Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Just got my copy of Siam: BEAUTITUL components. And I think I understand the rules, except for one thing . . .

I'll explain my question by means of an example.

Suppose you are playing elephants. You have an elephant facing a rock and you wish to push that rock forward. However, there is a rhinoceros on the opposite side of the rock facing toward your elephant. So of course the rhinoceros cancels out the strength of your elephant; but what if there is another rhinoceros BEHIND your elephant facing toward your elephant and the rock?

If I understand the rules correctly, even though the rhino is behind the elephant, since it is in the same line and facing the same direction, it can help the elephant push the rock and opposing rhino. Is that correct? And if so, when the elephant moves forward a space, does the rhino that is giving assistance move forward too?

And if there were TWO rhinos behind the elephant providing assistance, would the elephant and both rhinos move forward? What if only one of the rhinos was actually needed to overpower the opposing rhino? Could the elephant choose to move the whole line forward?

If anyone knows the answers, please help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to write directly to Ferti and ask them my question. They were very quick in responding. In brief, the answer is this: while it is true that an opponent's animals can help your animals to push, they cannot help if they are behind your animals. For example, if you wish to push with an elephant, and there is a rhino behind your elephant facing in the same direction, that rhino does not help the elephant push.

Anyone confused by the English rules should visit the Ferti web-site, which now has a video demonstration of a complete game of Siam. It is silent--i.e. there is no need to understand French--and very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, had questions about the pushing rules (the rules translation is awful). Thanks for posting this.

Edit: I can't find the video on the Ferti site. Is it gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked: yes, it's still there. Follow this link: http://ferti.free.fr/games/siam/

--Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good question. i have another.

consider this line of animals going from left to right:

elephant facing right (pusher)
rock
rhino facing left
elephant facing right (helper)

can the first elephant push? thematically it would seem that he could not because the helper elephant is not in a position to help (since animals can push but not pull). but according to what i know of the rules (and i've only been at this for 15 minutes), the orientation of everything in front of the pusher (and connected adjacently, of course) matters, and cases like this are not covered specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you push an opponent's piece off the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I no longer own this game, so I can't help with your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleus wrote:
good question. i have another.

consider this line of animals going from left to right:

elephant facing right (pusher)
rock
rhino facing left
elephant facing right (helper)

can the first elephant push? thematically it would seem that he could not because the helper elephant is not in a position to help (since animals can push but not pull). but according to what i know of the rules (and i've only been at this for 15 minutes), the orientation of everything in front of the pusher (and connected adjacently, of course) matters, and cases like this are not covered specifically.

No, you would not be able to push in this example. As you stated there is no pulling. So Rhino cancels out pushing elephant, which then leaves nothing to push the rock. The orientation of all animals in the chain does matter, which in this example means the right facing elephant doesn't work against the pushing elephant as it would if were facing left. But in the end it does not matter because of the Rhino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BobKo wrote:
Can you push an opponent's piece off the board?

yep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.