Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: newzealand [+] christchurch [+] [View All]
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the appropriate juncture for a mwahahaha laugh? I can never tell.

If you come on Saturday I'm sure a Power Grid game can be arranged for you. I know of at least three that would be keen, assuming one of them is also going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bump!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to that bump...
There's been quite a lot of new games since the most recent listing of what's available.
Three I remember with no effort are Power Grid: Factory Manager, Chaos in the Old World, Endeavor
Cuba has also been played again recently after me not seeing it out for nearly two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Some games that I will bring along over the next few weeks/months and hope to get to the table:
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game.
Galaxy Trucker. I might even get to sneak some of the expansion bits in (I'm looking at you Gareth).
Snow Tails.
The Pillars of the Earth.

At the moment I am really enjoying Small World and Chaos in the Old World.

A few games I'd like to play this year are Arkham Horror with a couple of the expansions, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization and I would really like to get a Descent: Journeys in the Dark campaign going.

I forgot about Battlestar Galactica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyG wrote:
Some games that I will bring along over the next few weeks/months and hope to get to the table:
... Galaxy Trucker. I might even get to sneak some of the expansion bits in (I'm looking at you Gareth). ...

As long as no-one is learning I don't have a problem with the expansion bits (cards or tiles), it's just seems like too much for a first game.

And I'll happily play at least one more game of Snow Tails. I need to decide where I feel the luck/skill balance is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,

Yes sounds good - I can do with expanding my gaming horizons.

One of my gaming objectives this year was to at least give Chaos in the Old World a go, My one reservation was that Antony said when he played he felt like he couldn't even get started such was Martin's domimanance of the game.

I don't mind entering a game as a new player and expecting not to win, but if the gap between new players and experienced players is so great that I feel I can't make any type of progress or achievement in a game at all then it sucks the fun out for me.

I'll pass on Galaxy Trucker though - twice is enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyG wrote:

A few games I'd like to play this year are Arkham Horror .

I'd like to give this a go. Happy to try with or without expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a big turnout last night, 18 at my count.
At one point there were four different games going, including a new one (Power Struggle) that Sam had got a hold of. There were also (at least) two games of Dominion and one each of Galaxy Trucker (with the expansion), Endeavor, and Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've had a good start to my year getting in games of both Galaxy Trucker and Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Gamezombie.

The game of Galaxy Trucker included the expansion ship components and basic event cards and made for harder decisions and more diverse ships. The ships still survived too much for my liking shakeso I will have to see if we can slip in the Galaxy Trucker: Rough Road Ahead cards and/or Evil angry Machinations cards next time.

Hopefully by next week I'll have a copy of Tobago and Jason will have a copy of Dungeon Lords, both of which I'm looking forward to playing.

Cheers
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avron wrote:
There was a big turnout last night, 18 at my count.

Wow! I don't feel bad about not coming, though would have been keen for Dominion - no one wanted to play last time I suggested it.

If that looks like happening next week, I am more than happy to host an "overflow" session as a one-off event as my wife is out of town for 3 or 4 nights (including Wednesday) and I will be at home looking after kids. Anything is a possibility:

Brass
Goa
Automobile teaching session.
or whatever.

Just an offer - doesn't have to be Wednesday either - Friday also possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyG wrote:

Hopefully by next week I'll have a copy of Tobago

Cheers
John

That's another game I wanted to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My good run continues over the last few weeks with games of Arkham Horror, Snow Tails, Tobago, Power Struggle and four plays of Incan Gold.

We played Snow Tails with the trees and this added a bit more complexity but was also lots of fun. I am not sure about my "just plow through them and leave everyone an easy run through" strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of the rules I got wrong teaching Dungeon Lords last week.

CONQUEST

For every Room or Corridor tile destroyed by the pesky heroes you drop one on the Evilometer. This can cause the Paladin to move mid combat.

