Rüsselbande» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Piggyback Brigade with Kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the Hot Deals forum, I found this game for an excellent price and since I'm always looking for game to play with my sons, I just had to buy it. It has been a hit with my kids and with their friends when they have come over to play.

Set-Up
The game is very simple. A board is randomly created using the eight board segments that come with the game. These segments have either 2 or 3 spaces on them and they are put together to build a winding path for the pigs to travel down. The object of the game is to be the first to get your pig (or pigs) to the end of the path. On a player's turn, he or she has the option of taking one of the board segments that all players have passed and moving it to the end of the path, lengthening the game. After the board is set-up, every player selects their pig. If only two or three are playing, each player gets two pigs.

Gameplay
On a player's turn, he rolls a special die numbering 1-4 and moves his pig based on the number he rolled. If a one is rolled, the player moves one space and may roll again. In addition, if a player's pig is in last place when he rolls a black three, he may also roll again if he wants. As players move their pigs, the animals will inevitable end up on the same space and this is where the game gets exciting for kids. When the pigs share a space, they land piggyback on top of each other. Whenever a pig with another pig on top of him moves, he carries all other pigs on his back. It can be a big advantage to get on the top of a huge stack of pigs. The first player to make it to the end of the path is the winner.

My View
My sons and their friends have really enjoyed this game. Part of the reason is that there always seems to be a chance to catch up. If a player is in last place, they have an extra chance to take an additional roll of the die. A player can also quickly make up a lot of ground if he gets on the back of the pig in front of him. The piggyback mechanic also seems to balance out very well for the players. If one player is on top of a stack of four pigs, he will eventually be the last to move off the stack. What always seems to happen is that the pigs behind him end up on his back, at least one or two of them. So the game is very well balanced. And of course the kids love having huge stacks of pigs on the board. It's funny to land on another player or to complain when someone lands on you. Even moving a huge stack of pigs can be fun for the kids.

My sons also love playing with the pieces. They will sit and the table after a game and work on stacking the pigs in any way they can. The rule book has numerous pictures of possible pig stacks, so my sons have plenty of ideas. The game is easy enough for my two-year-old to understand and play and enjoyable enough for my wife and I to have fun playing with my sons. The piggyback mechanic makes up for the simplicity of the role-and-move mechanic, making this a children's game I have to recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.