Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Club of Maryland
Game Design Competition
at GCOM’s Game Days
May 3rd – 6th, 2007

Game designers are invited to submit their entries for our first (and hopefully annual) game design competition. GCOM is a long established gaming organization that has over 30 locations in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. We also run several special events each year. Game Days is primarily an open gaming convention, attracting over 150 gamers with diverse gaming interests, background, and experience.

Rules of the competition:

1. Entrants may submit one game design. It must be an unpublished prototype - games that have been for sale commercially are not eligible. Presentation is not being judged - the game need only be complete and functional. Prototypes submitted to game companies but not yet published are acceptable.

2. The game should be an original design, not just a variant of an existing game. Of course games borrow ideas and mechanics from each other, but Monopoly with different properties or Risk on a different map is not what we are looking for here. There is no problem using parts from other games for your prototype.

3. We are not restricting the types of games that can be submitted. The most popular games our members play at this point are “euros”, but we have people that play just about everything: longer strategy games, party games, wargames, abstracts, dexterity games, miniatures, etc.

4. Games can be demonstrated by the designer, someone designated by the designer, or someone appointed by the organizers. All material needed for play should be supplied by the designer or designee. If you ask us to appoint someone, you will be given a name and address to send the prototype to. That person will review the rules before the competition and contact the designer if necessary. If you wish to have the prototype returned to you, a $10 fee is required for shipping.

5. Games will be demonstrated at least two times over Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If you or a designee are demonstrating the game, you must specify at least two days of availability. The person running the demonstrations needs a paid registration to Game Days. Details are at http://gamedays.gamesclubofmd.org

6. The maximum time players are requested to participate in a demonstration is 2 hours. A very short game may be played more than once. A longer game can either be played from the start or can be set up at a pre-set situation in the game. If players want to keep playing past this time, they are of course welcome to.

7. Players will fill out a survey at the end of each demonstration that evaluates the game numerically on several criteria (game play, originality, and fun) and also asks for comments. They may optionally provide their name and email address if they wish to be contacted by the designer about the game. All of these surveys will be returned to the game designer. To encourage participation, all players submitting complete surveys (including comments) will be entered into a prize drawing. After the competition, designers will also receive a certificate of participation and the overall results. The winner of the competition will receive a framed certificate memorializing the accomplishment.

8. To enter, contact the coordinator Rich Shipley - rich@rtgames.com for an application. A copy of your game rules will be required when applying. The number of entries is limited, so apply early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manfredini
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Check out Island Siege!
badge
Geekmail me for a Venture Forth promo!
mbmbmbmbmb
How will the results be tallied? It seems like the more you demo the game, the more surveys will be filled out, and therefore the more chance you have at winning.

If I submit a prototype but do not attend, will my game be played only twice (the minimum number of plays) through an appointed demoer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Manfredini wrote:
If I submit a prototype but do not attend, will my game be played only twice (the minimum number of plays) through an appointed demoer?

Two times isn't bad. I submitted a game to the KublaCon design contest and it was played zero times. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Manfredini wrote:
How will the results be tallied? It seems like the more you demo the game, the more surveys will be filled out, and therefore the more chance you have at winning.

We will be averaging the scores.

Quote:

Two plays is just being conservative since it is our first time running this. I hope to have more plays for each game regardless of who demos them.

To update: I have received some good submissions, but still have room for a few more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the cutoff for this contest accepting entries has passed... is that true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the contest is closed to new entries. I'm working on the schedule and the list of games will be posted of the Game Days website soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.