Chad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well? Am I?
badge
Don't Blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunshine loves games. She has at least a dozen of them. They range from Chutes and Ladders and Candyland (no laughs, please) to Checkers, Dora Memory, and even MouseTrap (how I loathe that game). She even joins in watching my wife and I play Ticket to Ride. The catch is that Sunshine is 2. She loves the games, but more for taking all the pieces out of the box and matching them. Yes, that means the black trains MUST go on the black routes. As for trying to play a game, well that was out of the question. A game of Sorry quickly taught me that although she can count really well, she could not quite grasp the concept of the game.

Undaunted, I scanned BBG for a solution...and didn't really find anything that grabbed me. So, one day on an outing to the local gamestore looking for the Ticket to Ride 1910 expansion, Sunshine started running around looking at other toys, games and puzzles. Hmm, I thought, and started looking at some simple games. My eyes settled on Monkey Madness. Let's see: Color recognition - check. Taking turns - check. Counting - check. Short - check. Simple rules - check. Sounds like a good candidate. We left the gamestore with our new prize (they didn't have Daddy's game) and went home.

Months went by. We had opened Monkey Madness that night, but with no interest. Finally, we decided to try again. Ok, I decided to try again and Sunshine agreed. Sunshine decided she wanted yellow and green. I took the blue and green boards. We began.

Sunshine quickly caught on that if she didn't get one her colors, she had to "try again", a fact she reminded me of quite often during our game. I quickly jumped out to a lead, having 3 more monkeys out. Then she pounced, quickly gaining the lead back and beating me by 2.

A lot of 30-yr old gamers would be horrified to be bested by a 2-yr old. I was thrilled. I had a future gamer on my hands! Then she beat me again. And again. And again. My record was 0-4 against before my wife came in and beat us both.

Notes to remember when playing with a 2-yr old:
- They don't care who wins as long as they get to finish.
- They like to cheat.
- They are bad at cheating.
- They like to get caught cheating.
- Be prepared to play the game continously for at least an hour after beginning.
- Training a new gaming partner from scratch is the best way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brewbacker
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Training a new gaming partner from scratch is the best way to do it.

I couldn't agree with you more. Check out this (my) list:

A Geek List for 2 and 3 year olds – or - How to grow your very own game player.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17793

This should give you some ideas. Good luck and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well? Am I?
badge
Don't Blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
BrewB wrote:
Quote:
Training a new gaming partner from scratch is the best way to do it.

I couldn't agree with you more. Check out this (my) list:

A Geek List for 2 and 3 year olds – or - How to grow your very own game player.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17793

This should give you some ideas. Good luck and enjoy!

Great ideas. "Go Away, Monster!" is one I have my eye open for especially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M Shubert
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, if you want your child to win more often (but not always!): Stack the bag. Put in 7 for their color, 6 for yours. Now they win approximately 75% of the time!

Also, I always play one board each, even with only two players. A longer game doesn't seem to be any more fun; with shorter games we can play 2 or 3 games in a row before the attention span ends, and having multiple winners per session means more cheering!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Behrooz Shahriari
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_WaRPed wrote:

- They don't care who wins as long as they get to finish.

How do you approach this? Do you finish all the boards, even if she wins? And would you advise me to explicitly suggest to my niece that she carry on playing even if I win?

(Although stacking it 5v7 sounds tempting, to ensure a 1st game win.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.