Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the scoring round when you ultimately sell all stock how does it work? The rules say: "Now each player cashes out by selling all of his or her stocks. In turn order, each players sells one stock per turn and adds the money he or she receives to his or her cash on hand. when all of the shares have been sold the person with most money wins."
Does this mean that each person sells all of one color of stock on their turn and then the next person sells all of their color, or does it mean each player sells one individual stock at a time.
So if i had 5 red stocks would i sell one at 20,then the next time it came to me the price would drop to 18 or so on (provided noone else sold red in between) or does it mean I would sell every red stock at once at 20 and then the next person if they wanted to sell red would have to sell all of their red at a single price per stock.

In other words does one stock mean one share of stock or one stock group.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You sell one share at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

Do you admit the rules are worded poorly in Buy Low Sell High? You know I never cared for this game; I just played it with John (as a 3 player) for kicks. I also know that in Palmayra what you state is exactly the case: the first to sell sells two (declining), and then people take turns selling at declining values.

However, in the Motley Fool version the rules keep using the words stock and shares seperately. This is where the confusion lies.

I never played Palmayra. I just think Buy Low is not really a game, but an excersize in moving pieces up and down. And I've won pretty much every game I played (lost 2 out of 8 I think.) Other issues....

First player doesn't get to buy two shares due to unfair advantage, but third player does? That makes no sense.

You keep the dividend cards throughout the game? That also seems wrong...

For some reason, this is a game I keep playing every once in a while, even though I hate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in either interpretation, not sure if it makes the game all that much better.

it just might not be a very good game.
I didn't hate it, but certainly could see the issues that were raised about it.
Want to try it again, now that I've played it once to see if maybe my impressions go up after repeated playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hwang
United States
Elmsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
First player doesn't get to buy two shares due to unfair advantage, but third player does? That makes no sense.

if first player played as normal, s/he would get to buy all the stocks at the lowest price. this is the unfair advantage. if the first two players' turns are restricted, by the time it is the third player's turn, the prices will have gone up, thereby taking away the unfair advantage. yes, the third player can buy more, but at a higher price.

perhaps the confusion is if you are doing this at the start of every trading year. this is only supposed to be done for the first trading year.

daveroswell wrote:
You keep the dividend cards throughout the game? That also seems wrong...

actually, you don't. the dividend cards are played onto the board, like any other card, and are removed before the start of the new trading year, like any other card.

also, only the dividend cards on the board are being counted at the end of the trading year, and they can be nullified by the breaking news during the trading year.

i only mention this to further clarify the dividend cards, since i'm not sure how one would "keep" the cards throughout the game unless you are counting the ones in your hand or if they were not being removed at the end of the trading year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.