Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: newzealand [+] christchurch [+] [View All]
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

We had two new gamers on Wednesday (new to our group, not new to gaming), bringing the total to 5 n00bs in the last two weeks. Thanks to Jeff and Jo for coming! It was great to meet you both.

JB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just another reminder of gaming this Wednesday (May 14). There will be no gaming next Wednesday (May 21), as I have other committments.

As always, PM me if you need address details.

Thanks,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quick update - no gaming at Jason and Beryl's tonight as both have head colds. Back on board (no pun intended) for next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone interested in trying Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization at Jason and Beryl's this Wednesday?

Let me know and I'll bring it along. I will probably get there just before 8pm. (Assuming they are both back in the land of the living)

Cheers
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi John,

I'd been keen to play. And yes, we are back to the normally scheduled broadcast. :-)

Thanks,
JB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Again, a reminder for games tomorrow night. Same Bat-time, same bat-channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a quick reminder to say we're going strong on Wednesdays, and the occassional Saturday.

Also, we're planning our second annual boardgames weekend in Hanmer Springs. Spots are limited, but if you have a tent, then we can expand the numbers to accomodate. We've got a place booked for Canterbury Show Weekend (Nov 13 - Nov 16).

PM me if you are keen.

Thanks,
JB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIG thank you to Jason and Beryl for organizing the 2008 Hanmer weekend. Apart from the short period of time where I was struck by a mystery illness ( gulphangovershake ) I enjoyed every minute.

Here are a list of the games I can remember playing.

Arkham Horror: Six player game of the base game with a couple of expansion elements added. We were lucky and started with 2 Elder Signs and picked up another one on the way. The main thing I remember was Laurie killing everything in sight. Resounding victory to the players.

Race for the Galaxy: After about five plays I am still getting used to this game. I think I came last (again).

El Capitan: This game was new to the group but I don't think we got anything wrong. Interesting game but too many choices for my brain to keep up with.

Tantrix: New to me and taught by Gareth. I won but I suspect Gareth was being kind.

Mr Jack: Good game to keep me and Laurie occupied waiting for the others to finish.

Ca$h n Gun$: I don't remember much about playing this game. It was the night prior to my mystery illness and I may have been experiencing the symptoms.

Wits and Wagers: We played this two nights in a row after our brains had been overloaded during the day. One night as individuals and one as teams. I won one of the games, even though I got none of the answers right, thanks to betting on Jo's answers.

Werewolf: This was the first time for most of us and I really enjoyed it. I think this was also the night prior to my illness. Thanks to Craig for running it into his birthday.

Imperial: I really enjoy this game. This is my second time playing and my second win. That might explain why I like it....

Stone Age: I'm not sure what I think of this yet but I'm willing to give it another go to see.

Galaxy Trucker: I had a lot of fun playing this with Laurie and Antony. They were both swearing at me for turning over the hour glass while they were trying to make their ships. Laurie was hit by a lucky shot taking out one piece of her ship causing half of it to drift off into space. Laurie and I were also not familiar with the Epidemic card which caused us to loose lots of our crew. I am keen to get the expansion for this now.

Jamaica: This was the game of the weekend for me. I think I played it four times. This game was light and fun but also required a bit of thought. I still laugh when I think of the legendary "Liken Maneuver".

Book me in for next year.

Cheers
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the summary, John.

Gareth may be able to fill in some blanks of other games played over the weekend, as he was never struck down by the mystery illness. There were several games of Vikings, and at least one game of Pandemic. Gareth taught Senji, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am impervious to your mystery disease... cool

My first game for the weekend was learning El Capitán (with Jason, Beryl and John) and like John I don't believe we made any mistakes. There is a lot to think about when playing but I like it. I wonder how Martin (the Younger) will manage it, there's luck in what cards are available but most of it's player choices affecting things.

Second for me was Vikings with Joe and Nirvana and while I didn't lose this time I was still in trouble at the end because of the fishermen.

Puerto Rico and Pandemic were the last two games I played on Thursday evening (both with Beryl, Joe and Nirvana) and we had a three way tie for Puerto Rico before Beryl won on the tie-breaker. Pandemic was what seemed like an easy win, there was only one or two outbreaks and we were always able to deal the epidemics quickly.

Shortly after midnight Joe and I started learning Stone Age and probably took about twice as long as a 2 player game will in the future, both because we were learning and weren't taking the actions that end the game as early as we might have.

Before that was over the room we'd been alone in started filling up with the rest of you that were there and someone suggested Wits & Wagers so I tried to explain it to a group of people seemingly all in the early stages of John's mystery illness. It works well for what it is and I'm wanting to play again but it's a party game without any doubt.

Friday morning I taught Stone Age to Lauri and Craig, hopefully I didn't mess anything up because of the different limitations for different player numbers. After a very short time it seems that people pick up on the essentials but strategy seems to be a personal thing.
Later, probably that afternoon, Joe and I taught Antony and Nirvana. Again I hope that the different player count didn't introduce problems.

