Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Sistrom
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this game not ranked, even though it has a fairly decent rating (6.8) and a large number of rating (354)?

I am guessing this has something to do with being considered an expansion to Nuclear War. In reality this is just as much of a standalone game, with as many components as the original game it is a varient of and the latter game Nuclear Proliferation. The even more recent variant Weapons of Mass Destruction is a slightly smaller cheaper game but still very much playable alone.

Note that this game does have some true expansions that cannot be plaued alone but require one of the above (excluding WMD) to play:
*Nuclear War Bonus Pack #1 - Which makes most sense with NE but can also be used with NW or NP. Could, but would difficult to use with just WMD.
*Nuclear War Booster Packs - Can be used equally with NW, NE or NP. Could, but would be difficult to use with just WMD.
*Nuclear War Bonus Pack #2: Expansion to India Rails and Nuclear War - Requires at least one of NW, NE, NP or WMD plus India Rails.

I picked on Nuclear Escelation rather than the other variants to post this under as it has the highest rating of the four versions. I don't think the term "expansion" even though that is what is used by the publisher is really the appropriate term. These are all really "variant games" that can be combined together if desired.

Other game variants (eg the different Carcassonne's) each get their own ranking, so can someone help with how to get a seperate ranking for each of these playable by themselves variant games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why is this not ranked? It's a full game not just expans
Good question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions are not ranked. They used to be, but they crowded the rankings and distorted the picture. Nuclear Escalation is listed in BGG as an expansion, and so the software automatically doesn't rank it.

Of course, as it is a stand-alone game, it shouldn't be listed as an expansion. You probably want to email the admins about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing. It was bothering me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamma Mia is an example of a game that can be either played alone or combined with another, yet is not listed as an expansion.

Does the inclusion of some strictly expansion material warrant Nuclear Escalation being shunted to Expansion Land? Are there any other games that

a) could be played alone
b) could be combined with another game
c) included some expansion bits for the other game

that are listed without the Expansion designation?

I seem to think there are, but can't recall which ones right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted a game correction for both this and Nuclear Proliferation last week justifying reasons why they should be considered stand alone games as well. I see that they both now have a rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.