Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Newall
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Tanga purchase brought Quao (pronounced ‘Cow’) into my home. With a family trip to the cabin over the weekend we found ourselves able to play a couple of games. Without too much begging or pleading I was allowed to whip out Quao and had a little 4 player game.

Components
You get the plain black and white box, with a picture of a cow on the front. It holds the 71 cards and rule book easily. The card stock is adequate for the purposes of the game. Number of cards might be an issue (more on this later.) For a cheap little card game everything was as I would have expected.

Rules
The rules take up about 4 or 5 pages, with a couple of pages at the back giving a couple of sample turns. Nothing too complicated. It took me 5 minutes to read the instructions. 5 minutes to explain them, and we were ready to play. The rules were only printed in English, if this is an issue with anyone.

Gameplay
There are 71 playing cards. And are split between the following:-

JaQuas – You have to make a comment on an embarrassing situation (Ex. Strangest place you have ever gotten sick)

BullyQ – You discard this in front of an opponent (excluding the Quao) and they must follow the directions on the card each and every time (Ex. Snort like a pig every time you discard a card)

Quak – Be a born entertainer. Silly things for you to do (Ex. Make a sound with a part of your body, not your mouth)

Cheata – Cards that let you Cheat, just a little. (Ex. Give one of the cards in your hand to an opponent.)

Quao – These are special rule cards that only the Quao can see. (17 different special rules)

First round is played without the use of a Quao. Each player receives 4 or 5 cards (depending on how many are playing,) and play starts with oldest player. Each player then discards cards and follows the directions on each. First player to discard all cards becomes Quao for the next round.

Second round, cards are shuffled, and a new hand of 4 or 5 cards is dealt to each player. The Quao picks up a Black Quao card and reads it to themselves, and lays it in front of them. They now get to discard first, and game is played as normal, except if anyone breaks any rules, such as not following a BullyQ rule, then the Quao (and only the Quao) can make the offending player pick up a new card. Because the Quao card is hidden, this can get quite frustrating because that is a rule that other players don’t even know they are breaking. As they pick up a new card a little clue is given as to the nature of the rule broken. Whoever discards the last card in this round becomes Quao for the next round. Round 3 is played the same except the new Quao picks up a new Quao rule and sets it with the old Quao rule (if they are indeed a different Quao from last round they may read the old rule as well). Game continues. This goes until the fifth and final round, when there will be 4 Black Quao cards in front of the Quao. Whoever goes out first at the end of this round is the outright winner.

Assessment
I have to say that this was one of the most fun games I have played in a while. Not one of the best games, but definitely fun. It is a quick little half an hour filler, where everyone can be silly and just enjoy themselves. If you care THAT much about winning a game, then please steer clear, because the luck factor is up there, and it’s all about the experience. The being silly reminded me of Quelf (the same company made both games. Wiggity bang Games), the winner becoming this almighty dictator reminded me of Scum, and the random rules reminded me of Fluxxx. But even saying that, this seemed like such a unique game.

One of the main downsides to the game though would be that there didn’t seem to be enough white cards. There are enough Quao cards for 4 or 5 games without the same rules being pulled, so this makes it hard to predict. We did find though that by the 3rd round we had seen all the cards before, in the same game, which made it progressively get less funny when certain cards came out. Doubling the cards available here would be enough to keep the replayability and the fun high on this game. I have given the game an 8/10 for now, just for the sheer fun of it, but I can see this going down after a half dozen to dozen plays. Expansions would help this solve this. Definitely worth the time and money. A good fun little silly game.

PS This is my first ever review, and I sure hope you guys will cut me a little slack. Compliments are always welcome though.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a compliment coming your way . . .great review. It helps me to know exactly what to expect without ruining any of the suprises found in the cards. I've been considering this as a Christmas gift to my sister and your review has helped me decide. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a good review that highlights both the positive and the negative in a useful way. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
Yes, a good review that highlights both the positive and the negative in a useful way. Well done!

Great review. I saw this game at B&N today and thought, "That sounds like a Commercial version of Mao, I have to check that out." It turns out that the game was re-released in 2009 with nearly twice the cards (their web site says 80% more cards). Unfortunately, there haven't been any new reviews since then -- but pretty much every review online says the same thing, "Not enough cards". For $9 I'll pick up a copy for sure, and I'll beg and plead to get it on the table so I can write a newer review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.