Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First the particulars:

Name: Jaunty Jalopies
Type: Card based Race Game
Contents: 63 cards, 6 characters sheets, 4 pawns, 4 markers, one Rule Book.

Imagine trying to capture the energy and hilarity of the movie The Great Race in a card game. Well Jaunty Jalopies comes close. The game plays quickly, unless you backstab your opponents and play mishaps or subplots on them, forcing them to use up valuable cards to remove those cards.

You also have the added complexity of playing a Hero, Neutral, or Villian.

As a Hero, you cannot play mishaps on your fellow drivers, and you're encouraged to help out your fellow drivers. Your reward for this good deed is your Karma hand, separate from your normal playing hand, it allows you to have extra cards beyond anything any other player can have. Of course you may have caused the problem you rescued your fellow racer from, but, eh, that is life, no?

As a Villian, your Karma hand is drawn from the Fiendish Plot deck. It's a bit sparse, only five cards, hopefully the expansion pack will add to it. You gain FP cards by successfully playing mishaps on other racers.

As a Neutral, well, you're a regular Joe trying to win this race.

The game can play fairly fast, if you're lucky to get a run of road cards, or you can sit there trading mishaps and subplots, and not moving at all. Some cards can even negate you winning the race, such as the "Visa Denied" card.

The first couple of games I played went very fast, till we started slinging subplots at each other. Then it dragged down between two players as we traded volleys.

Finally to make things interesting, there are six different drivers with different capabilities and special abilities. Angus MacTavish is custom made to be a Hero, as he can fix just about anything tossed at him. Fifi Le Boom can solve most subplots with just one card. And Otto Von Klank is tailored made to be a Villian.

Overall this is a fun and fast game to play, and does have good replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiher
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
Checking the http://www.ossgames.com web site, what I thought was an expansion pack for Jaunty Jalopies, is in fact Jaunty Jalopies 2! So please ignore my reference to an expansion pack from One Small Step Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Alvarado
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Motoring Madness
I pretty much only play Juanty Jalopies with Motoring madness. The two can be combined and you can play more players.

I like the card mix better and you can really do some amazing things.

I always try and balance out the game if 2 peole are already Villians or heros I choose the opposit. I have had a few games where everyone is a villian, and it can be pretty funny, but fighting for a few cards is hard enough.

If you want to win, go with a hero, build up your karma hand and race ahead to victory. If you want to mess with people go with a villian. If you don't want to deal with the minutia go with a nuetral and then you can just count cards and off you go.

It's odd all the high votes, don't have any comments and all the low votes have tons of comments. I am not sure what they did wrong to play for hours. If someone is not advancing just so they can play the visa denied, that seems like bad planning. Move ahead and keep it in your hand. You know your not vulnerable to it. Many of the problems can be resolved by resting. You gain 4 cards and can move ahead a space and rest again. There are few cards that send you back and many that send you forward.

Does anyone have a review of a game and how they played? It would be interesting to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.