Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin' Developin'
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
Welcome to the New User forum on Boardgamegeek. It is something of a mess, but don't let that scare you away.

The best way to find out information about the site is in our Wiki:
Welcome_to_BoardGameGeek
Guide_to_BoardGameGeek
BoardGameGeek_FAQ

Or feel free to ask your questions here. In fact, the fact that people are free to ask their questions here is one of the reasons this forum is a mess. Don't even think of trying to read back through it to learn about the site, by the way--that would be frustrating and probably very unhelpful.

Once you've gotten to know the site better, consider taking what you've learned, and improving the FAQ and guides in the Wiki!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Allred
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm trying to build a game and am trying to do a general post on if anyone has ever priced what it would cost to make pieces like axis and allies the board game pieces but I don't know how to do anything but ask one person at a time like yourself. thank you this site rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you post (as suggested) in the board game design forum, someone can probably give you some numbers. But if you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it, I'm afraid. Plastic pieces have large setup costs to make the molds, then the cost per unit made is relatively cheap if you make the in one batch. If you need to make more, you need to remount the molds. This is why many hobby games use wooden pieces, and many use off the shelf pieces: cubes, and so forth.

Really, what you need to do depends on what you're building the game for.

If it's just for yourself, the cheapest thing will be to scavenge pieces out of another game.

If you're trying to sell the game, all you need is something functional. A boardgame manufacturer will look past the prototyping and see the game underneath. Indeed, some manufacturers dislike a prototype that is too strongly themed, because while you may think trains are a great theme, the manufacturer may think too many train games are coming out and want a game about health care.

If you want to go into self-production, you might want to look at www.thegamecrafter.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.