles, but I check them every day at work and try to do a quick solve. My office blocks livejournal, so bgg is the only place I can go for salt! I've tried to help others when I can solve it, though I think most people have already done their puzzling by the time I get around to it. Anyway, I think it would be a shame for this thread to die out, it does help a lot of people. I understand that it's hard when you offer help and get hell for it, but also realize there are plenty of people who check the forum for help and don't post afterward to avoid adding a dozen "thanks!" messages clogging up the board. I usually only post when I have a real contribution to the thread.

Embarrassingly, I never got the hard by deduction, but by recognizing an unfinished and common phrase in the text. Backtracking, though, I can tell you that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
anagramming the letters on the plates with an additional "T" and "I"
will give you the word. Not sure if there's a pointer to that elsewhere, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the Hard Puzzle:

If you look at the numbers on the license plates, do you notice anything about how many there are and what they are?

On this one, it may help narrow things down to know that there is absolutely nothing needed that is not shown in the puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pooh Poopie

North Carolina
msg tools
Thanks Guys, I've solved now. Just needed a tiny push! I'm familiar with the phrase, but just couldn't pull that word up from the depths of my brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
November 5th 2007
(Happy Guy Fawkes Day!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Well,
I hope this BGG thread doesn't whither and die on the vine - it's been going on for over a year now. Lately, I haven't been able to participate after the puzzles start in the evenings since I started a new job with a killer commute and an early morning start(my night owl ways must change!).

Anyway, for people coming here for help, I always find it easier to help when the request for salt is a little more specific, rather than "any help on the hard", perhaps (in a spoiler) "this is what I'm thinking, or what I've tried, any suggestions or pointers?"

Well, it seems that we have a good thing going here - Now, if we can just respect each other and play nice!

Tanga on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rankin
United States
Frazier Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I get some help on the hard one, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pb
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
crankin666 wrote:
Can I get some help on the hard one, please?

salty 1
there are 7 six letter words made out of the letters shown

salty 2
mix and match letter pairs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evensen
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pbleadfoot wrote:
Well,
I hope this BGG thread doesn't whither and die on the vine - it's been going on for over a year now. Lately, I haven't been able to participate after the puzzles start in the evenings since I started a new job with a killer commute and an early morning start(my night owl ways must change!).

I hope so too! Although it will force me to try harder on the puzzles myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
November 6, 2007

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ireton
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Human Torch's friend? And, I only need two letters.

EDIT: Figured out the image is misclued from the salt at Tanga. I've still got something wrong though. Maybe it's not Zorak? I don't know. I hate these when I can't identify them and there's no help in the image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, the hard puzzle is frustrating me...

Too long to hide, suffice to say...

SPOILERS AHEAD

Inventor of the Improved Steam Engine has got to be Watt. Especially since Female sheep is ewe, which seems to start out nicely "What you..."

One quarter of "fail to remember"..? Literally, that's 14 letters that can't be quartered evenly. "Forget" is 6, same problem. I feel like the sentence is heading towards 'What you get..." especially since the next clue "Did go" without "tea" seems to mean went - t = wen = when.

What you get when... sounds right, but it's kinda sketchy. What you fail..? What you [something else]..? Is "when" even right? It kinda shouldn't be because that clue for it is just mixed and weird, so maybe I'm totally wrong here.

Blackjack, in the alphabet... BJ? IJK? Aaahhh.... light bulb. 21 in the alphabet... U

Okay.

Ad is next, followed by "it" - what you are trying to avoid in tag.

Binary 10 can be thought of two ways, but only assuming "10" is written in binary and thus is "2" makes sense.

And neither black nor white is grey, Roman 5 is "V" = gravy, I assume.

So... What you get (?) when you add it to gravy?

Doh.

[the penny drops]

Man.... Just had to type it out to see it. What a dope blush

Though I still don't understand the 1/4 clue. And the "did go" one is pretty futzy.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave.

It was the Roman numeral 5 that stumped me.

Very clever puzzle that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ireton
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Though I still don't understand the 1/4 clue.

4got/4 = got

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
iagomonk wrote:
Quote:
Though I still don't understand the 1/4 clue.

4got/4 = got

Get, not got.

Thanks... now I got.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iagomonk wrote:
Human Torch's friend? And, I only need two letters.

EDIT: Figured out the image is misclued from the salt at Tanga. I've still got something wrong though. Maybe it's not Zorak? I don't know. I hate these when I can't identify them and there's no help in the image.

No, that is not a picture of Space Ghost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ireton
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Cindy! It wasn't so bad after I got all the complaining out of my system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spamwise Gamgee
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, my corporate firewall is giving me trouble. For whatever reason, I can see files on:
http://asset1.tanga.com/uploaded_files/... and
http://asset3.tanga.com/uploaded_files/...
but can not view files on:
http://asset0.tanga.com/uploaded_files/... or
http://asset2.tanga.com/uploaded_files/...

Hmm, that's odd.

Anyway, that makes the Hypercross even more challenging than it already is. I didn't immediately identify the images last night and had to go to bed. I'm now at work and am attempting to solve from what I can see, what I can recall, and the context clues provided in the forum.

So, here's what remains in question. I've provided image links, if someone could just copy the images in question into a GeekMail.

http://asset0.tanga.com/uploaded_files/0006/2983/down8_cross...
row 09 col 07 down answer: ..O...O.* (the * is the same as below)

http://asset0.tanga.com/uploaded_files/0006/3088/across14_cr...
row 17 col 04 across answer: ...*. (the * is the same as above)

row 17 col 10 across answer: T..O
I can view this image, and I believe it to be the Human Torch, but, from my intersecting ansers, I think it needs to be T..O, and I'm not finding any of his pals matching that mask. I did think THOR, but R interfers with the farthest to the right going down (an image I can't view, but I believe it to be the character played by Bruce Lee.)
If THOR is correct, can someone please tell me what image goes in the ...R spot?

Edit: tried to fix spoiler section. Still viewable. Sorry if it's too salty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spamwise wrote:
Ok, my corporate firewall is giving me trouble. For whatever reason, I can see files on:
http://asset1.tanga.com/uploaded_files/... and
http://asset3.tanga.com/uploaded_files/...
but can not view files on:
http://asset0.tanga.com/uploaded_files/... or
http://asset2.tanga.com/uploaded_files/...

Hmm, that's odd.

Anyway, that makes the Hypercross even more challenging than it already is. I didn't immediately identify the images last night and had to go to bed. I'm now at work and am attempting to solve from what I can see, what I can recall, and the context clues provided in the forum.

So, here's what remains in question. I've provided image links, if someone could just copy the images in question into a GeekMail.

http://asset0.tanga.com/uploaded_files/0006/2983/down8_cross...
row 09 col 07 down answer: ..O...O.* (the * is the same as below)

http://asset0.tanga.com/uploaded_files/0006/3088/across14_cr...
row 17 col 04 across answer: ...*. (the * is the same as above)

row 17 col 10 across answer: T..O
I can view this image, and I believe it to be the Human Torch, but, from my intersecting ansers, I think it needs to be T..O, and I'm not finding any of his pals matching that mask. I did think THOR, but R interfers with the farthest to the right going down (an image I can't view, but I believe it to be the character played by Bruce Lee.)
If THOR is correct, can someone please tell me what image goes in the ...R spot?

Images are on their way....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
So who is that in the background of the hard one?

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  425 , 426 , 427 , 428 , 429  Next »  [466] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.