publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
On Board Games Season 1, Episode #4

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=216253

Web Site: http://onboardgames.net/
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com

Round Table on Starting a Game Group
Finding people, finding space, publicity, game choices.
Resources:
Boardgamegeek.com
warhorn.net
meetup.com
Yahoo Groups

Reviews
Twilight Struggle
Alibi

If you have any questions or comments, let us know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb

Scott sure does like to yammer away during these - never a boring moment.

Don comes across as the straight man (with the radio voice) but from personal experience I know better. Loosen up Don! You can always edit the occasional snide remark out in post production.

For my own personal tastes, I found the traffic light reviews to be too long. I'd rather hear about six to ten games with summaries of what makes the game good bad or ugly rather than so much detail on how to play. But, again, that's just me - others may like the longer format.

Specific to this episode:

- I discovered Scott's announcement about a Syracuse game group online and not through the newspaper (I get most of my news online rather than the local paper - I'm a wannabe digital native).

- I very much appreciated the warm welcome Scott offered during my first visit to the game shop on game night. It really made a very positive impression.

- To Scott's comment about replaying versus first play games we really need to provide some context. Scott almost always prefers to play a new game over a previously played game. The allure of the unplayed pulls mightily on Scott. Once we get past a few new plays (many of which are mercifully short and unmemorable and some are delightfully positive), we do get to bring out a known game or two. At the other extreme are those that play the same one or two games every week. I simply balance my visits to both extremes and bring along my own favorites in hopes of finding enough folks to make a go of it. I prefer to play something rather than hold out for a particular game and use patience to get my favorites into play. It seems to work out well for me. To make this happen, the group dynamic is playing with a varying mix of players throughout the evening. I make an effort to mix it up.

- As to player personalities, I've found some folks are a pleasure to play with for some types of games and less fun (for me anyway) for other types of games. Having learned this (a continuous process), I simply try to avoid being put to the test more than once an evening by mixing which games and with whom I play. It's all about the fun factor for me and having a good game doesn't mean winning. But, to each their own.

- With respect to the notion of finding folks you want to game with versus those you don't and how that relates to an open gaming group, to me it really is two sides of the same coin. Sure you can opt to find five folks you like to game with and then stop attending public gaming to avoid those you dislike, but you're really just limiting your access to new players you may find just as or more enjoyable to game with who are discovering that public gaming environment months or years after you did. I think maintaining a mix of public forum for discovering new players and mixing in private gatherings with known compatable players makes for a great solution. I have two groups of friends I game with, some of one group gather at the public sessions as well as a mix of private ones. The other group is really a cross-over from my online computer gaming friends (the yet-to-be-converted) and are spread out across the country so we don't get together very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to do one fairly in depth review an episode, and then several capsule reviews.

Heck Ron, if you'd like to throw in with some capsule reviews we'd love to have them. We've already had one excellent fan submission that will go in the next episode,if it is well received he's considered doing more in the future.

This was not the episode we'd planned on, but an entire round table and one review was destroyed and permanently lost. And while these technical difficulties prolonged the release delay, they did not cause it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chat with you off line on the format for capsule reviews and consider that further.

Sorry to hear about your technical difficulties - but even so, overall, I think things are progressing in the right direction in terms of style and quality of content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Barbosa
Brazil
Joinville
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
Hi guys
Another great show. Here in Brasil we don't have local stores with eurogames so we have to import. An imported game from US, that cost U$30, with taxes in Brasil is around U$75, but we have a strong community in yahoo groups with +- 300 members and some of them have more than 100 games. The Odysseia Games (http://www.odysseiajogos.com.br/) released here a brazilian version of Modern Art, it's a start, we hope they release more games in the future.

Keep the good hobby =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.