Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Clemson 40 Oklahoma 6
mbmbmbmbmb
The description of Diamant on BGG tells you how to play the game, so I will not touch on the mechanics, except to say that this is a basic "press your luck" game that I have found to be excellent to play with my two children, ages 5 & 3. We received this game for Christmas, 2006, and have played it almost every day since. It is my children's favorite game and one that I enjoy as well. Here are the reasons why:

Game Length: A game of Diamant can be played in about 10 to 15 minutes, so it is short enough not to tax the attention span of young children. We are usually able to get 2 games in at a sitting before my 3 year old loses interest.

Luck Factor: The game has a high enough luck factor that children have a reasonable chance of winning the game, even if the adults are trying their best. It is nice to play a game with children where you don't have to "take it easy", yet the children still are able to win. My 5 year old son has won several times and my 3 year old daughter has also won the game.

Counting:I have my daughter count out the rubies that each player has at the end of the game and I also let her count out her rubies when trading them in for a diamond, which is worth 5 rubies. I let my son count the diamonds for everyone, which has helped him learn to count by 5. He also helps me count out jewels for each player and determine the amount of jewels to be placed on the cards.

Strategy: There is not a great deal of strategy in this game, but the children have quickly learned not to leave before the first disaster card is turned over, unless there are a lot of jewels on the cards already played. The children have also learned that you can get a lot of jewels if you are able to explore on your own, although if you get too greedy you may wind up with nothing. I believe that understanding basic strategy will help them learn more complex games and be more proficient in playing as they get older.

Components:I have the version that does not include the board, but the other components are very nice. The treasure boxes are sturdy, the meeples are good sized, and the jewels are nice looking. The cards are a bit small and flimsy, but since I am the only one who shuffles and turns them over, I am not too concerned about the quality.

My children love to play it:Almost every night when I come home from work the children ask to play "the cave exploring" game after supper. Both of them say that Diamant is "a lot of fun" and "awesome". And really, that is about all a gamer who plays with young children can ask for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the child-oriented review. My kids (young and old) love this game.

I highly recommend downloading the board. It adds to the interactions in the game. The meeples back at base camp make supper for those still in the mine. They get to pick their favorite tent. After the mine is closed, the mine is boarded-up. So, it adds flavor to the game and activity while they are out of the mine waiting for the mine to close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another benefit is that the mechanics are accessible for even very young children. You put your hands under the table and either put your explorer in your fist or leave your fist empty. Then you put that fist up on the table with everyone else and you all open your fists.

There aren't any cards to hold, just one explorer in your fist---or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review -- thanks for doing it!

I use to take this game into kindergarten and it was a universal hit. Between pretty jewels and gruesome disasters, there was something for everyone -- boy or girl!

I found that having the board really helped because it explained why when you leave you have the explorer in your hand -- he's going to camp. Also, to keep the blind bidding blind, we had to institute a protocol for hand-opening. (We'd all chant, "Should I stay or should I go?" while bobbing our fists over the table and then hands simultaneously on "go").

Great game for practicing early math (that was why I brought it to school) -- not only counting by ones and fives, but strategies for division (e.g. dealing out).

I really hope the new American edition (Incan Gold) gets into toy stores. IMO, Diamant is a better game for kids than it is for adults. (Then again, I don't game with large groups of drunken adults, so who am I do judge? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Welborn wrote:
that is about all a gamer who plays with young children can ask for.

Amen laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is absolutely a great children's game. I have 28 games of this logged, and every single one has been with me 4 year old (3 when we started playing) daughter. A pretty good game for adults that is also a truly wonderful game for adults to play with children!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Clemson 40 Oklahoma 6
mbmbmbmbmb
Great points everyone. Thanks for the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Stump
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
An excellent post. I'm having such fun playing this game with my 5 yo and 8 yo, who seem to adore the atmosphere of the dangers (which appeal to my 5 yo son) and the jewels (which appeals to my 8 yo daughter) and the camp (they both are very territorial when selecting their tents). And it is so funny to catch my 5 yo sneaking a peek at his big sister's clenched fist, trying to discern whether she is going to "sit it out" or "continue on further". The points made on this post about the game being a great counting aid are right on also. And the kids seem to love it when daddy gets too greedy and loses all of his collected treasures...A great game for kids (and adults too)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.