Popular Tags: [View All]
James Weinrod
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
We're not proud.

Faced with the single-minded slave-driving insistence of our daughter, we roped a visiting friend into playing Trouble as supplication to the little tyrant. Ah, the things we do for the love of our children. I shall excise the usual grumbling about the awkward board and the demonic dice non-rolling bubble.

The problem with playing the maximum number of players on Trouble is that a tedious little game without much to speak for it somehow enters a timeless life where civilizations rise and fall before you can finally shove its struggling game-of-the-living-dead face back in the box and nail it shut. You say incantations of warding in the vain hopes that your child will forget it ever existed.

Faced with a board covered with cheap plastic pegs and limited moving options, we did what any sensible adults would do. We cheated shamelessly. Our daughter, being a imp of great enthusiasm, was far to involved in the experience of playing to observe our inexact mathematical skills, where pegs mysteriously stopped shy, or jumped over a suspected stopping point which would send the leaders back and prolong the suffering. Once our daughter miscounted and conveniently missed sending my wife's peg back. Our silence was deafening. We figured it counted as an excellent exercise in fuzzy math, because you know two plus two equals five for sufficiently large values of two. Ask a mathematician.

There was much mirth and laughter, and when it so happened that my roll happened to be the right number for our friend to take her last piece home and put the game out of it's misery, well, somehow she moved instead of me. My protests were suspiciously lacking, and I may now be hauled before a gaming tribunal for crimes against the spirit of lawful competition. I remain unrepentant.

Our daughter gleefully put the game away and immediately nailed our twitchy feet to a game or four of Uno. Lasting emotion scars, at least for our progeny, were avoided.

We're not proud, but we are relieved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Meighen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lol... gotta love kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Vaughan
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrible game... but my kids love it.

I can usually bribe them into playing a game of something more interesting first, if I promise to subject myself to the soul-sucking boredom of this immediately afterwards. So it has a use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.