Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Shields
Australia
Inglewood
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question came up last time we played this.

Does Engineer in France still allow you 4 track placements as per the basic game?

My opinion is that it does because the rules would've said if it was only 3. A friend of mine argues that it reads like the engineer action changes completely to allow building in difficult terrain.

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No,

In the France map the Engineer simply allows you to build in mountains. There are no actions that let you build more than 3 hexes, even urbanisation counts as a tile placement.

I always get hung out to dry because I calculate in my ming that I can build 4 hexes then realise I can't.

Hammy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theway the rules phrase the action for a given expansion map constitutes exactly the powers of the action on that map. In France the engineer allows one to build in mountains; all other players (without engineer) cannot build in mountains at all. The base three hex track-laying limit still applies for the Engineer in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Hammy wrote:
There are no actions that let you build more than 3 hexes, even urbanisation counts as a tile placement.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What now? Your urbanized tile counts as one of the three pieces of track you build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Hammy wrote:
There are no actions that let you build more than 3 hexes, even urbanisation counts as a tile placement.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What now? Your urbanized tile counts as one of the three pieces of track you build?

Have a look at the AoS: France rules, "A Player selecting the Urbanization action may only place/replace 2 track, in addition to placing a New City tile."

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Shields
Australia
Inglewood
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krainer wrote:
Theway the rules phrase the action for a given expansion map constitutes exactly the powers of the action on that map. In France the engineer allows one to build in mountains; all other players (without engineer) cannot build in mountains at all. The base three hex track-laying limit still applies for the Engineer in France.

I'm not convinced. The urbanization action description is quite explicit. I would think that engineer was intended to be 3 tiles, it would've said so. Changing urbanization to only 3 makes sense (as a change) because its usually better than engineer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.