United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Saturday night/Sunday morning tradition that began only last year at the World Boardgaming Championships in Lancaster, PA last year, Malloc, VuduJoie, Bobby Tweaks, and I sat down to a game of Gangsters. It was 2:00 in the morning when we started, the Slap Shot excitement wearing off. VuduJoie was involved in a game of Command and Colors Ancients, which got us off to a slightly later start than we meant to. Nevertheless, we were soon picking our joints and preparing to relive the excitement.

For those of you who have not read the session report from last year, the 2006 Gangsters game was a loud one where I managed to sneak a red monopoly victory because my three mentors were busy shooting it out with each other. And perhaps it was a mistake to mention that game on the Geek where all three players could read the tale, because there was a lot of notice for my gang early in our game.

One of the three joints I began with was Brizelli's Riverside, a one-hop joint on a roll of a four, where I placed my racketeer. I did not have the foresight to pick up a second green joint, so I did not have the opportunity to upgrade. To make things more exciting, Malloc's vamp immediately popped in to vamp me for one. On my next turn, since my racketeer's roll was miserable, I went criminal to try to take out Malloc's vamp. Bad move number one.

Bad move because racketeers only hit on sixes? No. Bad move because I was going criminal in a one-hop joint. The police showed up and took me down a notch or two. Malloc got his vamp out and then someone else got their vamp in. Brizelli's is just not the sort of hangout my gang should spend any time in. Leave it for the public.

Bobby Tweaks had a few big money hits. Malloc seemed to be leading in money, and I could not tell which way VuduJoie was heading. It could have been the late hour or the beer, but I was pleasantly surprised when they started to go easy on me. Now, there is not having the opportunity to continue to inflict pain, but each player had a shot to inflict more and more harm on my gang. My vamp and thug were earning, but not in a way that would bring in the big cash. Eventually, things began to move in the traditional manner towards the end game, and it was a tight one.

I decided that the previous method of winning might be worth a try again and jumped in to pick up three of the red joints in my next four turns, than began upgrading one to a two time joint. When the three public wandered in, I had a $3,600 payout.

Bobby Tweaks had nine joints, so we all began the process of gunning for him. My thug was able to stop him one turn, VuduJoie’s racketeer stopped another, and Malloc’s racketeer gunned down another joint. VuduJoie expressed dismay at his dice rolls by throwing the offending dice against the far wall, much to the amusement of Bobby Tweaks, Malloc, and myself. A friend from the last two WBCs, Tom P., who had been sitting in the room for last year’s loud finale, came in to see how the game was progressing. I looked at my watch at 5:30 a.m. and said to him, “In 24 hours, I will be waking up to go to work.”

Our efforts to prevent Bobby Tweaks from winning proved to be in vain. I think I fell asleep during the actual victory and awoke to have VuduJoie explain to me that Bobby Tweaks had won. Two fellows from another table came over to ask why we were so quiet this year. Last year’s game had made quite the impression.

So I walked away from Gangsters with a loss, but as I sat on our hotel porch (poolside) with a Natty Boh in my hand with VuduJoie and Malloc to watch the sun come up and a hot air balloon cross the Pennsylvania morning sky, my thoughts were only on the coming year. And perhaps getting a few hours of sleep.

Thanks to all who made this year’s WBC an awesome ride!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Buccheri
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
If you love America, you through money in it's hole!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby Tweaks controlled the the horizontal,vertical, and the streets of Chicago!! Thats right fellows I won the 2007 Gangsters faceoff!!
Consider yourselves Tweaked by the Eastside Gang!!! Better luck in 2008.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.