Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmb
You see, the expansion comes in a transparent bag and it features Nazi symbology prominently on the front of the rules (an "S" rune):

Clearly illegal in Germany, of course. My copy of the expansion had the offending symbols crossed out with a black marker by customs and I suppose I was lucky not to have the damn thing confiscated...

At least the base game itself comes in a shrinkwrapped box with no Nazi symbols visible (so it wasn't tampered with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These laws are unfortunate and ridiculous, there should be no restrictions in historical context!
I still have the Amiga game "Their finest hour", with all the Luftwaffe swastikas blacked out on the box, it´s hysterical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burkhard Nierhaus
Germany
Muelheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a shame that they've done this to your game cry
I dont think that there will be a change in politics about history here.
Not within the next 500 years shake
I wonder why they havnt 'banned' Sauerkraut .
Ps.: i hope my english isnt to bad .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 80's, I bought a plastic model at a shop in Mannheim, and the decal sheet was mutilated. I guess I can understand considering history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Heller
United States
Barrington
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
My apologies to all our overseas customers. I was careful to avoid the use of any swastika but, at the time, I had no idea about the "S."
Sorry about that, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Heller wrote:
My apologies to all our overseas customers. I was careful to avoid the use of any swastika but, at the time, I had no idea about the "S." ory about that, folks.

Randy (and to all German customers):

I had the same problem, but with the base game. Got it and they (not customs - the re-seller has to blacken the stuff out or gets the game confiscated! Customs are not so user-friendly) had blackened not only the rulebook (which looks ugly now) but also the counters. This was done so sloppy the SS Peiper became S iper. But they hadn't looked at the back of the counters so there the SS was in all "its glory" - so to say

Since it was important for me to have the counters clean and nice (especially with a beautiful game like this) I shilled out the few bucks to get replacement-sheets from Art (I got the game for a "throw it out" price from a non-wargame-store in Germany). Art sent them promptly.

The expansions was bought thru an US-vendor. Since it is not a box it comes as an envelope which will not be checked by customs. So I finally got an unspoiled rulebook too.

Randy, if you are interested I can send you a link for a German webside listing all of the (by law) forbidden - symbols. This is not only the SS-Rune and Swastika but also contains lots of Troop-signs (mostly SS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Heller
United States
Barrington
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, Wolfgang, the link would be appreciated. I'm curious to see if the hammer and sickle are also banned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Heller
United States
Barrington
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
All this nonsense abut the lightning bolt insignia will be dispensed with in the upcoming Designer Edition by Compass Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Perry
England
Accrington
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are missing the point, Communist symbolism had nothing to do with the German state and the atrocities carried out by the Nazis. Whether people agree with a ban is up to them, if I was German I might be offended by the symbols being used.

I think gamers sometimes forget what the pieces in a game actually represent, it is a fine line that we tread between glorification and gaming.I find it hard not to sacrifice, or cheer at the destruction of, the 2nd Panzer in any game, difficult not to after visiting Oradour sur Glane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.