START PLAYER

At the beginning of the second year the start player is the person sitting opposite the start player at the beginning of the first year.

We played that the start player at the beginning of the second year was the same as the start player at the end of the first year, ie the start player did not change from end year one to start year two.

SPELLS DURING COMBAT

The Combat sequence side of the turn board has spaces marked for the cards which have the spells on them. Above these spaces are symbols matching those on the wizard character cards. The card on the left has 1 symbol and the increase by one as they move to the right with four symbols above the right most card.

For a spell to effect you the sum of the magic symbols of the wizards "visiting" your dungeon must equal or exceed the number of symbols above the card.

TRAP CARDS

To use a trap card you have to pay any cost as described by the card (or +1 gold if used in a room) for any of the effects to take place.

I incorrectly used a Gold Ring trap without paying the gold and though I didn't use the damage effect I did use the skip the conquest and fatigue step.

ALSO

In the second year whenever you purchase a trap card you draw an additional card and discard a card you do not want. The discarded card can be one of the ones you just drew or one you drew on a previous turn.

ROOMS

In the second year, rooms that require the use of Imps can be used twice.

TAX EVENT

This wasn't something we did wrong but as an option you can choose to pay none or only some of the required tax and take a penalty for each gold coin short. The -3 points per gold coin penalty at the end of the game would have to be weighed up with the cost of not having any gold in the next round to pay for food, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Tobago last week - really enjoyed it. I almost regretted buying Tikal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
SamNzed wrote:

Yeah, great game. I think it fits the family bracket really well, too, because there's a light feel, but enough strategy to make it interesting.

That one is definitely on the wish list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

Hopefully I'll make it at some stage in the next week or two so I can try it out before something else becomes the flavour of the month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
SamNzed wrote:

Hopefully I'll make it at some stage in the next week or two so I can try it out before something else becomes the flavour of the month.

As long as it's there I'll be willing to play. Unless there's a game of The Princes of Florence or El Capitán going at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to make a judgment call whether we will have games tomorrow night by 4PM tomorrow. It may be an opportunity to return to (relative)normalcy in the house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ward
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I'm looking to move to Christchurch by the end of this year from Leeds, UK. (If I get a job sorted!)

I'm in a great little gaming group here that meets down the road in a pub every Wednesday at 8pm - usually 4 to 7 or so people turn up. We play Euros & some war games.

I really enjoy Hannibal Rome v Carthage, Maria, After the Flood, Steam and am going to miss our group.

Sounds like your (Jason's) gaming group would be a really great one to join.

Regards,

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jim in saltaire wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking to move to Christchurch by the end of this year from Leeds, UK. (If I get a job sorted!)

I'm in a great little gaming group here that meets down the road in a pub every Wednesday at 8pm - usually 4 to 7 or so people turn up. We play Euros & some war games.

I really enjoy Hannibal Rome v Carthage, Maria, After the Flood, Steam and am going to miss our group.

Regards,

Jim

sounds like you'll fit in well
look forward to meeting you

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
jim in saltaire wrote:
Hi all,

Regards,

Jim

Good rugby league territory, that! Does this make you a fan of the the Rhinos? Or a fan of United?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jasonbrice wrote:
I'm going to make a judgment call whether we will have games tomorrow night by 4PM tomorrow. It may be an opportunity to return to (relative)normalcy in the house.

We are on for tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brice
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jim in saltaire wrote:
Hi all,

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Nice to meet you! Please come along... we'd love to have you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
SamNzed wrote:

We need to book in for games of Tobago and Chaos in the Old World.

I'm away next week but hope to be there the following week.

Cheers
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonbrice wrote:
jim in saltaire wrote:
Hi all,

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Nice to meet you! Please come along... we'd love to have you.

when Jason says "we'd love to have you" he of course means "we'd love to play games with you."

No maybe not. "We'd love to get you on the table..."

It's times like these that I remember why I don't tell people I'm a board gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.