Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best entries in the Blue Games line from Asmodee, Dragon's Gold is a part of the ideal Bruno Faidutti's fantasy quadrilogy, along with Citadels, Castle and Fist of Dragonstones.

The game is set in a fantasy world where dragons try to survive to the hordes of greedy adventurers. With no much luck: heroes always manage to slain dragons without getting a single scratch. On the other hand, the issues rise when it comes to treasure sharing matter. Who is taking what?

Each player controls an identical set of four adventurers: a strong knight, an amazon, a wizard and a thief, each of them with an attack values that comes from 4 (the knight) to 1 (the wizard). They are meant to be used to slain poor dragons and take as much treasure as possible.

The game rounds are very straightforward: each player, in turns, choose one of his adventurers and place it on one of the available four dragons waiting to be killed on the table. When the total value of the heroes is equal or higher than the dragon's fighting skill, then the poor beast is killed and his treasure revealed (each dragon's treasure is divided into a public part and a secret part, this one revealed when the dragon is slained). Then, if more than a player contributed to the dragon killing, the negotiation starts. In 30 seconds the players need to agree on how to share the treasure, according to some easy rules (no treasure shall be left on the board, no promises for future rounds are allowed and so on...). If they do not reach an agreement the entire treasure is wasted. Treasure is composed by gold and various kinds of gems.

Sharing the treasure in a proper way is important because the final score is calculated according to some rules which take into consideration different combinations of the dragon's gems, so allowing a player to loot the right gems is very dangerous. It is important to rememebr which treasure players own, because the gems and gold are kept secret during the game. Using a Wizard or a thief in a "battle" allows their owner to use special abilites.

The game comes with 2 rule-set, the advanced one introducting a different (and more infamous...) scoring system and, most importantly, the use of magic items. These ones are well varied and will grant players different temporary special abilites.

The game plays very fast and a single game could be completed in about half an hour, making it almost a filler.

Dragon's Gold is fun and very "bastard inside": negotiations are of course the best part of the game and if you're playing with the right set of people you'll see lots of fun discussions and strategies. It soon becomes some kind of psichological war, also because other players will constantly interfere with the negotiation giving "advices"...

On the downside, better to avoid consecutive games with Dragon's Gold, there's no much variety to cover long game sessions. It's a perfect game to be pulled from the shelf now and then.

And now... the score!
The game deserves six ninjas if played with the basic rules, while seven ninjas are granted if you use advanced rules (with the magic items).
ninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjarobotrobotrobot

Also, after a lot of games I identified a nice rule-set: use the basic scoring system along with the magic items (and give a random item to each player at the start of the game). Works quite well like this, altough you lose the effect of the infamous black diamond.

The Bottom Line: Filled with "Faiduttian style", Dragon's Gold is one of the best negotiation games around. Very good as a filler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One of the best entries in the Blue Games line from Asmodee

Let me correct you...the BEST of, cause the others...not so good...at all. Democrazy is only fun if you are all drinking. Heavily.

It is a good filler, but I would agree to the "every now and then" comment. Not something you could play multiple times in a row. Not that you couldn't really, I just wouldn't.

I gave it the same score (7). I can't imagine playing without the "advanced rules," cause they really aren't all that advanced.

The only thing I can see adding to the game, is by letting every player start with a couple magic cards. Otherwise, there is not much I can think of to improve the game to give it a higher rating, than a 7.

Nice review sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
Let me correct you...the BEST of, cause the others...not so good...at all. Democrazy is only fun if you are all drinking. Heavily.

I disagree.

Both Castle and Lawless are very good games, for instance.

Quote:
The only thing I can see adding to the game, is by letting every player start with a couple magic cards. Otherwise, there is not much I can think of to improve the game to give it a higher rating, than a 7.

Yup, starting with 2 magic items is a nice idea too.

Quote:

Nice review sir!

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.