With the arrival of a couple of young women I got a little distracted from gaming for a time and I wasn't particularly interested in what others were playing anyway.

At some point early in the evening I ran another Wits & Wagers game this time with partners, and even with me not playing it was fun.

My last game on Friday (probably actually Saturday morning) was the game of Ca$h 'n Gun$ which I lost (apart from the early death, Jason being a little undercautious). John won, followed very closely by Amy and Lauri who were each only $5,000 behind and Beryl who was only $5,000 behind the two of them.

Earlier than that was the first game of Jamaica that I saw played, watching the portion of it that I watched between small writing sessions (and asking a few questions) was enough for me to pick up the rules.

Saturday morning after getting up I was going to try some of the solitaire puzzles in Tantrix but Lauri and John were both interested in playing so I explained the rules to John (and probably refreshed Lauri's memory) and proceeded to do okay. And no John, I wasn't being kind, I like the game but manage to miss certain potential plays. I nearly gave Richard a 40 point loop when I taught it on a Wednesday night.

That afternoon I was in a 5 player game (with Jason, Joe, Nirvana and Audra) of El Capitan and I don't intend to repeat it with that many unless I'm confident of few distractions. It was still a good game but too long for what it is.

I got to play Jamaica early in the evening (with Jason, Joe and Nirvana) and was fortunate in my final rounds to basically clear out Nirvanas hold so I had more than enough gold to win. One less theft and she would have won instead.

While waiting for something to happen (possibly people finishing food?) Joe and I were taught how to play Mr. Jack by John and Antony. I'll have to play again a number of times before I decide how much I like it, but it's definitely worth playing.

My last game for the weekend was started late on Saturday night as I attempted to teach Senji to Joe, Nirvana, Audra and Amy after skimming through the rules early that morning. We ended up taking nearly 3 hours, for a few reasons; the main ones being how long I took to read the rules and Audra being distracted by the baking she was doing. Good baking.

Other games which I know were played over the weekend but that I wasn't involved in included several games of Vikings (Joe and Nirvana mostly), Werewolf (everyone but me that was still up at about 2:00 am), Imperial (which I might have played if I wasn't going to teach Senji), Arkham Horror (which everyone is welcome to), Galaxy Trucker (which I want to play now I've seen it and read the start of the rules), Colosseum (Jason, Beryl, Martin, Craig and Antony ???), Agricola (which I'm fairly sure Martin won), Taj Mahal (Martin, Craig, Lauri and Antony ???) and Race for the Galaxy (which I do intend to play again at some point, after reading the rules for myself).
Games that didn't get played that I'd have liked to play include Mahjong, Hey, That's My Fish! and Alhambra.

A very good time for me, and like John, I'd like booked in for next year.
Thank you Jason and Beryl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm glad Gareth came along just for the fact of this ability to remember stuff - his other skills, attributes, and talents were a bonus! I was sure I couldn't remember every game played over the weekend, and I was right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbrice wrote:
I'm glad Gareth came along just for the fact of this ability to remember stuff...

Well to be fair - I do make lists and record game data as we go. And I didn't suffer the mystery illness that probably affected almost everyone else that was present. Sleep deprivation has little effect on me most of the time as well so I probably coped better than the rest of you on that front.
As for what I didn't play - I was asked to play most of it but said no for whatever reason. The rest I probably watched to some extent during down time of whatever game I was playing at the same time or while I wasn't writing like I intended to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a quick reminder that we will be continuing our regular Wednesday night schedule through 2009. We are having a BBQ and games at 2 PM this Sunday (4 January), so message me if you would like to come along, and I'll get back to you asap with details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Game night this weeks coincides with April Fool's Day... beware!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And to save Jason the effort, that isn't happening tonight
And this isn't an April Fools thing either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, thanks. No games tonight. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there next week!

Keen to try something new. And I'd like to at least look over PowerGrid some time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Power Grid is very popular with *most* of our group. There is one notable exception , but 1000s of Power Grid fans can't be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbrice wrote:
but 1000s of Power Grid fans can't be wrong.

Yes they can. They aren't in this case, but the popularity of Caylus eludes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I cant understand why anyone would want to play Settlers.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyG wrote:

I'm now only willing to play without Catan: Cities & Knights if someone is learning or I think they'll have trouble with the increased complications. But I still enjoy C&K after about four years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyG wrote:

Excellent... I've played Settlers 3 times, won every game against people who have played it more and I'd rather play Cluedo or Monopoly or just sit it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Settlers (in any format) is unlikely to ever be my first choice of game to play anymore. It got beaten to death through using it as a gateway game for folks new to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's an official welcome to Sam and Gregg who came along for the first time last night. Sam was a delight to play with, but Gregg showed a lot of nerve by winning his first ever game of Puerto Rico, and being just greedy by having three Gs in his name.

We are having an additional games session on Saturday this week, starting at 2 PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregg rang me today and raved about Puerto Rico. He's v keen to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.