Popular Tags: [View All]
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We were eager to try out Vexation as we all had played TA a fair amount of times amd were interested to see how much depth the blocking pieces added to the game.

The game lasted 4 rounds, with me taking a good lead in the first by being more aggressive with the use of colored pieces for blocking (Me 13, Quyen 11, Tim 11, Ken 7).

Second round people were more used to the new pieces with Tim taking the round (Me 12, Quyen 10, Tim 11, Ken 5).

We mentioned to Ken that now was a good time for him to win a round and so he did (Me 11, Quyen 9, Tim 9, Ken 5).

The last round saw me winning and Ken falling off the edge of the world, so nobody else took note of their points.

Some Observations
Tim didn't like the blocking pieces -- he felt they only increased the luck factor in the game -- how so you say? It was his opinion that the persons most likely to be affected by blocking were those who had the most geographically diverse cities -- if your cities were all clustered, the new colored tracks gave you even more of an advantage.

The rounds were usually 1-2 turns longer, as everyone had to go around at least 1 block, if not two.

The player tracks made it less "gimpy" to go to either the West or East coasts -- since you could block at a mountain, you were not giving your opponent's an easy way to connect.

Playing two colored tracks in a row was often a strong play, especially when you were the only player in a region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
We've thought of playing so that you can only play one colored track segment in a round. Just one opportunity to derail the others. 3 chances to block them seems excessive. Just got it and haven't tried it yet, though. I was just checking on line here to see if others had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.