Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is my review for the Board game Incan Gold, a remake of the popular Diamant.

Stats:

Name: Incan Gold

Players: 3-8

Play time: 10-30 min.

The game is set in an ancient temple, where adventurous explorers are delving deep into its secrets, seeking gems and artifacts. Each round consists of one of the 5 temple cards being turned over, and an artifact card is placed in the Quest deck. The game begins with the first Quest card begin turned over. There are two different types of cards in the quest deck, Hazards and Gems. (There is also one artifact placed into the deck each time a Temple card is turned over).

The whole point of the game is to get as many gems as possible. Each turn, players must decide whether or not they wish to continue on through the temple, or go back to camp. They do this by selecting either the Torch card or Camp card. After all the player’s choices have been made, the cards are all revealed at the same time. Those who decided to go back to camp take any gems they gained this round, and place it under their tent ( a card folded in half) They are now done for this round.

Any players who chose the torch card are still in the round. Another Quest card is turned over, and the game continues. If a hazard is ever drawn that matches that of a previously drawn hazard, then all the players still in the temple lose all the gems they gained this round, and the round is over.

It’s a push your luck type of game, and it’s absolutely fantastic. The artifacts add another dimension of strategy to the game, for once an artifact is drawn, the only way a player can claim it is if they, and they alone choose to leave the temple. If more then one player chooses to leave the temple at the same time, neither of them get the artifact. It’s quite a devious mechanic.

Overall I think this game is a wonderful alternative to some of the more brain burning games out there. It is quick, easy, and most of all, extremely fun. I would heartily recommend this game to anyone.

Components: 8.7/10

Incan Gold comes with two things: Cards and Gems. The cards are nice and sturdy, and the gems are made of hard plastic. My only qualm is the tent cards, which are just cards folded in half (I cringed when I had to fold these cards, it felt like I was doing something horribly wrong). I wish they had provided something a bit better, such as the cardboard crates found in the original version Diamant.

Gameplay: 9.5/10

An absolute blast. Quick, fun, and easy, with some room for physiological strategy.

Lasting appeal: 8.5/10

I’ve played Incan gold about 10-15 times now, and fall in love with more and more as I play.

Overall: 9.2/10

A wonderful surprise, this game has turned out to be a favorite among my group, and I recommend you try it out ASAP.

Note: Incan Gold is a Funagain Exclusive, so you won’t find it in stores. You can order it direct from Funagain, or Through Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chalker
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Incan Gold is a Funagain Exclusive, so you won’t find it in stores.

Not entirely true: all of Funagain's exclusives go to stores via their FRED Distribution program. http://www.freddistribution.com/control/fredlocator

Quote:
with some room for physiological strategy.

Does that mean you break the opponent's arm to stop them from playing? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
with some room for physiological strategy.

Does that mean you break the opponent's arm to stop them from playing? arrrh

I've found that you can usually dissuade others from trying to claim your artifact after a liberal application of Incan Liquid Gold (a Mezcal by-product).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
davethegame wrote:
Quote:
Incan Gold is a Funagain Exclusive, so you won’t find it in stores.

Not entirely true: all of Funagain's exclusives go to stores via their FRED Distribution program. http://www.freddistribution.com/control/fredlocator

Thanks Dave, I wasn't aware of that. Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.