$10.00
Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
109 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Puerto Rico» Forums » General

Subject: PR Gone from BSW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bsw [+] xbox [+] [View All]
Magnus Nyberg
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read this terrible news from the BSW forum.

Quote:
Dear players of Puerto Rico,

the rights for the electronic exploitation of the Puerto Rico gaming concept have been sold by alea to a new owner. Since there is no agreement with that new owner about whether or not the game may be offered here on BSW, Puerto Rico will unfortunately leave BSW tomorrow morning with the server restart.

We would like to thank alea for the good teamwork and the many great hours we had with this game.

Accordingly, the scheduled event of Puerto Rico at the BSW games will not take place. There will be a replacement event. More information on this in the BrettSpielWeltSpiele forum.

For now, the PR gaming rooms will be replaced with "Säulen der Erde". An exchange for other games will be possible for a limited time. More details upon this are to follow.


What am i supposed to do now? soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAT?!

Oh come on....that just blows. And not in the good way. But where chunks come out of your nose type way.

What is this new way they speak of?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a bummer. This was one of the primary draws for me on BSW...cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Nyberg
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so close to 900 plays, just 5 more.

BTW here is the link to the BSW forum thread.

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Forum/index.php/topic,85719.0.h...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very unfortunate news. PR is the very main reason I log onto BSW.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, that sucks.

Well ... I suppose, if anything, this will get me to play it more often face-to-face; I usually nixed ftf games simply because I could play it online.

Such is greed life ... oh be fair, greed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh! Terrible news! On top of Alhambra being taken away again, this just feels awful. At least I knew that Alhambra was only back for a short time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the worst boardgame related news I have heard ever... getting to play PR on BSW was one of the most memorable passtimes I ever had... this is devastating and I'm quite upset. soblue

I can't even imagine what I'll do instead

.... soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Being able to play these games online for free was a gracious gift. One should not lament its passing, as it means perhaps it is destined for bigger, better, (and not free) things.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Being able to play these games online for free was a gracious gift. One should not lament its passing, as it means perhaps it is destined for bigger, better, (and not free) things.


That is true but I am still going to indulge in self pity. It still feels like the passing of an era.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
nybba wrote:
What am i supposed to do now? soblue


Play the Evolver? It ain't pretty, but the AI seems good to me (not that I've played hundreads of games on BSW or any such thing). It's in the files section here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
nybba wrote:
Just read this terrible news from the BSW forum.

Quote:
Dear players of Puerto Rico,

the rights for the electronic exploitation of the Puerto Rico gaming concept have been sold by alea to a new owner. Since there is no agreement with that new owner about whether or not the game may be offered here on BSW, Puerto Rico will unfortunately leave BSW tomorrow morning with the server restart.

We would like to thank alea for the good teamwork and the many great hours we had with this game.

Accordingly, the scheduled event of Puerto Rico at the BSW games will not take place. There will be a replacement event. More information on this in the BrettSpielWeltSpiele forum.

For now, the PR gaming rooms will be replaced with "Säulen der Erde". An exchange for other games will be possible for a limited time. More details upon this are to follow.


What am i supposed to do now? soblue


I'm just guessing here... but buying a XBox 360 might be in order.


I'm guessing your guess is correct. Considering that they are now pushing to remove Carcassone and Settlers from BSW as well, since those liscenses were sold to developers to make those games available only on XBox Live for the 360.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just finished my last game...

this is really the end of an era for me personally and I'm sure for many of us boardgamers that frequented BSW. I still am in a denial of sorts, as if my mind can't fathom the fact that PR won't be there tomorrow....

I remember clearly my first game on BSW, which was also my first game ever (I had bought the game but didn't have anyone to play it with at the time). That was in August of 2002 I believe. Now it is February 2007 and 525 plays later I can say those games were some of the best times I've had in my life, certainly the best times I've had sitting in front of a screen.

