Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Medieval» Forums » Reviews

Subject: So far so good! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep in mind this is based after one 5 player play.

Yesterday the MGG (Mage Game Group, Dusseldorf) played a 5 player game ( all new to the game except 1). Despite some concern after reading geek comments, we all had a great time. and please find below some comments:

First positive impressions:
-Seems to have good replay value
-Very accessible
-Very good multiplayer
-Takes a maximum of 3,5 hours to play
-The idea and design is simply brilliant and only therefore you should have a copy
-The bidding / battle system is simple but works great and give flavour and excitement
-Attacking is more rewarding than receiving an attack so just take money every turn will be your downfall eventually.
-The growing map is wonderful and drawing tiles and playing empire cards is exciting
-The map that is getting eaten away by Mongols is wonderful
-Money is everything! Without it you are doomed so better ask yourself why you are attacking and how much you are prepared to lose!

Initial worries after one play:
-I rather had seen larger cardstock map tiles rather than playing cards
-The chits are functional but uninspiring. There could have been more
-The ‘Action’ cards seem not that exciting / powerful. The Excitement lies in the new areas rather than civil war etc. I had loved to see a larger deck with more exciting variants.
-The Civil War effects were very minimal as Excommunication or Disaster markers were hardly there. I decided to discard more often than keep.
Maybe this is inexprience and after more plays we might get smarter!
- Throughout the game only two leaders were changed (one upgraded and one downgraded) and the chance was rather minimal to improve or stop a good leader. A bit frustrating as the whole game I kept two bad leaders. and failed two roles to improve one of them.
-Influence of the Mongols was poor in our game: two map cards removed, one withstood an attack.

Conclusion:
Yes there are some issues after one play but some of these points might change with more plays. It has not the great excitement as Twilight Struggle but I am sure with a redeveloped Card deck this could be the ultimate Card game!
In some ways it even reminded me of a simplistic version of Here I Stand. Certainly it’s not for everyone but the low rating is in my opinion not justified. The mechanics all in all work well but I had hoped for a bit more Card Excitement as far as the Action Cards are concerned.

Anyhow, first game was exciting and all 5 of us had a great time learning and playing. I will update my comments after the following plays. So far so good!

The other feeling is: what this game COULD have been in the light of Twilight Struggle and Here I Stand. Anyhow, I should view it on it's own right and will post more regarding this after more plays which will cettainly be the case!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The clever men at Oxford Know all that there is to be knowed. But they none of them know one half as much As intelligent Mr. Toad!
badge
“The motor-car went Poop-poop-poop, As it raced along the road. Who was it steered it into a pond? Ingenious Mr. Toad!”
mbmbmbmbmb
For larger maps, see http://www.gmtgames.com/gmt0wn.asp - look for May 10, 2005. We use the regular card-sized maps when drawing, but use the large maps when playing. It really helps the game a lot!

I'm a fan of this game, and don't know why it has a bad reputation. We do play with one house rule - see my comment in the rating section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,
I have downloaded the maps and will have a look at the house rule next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.