Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Niagara Boardgaming Weekend is going to be from Thursday Feb 8th to Sunday Feb 11th 2007 in Niagara Falls, Canada. If you are interested in attending, write host Mike Cardwell at mcardwel@rochester.rr.com .

The Ramada Inn will host the NBW as it did last year. Hotel rooms are $59.00 per night. When making your reservation, mention you are going to attend the NBW. There are two Ramada hotels that share a parking lot - the Ramada Coral Niagara Falls (which is where the event is) and the Ramada Suites and Conference Centre. I'm staying at the Ramada Coral, at http://www.ramadacoralniagarafalls.com/

I'm not an organizer of this, just an attendee interested in getting more BGGers to the event. I've gone the last two years, and the group was a mixed wargame/eurogame crowd. It's open gaming, so I intend to show up with a batch of eurogames (and perhaps an 18xx game) for a weekend of fun. It's primarily an open gaming con; there's very little that is organized other than a space in which to play.

If you're interested, after writing Mike, reply here so we can talk about any long games that we might want to get together ahead of time. I'd like to play a game of the new 1861.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scott. Sounds interesting.

Would you be interested in teaching that game?

I've read 1870 and we're trying it out in a few weeks.

How was the library? Or should we bring what we want to play?

Last question, interested in Die Macher possibly?

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no library; bring what you want to play.

While I've not played 1861, I'm willing to teach it; I've read the rules (and am usually the teacher of games based upon a rule reading).

Die Macher.. We'll see about my involvement. I know some of the others coming from Syracuse love it, so I'd say there's a good chance it can happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings and salutations!

I'm planning on being there.

Besides playing lots of Euros from all across the light-heavy spectrum, I'm hoping that someone will want to play a game of Hammer of the Scots (or maybe Crusader Rex or Victoria Cross if there is any interest). Any interest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got an e-mail from the organizer, Mike, with the costs for the event:

One day Two days Three days Four days
$13.00 USD. $20.00 USD $25.00 USD $30.00 USD
$15.00 CAD $23.00 CAD $29.00 CAD $35.00 CAD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't make it this year (although I would love too!), but if I could I would definetly bring the game Niagara!

PS- Keep making those great videos, Scott!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Geerkin
United States
Eden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be there Friday and Saturday. I'm staying in the Falls both nights.

I've been talking up the weekend within my group. I think we'll have a few more Buffalo people this year for Eurogames.

If you're on the fence about going, it's a good time. I had a blast playing games with Scott and some other great people last year. I'm looking forward to the weekend next month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it that we can pay the registration fee at the event, or is that a pre-reg rate that we need to pay in advance?

Any idea what the attendance will be like? Are we talking 50 gamers, or more like 200? In past years has it been primarily wargames, or is it more of a mix? I'm just trying to get an idea of what the gameday is like before I decide if I want to go. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In past years, you paid at the door.

Last year, attendance was (wild estimate) in the 50ish range. About 2/3rds were wargamers, 1/3 eurogamers.

At most points, there were two active tables of eurogames.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to go, but my passport is now out-of-date and the new rules by the too-nervous-for-words federal government make travel to Canada, even barely Canada like Niagara, illegal without a valid passport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy DrFlanagan!

As far as I understand things, a passport isn't required as of yet. If you're flying into Canada, a passport is required. If you're driving in, you won't need one until possibly next year.

Below is info I've copied and pasted from this site:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.h...

If you're still worried after reading what' below, you can check out the U.S. Department of State Consular Information Sheet for Canada found here:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

Anyhow, it'd be great to meet you if you're able to make it up.

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and Canada: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

Effective January 23, 2007, all U.S. citizens traveling by air to and from Canada are required to have a valid passport to enter the United States. As early as January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the United States and Canada by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries. American citizen travelers are encouraged to apply for a U.S. passport or the passport card when it becomes available, well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on applying for a passport.

Current Requirements for Entry Into Canada

Visas are not required for U.S. citizens entering Canada from the U.S. You will, however, need:

1. proof of your U.S. citizenship such as your U.S. passport (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with one of the regional passport agencies located throughout the U.S.) or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state in the U.S. where you were born. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver’s license, voter’s registration card or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship.
2. photo identification, such as a current, valid driver’s license.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Geerkin
United States
Eden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John beat me to it and he's correct. You do not need a passport to travel to Canada, unless you are flying in.

It's still up in the air on whether or not you will need one in 2008.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I are in.

I just emailed Mike.

We're headed up thursday. A friend of ours may be coming (probably, but hasn't confirmed yet) and he's dying for a game of Die Macher.

We're planning on wine tasting Friday afternoon, but will be around for some games the rest of the weekend.

If anyone wants me to bring anything specific, check my collection and let me know and I"ll be sure to bring it.

Scott, when are you planning on the 18xx game?

(Anyone intersted in trading, check out my trade list, we could save on shipping).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Geerkin
United States
Eden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Mellon,

Any chance you could bring Battlelore? I haven't tried it yet and I'd like to see what the hubbub is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Geerkin
United States
Eden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone that's going has a request, my collection is up to date (I think). I'll be happy to bring whatever, so feel free to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. It's a blast. I'll bring it.

Anyone that's coming have pompeii, shear panic, or perikles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Pompeii and I just picked up a copy of Shear Panic. I can bring both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Geerkin
United States
Eden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agashamirv wrote:
Absolutely. It's a blast. I'll bring it.

Anyone that's coming have pompeii, shear panic, or perikles?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Krolak
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on coming to the event as well. I don't think I'll be there until Friday some time, but I'll be back Saturday and Sunday.

If anyone wants to trade with me for any games or wants me to bring anything from my collection, just let me know.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arielmt
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from the Buffalo Boardgames Meetup group and I'm going to try to be there at least one or two of the days.

Which days will depend heavily on whether I can find someone to teach me Warrior Knights - a game I own and am dying to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Mellon,

Please forgive me. I know I said I would bring Shear Panic, but I'm backing out now and I won't be bringing it, as I no longer own the game.

To Everyone Else,

I just received Shogun (re-themed Wallenstein) in the mail today after waiting a looooong time. I had no idea what a HUGE game this is! If I bring this with me, I'm going to have to not bring some other games. So, my question is:

Is there enough interest in a game of Shogun to merit my bringing it along?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weaving Geek
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And at this event people play... Niagara?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arielmt
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trawlerman wrote:
Scott Mellon,
Please forgive me. I know I said I would bring Shear Panic, but I'm backing out now and I won't be bringing it, as I no longer own the game.

I own Shear Panic and will bring it. I should be there either Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday, all day. You're welcome to borrow or I'm happy to teach.

April

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Scott, What are the hours of operation for Thursday and Friday. I live close enough that I can drive to it for the day and I would like to get playing if I have the opportunity as soon as there are enough players wanting to.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.