designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a few days early, but
On Board Games Season One Episode 003:
Critical Reviews and the Modern Board Game
is available
http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=203340

In this episode's round table Donald (Walsfeo), Scott Nicholson (snicholson), and Erik (Ayrk) discuss board game reviews and ratings.

In our Stoplight reviews Erik looks at:

Rat-a-Tat Cat
What's it to Ya?
Democrazy

In the Sideboard Scott and Donald discuss what we call games and why it matters.

Let us know what you think.

Cheers!

Donald
http://onboardgames.net/
OBG RSS Feed:http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
OBG BGG Wiki entry:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On_Board_Games
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian MacInnes
United States
Jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The last segment on how we label games was excellent. I agree that labels matter and that the distinction between American-style (theme oriented) games and Euro-style (mechanic/strategy oriented) games was appropriate. I hope it will help lay to rest an unnecessarily heated discussion. The fact that some people like games that emphasize theme while others like games that emphasize strategy is obvious and does not require defense of each genre.

I doubt the classic/traditional/modern classification will continue to work as games evolve and improve so maybe I would go for abstract/theme/strategy. This does not mean theme games don't have any strategy or vice versa, it is just indicating the primary emphasis. I would also call most boardgames "turn-based" as opposed to most computer games which are "continuous/real-time". The integration of electronics is an obvious distinction but it may not be quite as important from the perspective of the game as we make it out to be. Computer games will increasingly incorporate in-person social elements and boardgames will increasingly incorporate electronic elements but the distinction between turn-based and continuous will continue regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian MacInnes
United States
Jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The other thing I forgot to mention was my appreciation of the discussion of dice and probability. Most Euros have heavy probability elements so I have never understood why some people seem to think Euro-oriented players (like me) are averse to it. The times when I dislike dice are when they are used to tell a story that I have no control over and I have no way of responding to probability (which happens in some American-style games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jvalj wrote:
I doubt the classic/traditional/modern classification will continue to work as games evolve and improve so maybe I would go for abstract/theme/strategy. This does not mean theme games don't have any strategy or vice versa, it is just indicating the primary emphasis.

I agree that abstract is probably a better term, but I don't know that the non gaming public would understand the term as it relates to board games. I could certainly be convinced to use it instead of classic board game.

However, I don't really buy into theme and strategy as viable terms for the other primary descriptors. Abstract means no theme adherence, so perhaps strong theme adherence and conceptual adherence would work better, and I don't think those are very good either.

Arguably American style games could be called a simulation, while European style games use theme more as a representation to give the mechanics some context. So perhaps abstract/contextual representation/simulation, if only there were a good middle term to describe the Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good episode guys.

Your format for the podcast is nice. I am enjoying the commentary on many of the games I own, and your reviews, while short, are poignant.

I also enjoy your discussions.

One thing you might consider;

Right now you have a strong NPR feel... which is great, but I'de enjoy listening more if you had the occasional departure from the informative... I really can't say what it should be, i can only offer to point you to a podcast I DO NOT miss...

www.geekson.com

Enjoy, and I look forward to the next Episode....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryno8 wrote:
Good episode guys.

Your format for the podcast is nice. I am enjoying the commentary on many of the games I own, and your reviews, while short, are poignant.

I also enjoy your discussions.

One thing you might consider;

Right now you have a strong NPR feel... which is great, but I'de enjoy listening more if you had the occasional departure from the informative... I really can't say what it should be, i can only offer to point you to a podcast I DO NOT miss...

www.geekson.com

Enjoy, and I look forward to the next Episode....

Thanks for the feedback!

I've been cutting some of the goofiness or us being sidetracked, mostly because I'm trying to get three full segments at around 45 minutes. Why? mostly because podcasts where folks rant on and on past once they have made their point, or never getting around to a point, irritate me. I could leave in more off topic/goofy stuff though. Anyone else have an opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point. For me length is not an issue... I listen at work will I design, and usually find myself waiting for new episodes.

I think that air-able banter will come on its own.

Thanks for your effort, I know its a chore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian MacInnes
United States
Jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't often listen to podcasts yet so I may not be your target audience. In any case I find the NPR feel much more appealing than banter in the style of a morning radio program or local newscast (that style of presenting turns me off for some reason). What I have appreciated in your show are the deeper discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryno8 wrote:

www.geekson.com

It took me a while to warm up to the Geeks On podcast, but now I catch every episode. Thanks for the tip.

Heck, because they cover board games with some regularity I've added them to http://boardgamepodcasts.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.