1 Posts

Aggravation» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Great for a Family with Young Gamers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Summers
United States
flag msg tools
I'll admit that a lot of the reason I like this game stems from the fond memories I have playing it with my family when I was a kid. When I saw it in a thrift shop for one dollar (with all pieces in the box) I grabbed it in hopes that my kids would enjoy it as well... It was a hit.

My kids are (at the time of writing this) 7, 5, and 3. Add in my wife and we have 5 players in on the action, with every one of us enjoying ourselves. The youngest needs some assistance in moving her marbles, but she loves rolling that die and knows that ones are good and sixes are even better.

In a nutshell, you have four marbles sitting in your base. You roll the die on your turn to determine if you can leave your base or not (with a one or a six.) After you have a marble on it's way, you simply move it around the track according to your die rolls. A few decisions will come up, the majority of which are quite obvious - but they are decisions nonetheless (which puts this game well ahead of Candyland and Chutes and Ladders.) Some of these decisions involve choosing which marble to move. A few good things you can make happen is to get multiple marbles out on the field and moving, moving onto the fast track, or landing on an opponent's marble to send them back to their base. It's not my intention to be thorough enough to give all the rules - but really, that's about 90% of it... pretty simple deal.

It's fun to get to a point where a specific roll will REALLY help you along (such as getting you on the fast track or getting your last marble in your "home"). The kids will shake that thing in their hands while chanting "Come on three! Come on three!".

There are some great skills to learn through this game that will help your kids as they grow into other games. These skills include rolling a dice in such a way that it stays on the table, counting, considering different choices and determining the best one, and being a good sport.

Certainly a lot of luck, but there ARE choices... actually quite a few of them - even if several are obvious. Like I said, this is one factor that definitely determines the value of a child's game for me. Another plus is you can generally pick this up at a local store (Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, etc.)

I don't EVER see myself pulling this out with just adults, but I don't cringe either when my kids want to play it. If you have young kids, I would say this is a great game to grab sometime.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.