Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the main differences? Which one is more complex, more fun, etc etc...

I'm quite interested in getting Colossal Arena, but this made me curious. Maybe I should get this one instead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The clever men at Oxford Know all that there is to be knowed. But they none of them know one half as much As intelligent Mr. Toad!
badge
“The motor-car went Poop-poop-poop, As it raced along the road. Who was it steered it into a pond? Ingenious Mr. Toad!”
mbmbmbmbmb
Main differences:

http://www.panix.com/~sos/bc/galaxy.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The clever men at Oxford Know all that there is to be knowed. But they none of them know one half as much As intelligent Mr. Toad!
badge
“The motor-car went Poop-poop-poop, As it raced along the road. Who was it steered it into a pond? Ingenious Mr. Toad!”
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to be brief, had to do something - back now.

First, I haven't seen Colossal Arena, so I'm not sure how it's changed from Titan the Arena.

As far as Galaxy vs Titan the Arena goes, for the most part I prefer Galaxy. But oddly enough, I won't play it with people who haven't first played TtA. There's just too much going on to grasp, and newbies tend to hate it. The fact that every ship has a special ability as well as every power is too much for many people.

The only thing I dislike about Galaxy is the limited discard rule. There's a little too much luck involved because of it. So we alter it in some way.

They're both good games - I'll happily play either. My group likes Galaxy a bit better because we like games with combat and don't mind dice. Others prefer TtA. Then again, I have one friend who prefers the original Grand National Derby which doesn't even have powers ... tastes differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy has a lot more fiddly rules IMO.
I agree that newbies tend to hate it, which is why I'd stick to Titan: Arena or Colossal Arena (they're about the same - C:A has 4 new characters).

I find TtA more elegant and has a better ratio of rules-to-learn vs. enjoyment-of-gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Glassco
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Teach your friends to play TTA or Colossal Arena. If they like it a lot and are starting to get tired of it, then move them up to Galaxy. It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't try it with people who weren't already familiar with the fantasy version: as others have said, there's just too much to grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.