Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I've made some changes to the user moderation system, based on user feedback and further thoughts regarding how I want the system to work.

First, thumbs down are gone. In their place, you can flag items as rules violations, but you can't flag something down just because you think it is lame.

Second, thumbs and flags are totally separate; flags will no longer reduce the thumbs up count, and thumbs up will not offset flags.

Posts which are flagged as rules violations by enough users will still be collapsed, like now, but you will still have the option to turn off this filtering. Because thumbs up no longer offset flags, I'm not sure yet what threshold we'll use to collapse messages - I'll be tweaking it over the coming days.

While you can still see the thumbs count, the flags count is secret. This is intended to make it harder for people to "gang up" against a post people will have no idea whether a post has garnered flags, and so can't "pile on." This also should reduce hurt feelings unless a post receives enough flags to hide it, you'll never know it was flagged.

When you flag something as a rules violation, you must choose an option to explain which rule you believe is being violated. This will also be secret, but if I see evidence of individual users flagging posts for trivial reasons, they will lose the ability to moderate forums.

I have removed the lame clause, but in exchange, I have a serious favor to ask: if your post is flagged by enough people to hide it, do not complain about this. In particular, do not try to argue about whether you really violated a rule. Consider such a complaint to be in itself a rules violation, subject to being flagged.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Aldie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
Hurah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hhmm, when I click on "Rules" , a pop up ask me to log on dev.boardgamegeek.com... A loose end of the new code?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
Polls have proven to be quite popular though, are you considering a system for that Aldie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Aldie!

All posts with 0 or less thumbs are showing up below my threshold, however my threshold is set to -5. Don't know whats up, but it makes the forums basically unreadable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I need to check my defaults... things are being collapsed quickly and for no reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Chen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the flags start popping up, I realized that a bug I posted is probably related to the changes.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/156508

Basically, a lot of zero-thumb posts are getting hidden by default, even though my threshold is still set at -5. In fact, my own post was hidden by default. On the other hand, other zero-thumb posts are still showing up. It looks like the formula for calculating thresholds may have gotten dumped or mixed up in the changeover to the flag system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Aldie wrote:

I have removed the lame clause, but in exchange, I have a serious favor to ask: if your post is flagged by enough people to hide it, do not complain about this. In particular, do not try to argue about whether you really violated a rule. Consider such a complaint to be in itself a rules violation, subject to being flagged.

You do realize you just validated lynch mobs? (i.e. as long as enough people disagree with you, it doesn't matter what you said you are wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Aldie wrote:

You do realize you just validated lynch mobs? (i.e. as long as enough people disagree with you, it doesn't matter what you said you are wrong)

You never know which one of us is a werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Yet another change. I'll admit I'm not big on change, but... ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird. Posts with less than 1 thumbs-up are hidden by default. And my settings are set to show -5 thumbs and higher.

Edit: Oops. I see somebody already posted this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Aldie wrote:

I'd agree. I understand though that aldie doesn't want to have as many complaints, but it is a dangerous line, especially since it is still anonymous. I am so happy that he changed a big thumbs up to aldie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
BigWoo wrote:
Polls have proven to be quite popular though, are you considering a system for that Aldie?

I've been wanting to do polls for a long long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Aggressive collapsing bug has been fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Aldie wrote:

Help control the aggressive collapsing bug population. Have your aggressive collapsing bug spayed or neutered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Pippin123 wrote:
Hhmm, when I click on "Rules" , a pop up ask me to log on dev.boardgamegeek.com... A loose end of the new code?

Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Hooray! That was really fast. Thanks Aldie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like - especially if the implication of "flags" carries through as something that will flag a post for BGG admins to examine it for themselves before deleting/hiding a post...

In other words, this isn't so much a matter of lynch mobs, but of blood-hounds... if enough people point out (flag) a rules violation, then an admin steps in and kills it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
A Gren Fox in lieu of Miss Turtle Artist's fox
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Saint Johnsbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. Thanks for listening to the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
redjack11 wrote:
I like - especially if the implication of "flags" carries through as something that will flag a post for BGG admins to examine it for themselves before deleting/hiding a post...

In other words, this isn't so much a matter of lynch mobs, but of blood-hounds... if enough people point out (flag) a rules violation, then an admin steps in and kills it.

The plan is still to have it be mostly automated based on thresholds. That said, "wrong forum" notifications will go to admins so they can be moved and will not count against the poster. "Spam" flags will both count against the poster AND notify the admins so it can be removed quickly.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a good change. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.