Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night, WAANG got together for a cookout and gaming, kicking off with Wiz-War, a wizardly battle that takes place in a stone labyrinth.

The goal is to protect your two treasure chests while trying to steal two other chests and return them to your base, or just kill the other wizards. Spells and items can affect the environment, the caster, or your opponents to facilitate these goals, and the expansion introduces monster summoning to hinder other players (and occasionally yourself). It also allows for six players instead of the max of four in the base game.

Lest that sound at all serious, it's actually quite a light and silly game that should appeal to fans of D&D-like humor (PvPonline, Order of the Stick, Phil Foglio art, etc). It has a rogue-like feel (with a multiplayer twist) that appealed to the Nethack fans in us.

Ben, who arrived just after we set up, started with his pink wizard in the center of the recommended "plus sign" five-player map configuration, making him appear to be the logical target. Paul, however, remembered that maps wrap around at the ends, and snuck up behind me with the help of a wall-passing wand to grab the first treasure. Jon also encroached on my sector through use of a Dimensional Warp, but I put my other treasure in a Safe and he withdrew to Ben's sector.

By the time Paul got my treasure back to his home base, I was right behind him with a Swap Home Bases spell ready to go. This put both of his treasures in jeopardy, but he was devastating me with spells, including a Slow Death that cost me life points every time I moved. Smelling weakness, Steve (at full health and with no enemy wizards near his sector) moved in to take advantage.

I missed the details while fighting for my life, but somehow Jon lost both treasures (one to Ben and possibly one to Steve). Player elimination is never fun (for the one eliminated, that is), but I was out 15 minutes later when Paul hit me with a dagger and Ben won the next turn by getting a second treasure home, so the pain was brief.

Wiz-War is destined to hit the table again in short order, but it was now 10 pm and time to learn Die Macher (membership in WAANG clearly not being dependent on common sense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.