This whole experience comes to show that nothing lasts forever. I took for granted that I'd be playing PR on BSW for years if not decades more, and now I will never play again... all I have is fond memories of the best game I ever played at the best website for real time gaming.

thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't despair, there is an alternative ...

I recommend playing on www.pr-game.com

the interface is just as good, maybe better than BSW, and you can play games at your leisure instead of at the breakneck pace demanded by most BSW users. I haven't been on BSW for months once I discovered this site.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but given the reasons stated, don't you think the same thing will happen to pr-game?

K
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Being able to play these games online for free was a gracious gift. One should not lament its passing, as it means perhaps it is destined for bigger, better, (and not free) things.


Bigger (and not free) doesn't frequently evolve to better...

Damn Xbox360, it's makers and paid online gaming to hell.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am glad PR has been axed.

Life is good again.

All is aligned in the kosmos.

Lrt the whining begin. It's almost as good as hearing Mets fans cry.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good news:
-Microsoft is doing a great job with their XBox 360. They're even catering to us by doing their homework and bringin great boardgames like Settlers, Carcassonne, Alhambra and, apparently Puerto Rico.

Bad news:
-This IS Microsoft after all so it looks like any other implementations of the games will be nixed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John;

I tried pr-game.com and found the turn based pace too unnerving

curious because I love the games on SBW and MabiWeb... I guess I was just too used to real time PR on the computer.


The PR interface on BSW was brilliant in how functional it was- I doubt any other implementation will come close...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:
Bigger (and not free) doesn't frequently evolve to better...

Damn Xbox360, it's makers and paid online gaming to hell.


Amen to that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot and steamy Puerto Rican love on my XB360? Yeah, I'm down with that! This can't happen fast enough. Sorry BSW people. Better to have loved and lost, eh?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmglidden wrote:
Hot and steamy Puerto Rican love on my XB360? Yeah, I'm down with that! This can't happen fast enough. Sorry BSW people. Better to have loved and lost, eh?


'Fraid I can't see any real reason for glee. What was once free, well implemented, popular, and readily available to all who had even a fairly poor Internet connection is now restricted to the paying few. You'll have to pardon me if that doesn't seem like a real triumph to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
What was once free, well implemented, popular, and readily available to all who had even a fairly poor Internet connection is now restricted to the paying few. You'll have to pardon me if that doesn't seem like a real triumph to me.


Here, here!

You pretty much sum up the 21st Century, neo-Conservative, corporatist point of view. Nothing freely accessable to the public can survive. Let's privatize everything! Makes me sick.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
'Fraid I can't see any real reason for glee. What was once free, well implemented, popular, and readily available to all who had even a fairly poor Internet connection is now restricted to the paying few. You'll have to pardon me if that doesn't seem like a real triumph to me.


If this is indeed going to Xbox360 LiveArcade (not confirmed, but probable) then it requires the initial $300/$400 console investment. Beyond the cost, there are all kinds of negative points to games moving from BSW to consoles:

1) When traveling, I can play BSW games from anywhere, just using my laptop and an internet connection.

2) Say goodbye to playing games with multiple people from the same home (something we did frequently back in my BSW days) -- unless you have multiple consoles.

3) For playing online boardgames, I'd rather not sit 6-8 feet from the TV.

4) No more in-game chatting. Sure you can do voice chat (I'm guessing), but I think I'd miss the ability to chat with whomever I like (in the game or otherwise) while playing

5) Harder to web surf or do something else while someone is taking forever to complete his/her turn

6) All of the BSW metagame stuff is gone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair to the publisher, it's probably hard for a business to turn down an offer to be paid for rights you had previously given away (I'm assuming BSW didn't pay Alea for PR rights).

Having said that, I'd like to see a finer distinction than "electronic exploitation" when it comes to these rights. For many of the reasons I stated previously, playing games on a proprietary console seems like a much different realm than playing games on a universal java client over the web. I can certainly understand Microsoft's desire to get exclusive rights... but what if the publisher counter-offered and said: "We'll sell you just the console rights."?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.