Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Dore
United States
Trumansburg
New York
flag msg tools
Hi all,
I'm new to Dos Rios and I'm bewildered regarding the issue of whether a campesino can be driven off a casa. I've read through all the posts and I don't think I've found the answer. I can see from the dates on these posts that most of them are over 2 years old so I'm hoping that finally after all this time someone can provide the definitive answer. What's it to be? Can you enter the casa hex and drive off the campesino so that you can continue moving through... or is your entry into that hex prohibited? Patiently waiting...
Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go Take A Hike
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Where's the beef?!
badge
I don't think anybody's back there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Under the "Placing Buildings" heading of the rules:

Other players' campesinos cannot end their movement in a space occupied by one of your casas. They can move through a space with your casa, but only if you do not also have a campesino there.

To me that implies that you cannot chase off campesinos in a hex containing a casa since you are completely prohibited from entering the hex in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Dore
United States
Trumansburg
New York
flag msg tools
As you point out... it doesn't say (and the key word is 'say') that you can't enter the hex, just that you can't end your movement there. Everyone seems confused on this point and with good reason. Nowhere does it explicitly state that you can't drive a campesino off a casa. I appreciate your input Matt, but in the end your resolution is still just that.... your resolution. Still waiting for the designer or someone who has spoke with him to check in so that we can finally get this definitively answered.
Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Still waiting for the designer or someone who has spoke with him to check in so that we can finally get this definitively answered.

I was involved in that thread from back then, and I never got around to asking the designer, Mr. Delonge about this.

Sadly, he passed away a short time ago, so this won't be able to be resolved officially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frisco Blitz wrote:
As you point out... it doesn't say (and the key word is 'say') that you can't enter the hex, just that you can't end your movement there.

Well, if you look again,

matthew.marquand wrote:
Under the "Placing Buildings" heading of the rules:

Other players' campesinos cannot end their movement in a space occupied by one of your casas. They can move through a space with your casa, but only if you do not also have a campesino there.

It seems rather to explicitly say that if a space has a campesino in the same space as a casa, that you can not even enter it. Am I reading this wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robèr Boonmann
Netherlands
Geldrop
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you can't also enter a hex with other campesinos, even if there isn't a casa. The only way to do that is to run them off.

I can imagine that the can run them off if there is a casa on the hex, but afterwards you have to go to the next hex, because you can't stay on the hex with the casa.
But what's the use of doing that, other then anoing your opponents and send his campesino back to town.
Because normaly you run off campesinos to occupy the hexes they are standing on and with a casa on it, that is not possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Wechner
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to side with Rock. Seems plain as day to us from the rules. You can't enter a hex with a persons casa and any of their campesinos, full stop. Where is the ambiguity in the rules? Moreover it always made sense to us that our casas are safe havens. But heck if you insist on reading ambiguity where we don't, fine, and why not just play your own house rule? Surely it matters not a scrap in the end as long as all play by the same rule. Surely no-one is under the illusion that Dos Rios is a finely tuned strategic game or? It's always struck us as a beautiful, rather light very very tactical game in which the flow of the river can be so different between two of your turns, forward planning is frankly not a real option, and we basically play out six movement points as little more or less self contained parcels with an eye on the next harvest card or two (though even these are only useful if they are river cards, if they are field cards, these are in such low supply on irrigated land that you have to expect the next player to boot you off ;-). In fact the greatest puzzle of this game for us has always been why 5 harvest cards are laid out so you always see this turns and your next turns (in a four player game). No one has ever found it made an iota of difference knowing what their next harvest was. Very rarely the six movement points with a casa or two built en route perhaps are enough to score some cash this turn and hope for some 0n the next river harvest through "hopeful" strategic placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.