United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Hello everybody!
We've gotten a lot of feedback about our moderation of the forums and geeklists. Some people have been happier with it than others.

I've decided that it would be in the spirit of the site to have a more democratic form of moderation, and today I'm introducing the new system. Every registered user will be able to give thumbs up or thumbs down to certain items in the database. We are starting with the forums, but it will be expanded to geeklists soon.

Items which get more than 5 net thumbs down (-6) will be collapsed for most people, and threads which get more than 5 net thumbs down (-6) will be removed from the front page modules.

You can set your own threshold for what you want to be hidden, but nothing is deleted (except spam and some truly offensive stuff), and you can always click on 'show' to see what is there.

www.boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?action=editthreshold

There are also plans to give items which get very well reviewed to get some special treatment - stay tuned!

This is an experiment of sorts. I expect it will work, but if things get really bad, we'll have to go back to the drawing board. We also have some new forum rules, which you can see below, as well as guidelines for moderating.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BoardGameGeek_Rules

Note: Now, when you make a new post it automatically awards you a thumbs-up from yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now we can't see who awarded thumbs up / down (as with the old "rate this article"). Is it intended or only temporariry (and will be later added)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the new system, so came along to have a read ....

This thread tells me I have already given it a thumbs up.

Now ... I may have accidentally, but I'm pretty sure I didn't

(not that I wouldn't ... you know .... just saying)

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
I hope this works, it would be nice to see the end of deletions. I'd rather be my own moderator sort a thing, If it is a tool that suits all of us for our own preferences, it would be a great addition.

I would like to see who gives things thumbs up, I can see an argument for hiding who gives the thumbs down.

Are you still working on the formatting for these threads Aldie? Right now it is harder to see a clear separation between replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I also 'thumbed up' already. Before I hit any button.

And I'm missing the 'bookmark thread' button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
This thread tells me I have already given it a thumbs up.
Now ... I may have accidentally, but I'm pretty sure I didn't

Indeed.
ALL posts say to me "You gave this a thumbs up.".
Obviously a little bug. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so tempted to hit "thumbs down" on this article.

Not because it is bad, but because of the chaos that would ensue if enough similarly evil-minded people did the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Baker
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hm, its telling me I gave a thumbs up to all the replies in this thread, so something weird does seem to be going on.

Also, I feel like the current visualization with the big bright red and green thumbs on every post is a little distracting. Ideally the graphics would be toned down a bit, in my opinion.

I do like the idea of being able to give a thumbs down in general though. A nice idea, and definately worth giving a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Im curious about the following rule in the moderation guidelines:
Quote:
If you don't like something (a game, a publisher, a whole genre, etc), don't harp on it endlessly--there are games you like, right? Talk about those.

Why are negative opinions less valid than positive ones? Isn't the real problem harping in general?

I think this system will work very well for cleaning up the pictures database. Will pictures below the thumbs threshold no longer appear in the gallery?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoaaah! That freaked me out! I think the new system dropped in just as I was writing a post?????

As Luca mentions, it seems that we automatically thumb-up our own posts????

Of course we do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Well done!

Except that it is not working for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I also gave this a thumbs up when accepting the terms. And I hope the separators for the posts come back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Looks like a glitch with the individual posts - I'm on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
cry why does all the fun stuff happen when I am about to go away on holidays? soblue

A couple of issues, which I imagine you already know about:

1. All the post borders are gone, which makes pages quite hard to read.

2. The first time I clicked on Reply, I went to a posting guidelines page, clicked on I accept or OK or something, then was returned to the thread and had to click reply again. I trust that that screen will only be shown once; it should redirect to the expected reply screen.

3. I can't see who has thumbed up the thread or the posts. I can understand why you don't show the thumbs down, but would like to be able to see who has given something a thumbs up - particularly at the 'thread' level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
And will this also be expanded to the GeekQ's? (i.e. can we soon thumb down MrCranky?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
Just thinking aloud, for those who would like to set a level for their kids, are you thinking of a system that would cookie/password protect the moderation level for a users, or even a PC, rather than a logged-in user?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
I'm guessing you're still working on tables, as they are kinda hokey right now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie,

I'm now seeing that I gave your post a thumbs down (I didn't, honest) so I can't see it....

And, as mentioned, all replies to this thread are marked as 'you gave this a thumbs down'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't there used to be some sort of separation between posts before, or am I just going crazy? It just doesn't look right.

It's almost like not putting all the pieces of your game in their respective compartments/baggies. :shudder:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:
And, as mentioned, all replies to this thread are marked as 'you gave this a thumbs down'

I meant 'thumbs up blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BGG MOD
msg tools
Post Deleted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
My last post said I gave myself a "thumbs up" when I hadn't. Then I tried to reverse it by clicking on "thumbs down" but it recorded it as a thunbs down. So I clicked on "thumbs up" and it posted as 2 thumbs up.

- We need a way to change our votes.
- It would be nice to still be able to see who gave the "+" or the "-".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't seem to be able to thumb things up or down. Sometimes it will give me a "Run script 'void(0);' " message when I mouse over them. I noticed the same thing earlier when trying to propose representative images, so maybe it's my computer. I've tried on both Safari and Firefox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
My last post said I gave myself a "thumbs up" when I hadn't. Then I tried to reverse it by clicking on "thumbs down" but it recorded it as a thunbs down. So I clicked on "thumbs up" and it posted as 2 thumbs up.

- We need a way to change our votes.
- It would be nice to still be able to see who gave the "+" or the "-".

Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [24] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.