Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Bosomworth
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Trouble is a classic. I can remember playing it with my grand parents 25 years ago and I've played with my own kids.

The game play is very simple, you use the pop-o-matic dice roller to move your men around the track to get them all to your safe zone. Each player must roll a six to get players out of home base onto the track. As you move your men around the board you have the ability send your opponents back to their home base by landing on them.

Positives
There is no denying that the real draw of this game for kids is the pop-o-matic dice roller.

The ability to land on a parent or grandparent and make the game harder for them has a great amount of appeal for a youngster.

For parents looking for educational value there is plenty of counting and with the ability to have up to four men travelling around the board at once it is a good tool for multi-tasking.

The men fit into plastic slots adding an aspect of helping with manual dexterity and making sure that the game cannot be ruined do to a bumped board.

Negatives

This game is way too long. If the rules are followed exactly 45 min is unrealistic.

The plastic slots are great for kids’ manual dexterity but I had a hard time getting my son to not put it into every slot every time he moved.

Getting stuck in home base trying to role a six is frustrating for anyone and especially hard for young kids.

Recommended Modifications for Parents

Here are some things I've done when I play to make the game go faster and be more enjoyable for kids.

Allow a player to leave home base with a six or a one. This doesn't remove the chance of being stuck in home base but it does make getting out easier.

Reduce the number of men you play with. Using three men instead of four cuts playing time significantly.

If a player reaches their safe zone they move right in. By eliminating the bouncing back off the top of the safe zone players don't get sent back to home base while waiting to get that exact "pop".

Overall

With the minor modifications this is a fun family game. 6/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cason
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right indeed. The game can be fun if you play it not alot. Otherwise it just get's boring. Probably one of my favorite classics. Don't see many people talk about these old classic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Koch
United States
Rocky River
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know about you, but whenever I played this game when i was young I always tried to get the die out of the plastic dome. I never was sucessful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.